Breeding again.

Discussion on breeding & propagating marine fish, corals & other species.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding

gpsmart
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:23 am
Posts Per Page: Bedfordale, Western Australia

Breeding again.

Post by gpsmart »

Hi Guys,
Some of you will remember me from about 10 years ago when I was breeding fish and the occasional invert quite prolifically. Well, I’ve started up again on a smaller scale and thought it wouldn’t hurt to post here and see if we can create some more interest in RTAW. The local FB pages are fine but they are limited in both what we are allowed to post and the audience who sees them. I will post my new successes here and see what happens, hopefully some more Australia wide chat and sharing of ideas.

Gold Stripe Maroons
Image

Picasso Perculas
Image
Image

Orchid Dottybacks
Image

Hopefully more to come soon.
Graham
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:40 am
Posts Per Page: SE subrubs, Melbourne, Victoria, AU

Re: Breeding again.

Post by Macca_75 »

Wish this forum had like buttons.

Great job. Esp the Dottybacks.
parrdog
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2788
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:28 am
Posts Per Page: Engadine, NSW, Australia

Re: Breeding again.

Post by parrdog »

Awesome :thumbsup:
gpsmart
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:23 am
Posts Per Page: Bedfordale, Western Australia

Re: Breeding again.

Post by gpsmart »

Thanks guys, lots of work but well worth it.
gpsmart
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:23 am
Posts Per Page: Bedfordale, Western Australia

Re: Breeding again.

Post by gpsmart »

Collected a batch of Orchid Dottybacks last night. Unfortunately, I have had other priorities lately and my rotifer numbers are very low so the dottybacks may not do very well. I'll see what happens, you never know. They are only a few mm long, clear with black eyes. You can see a few of them in the attached pic.

Orchid Dottybacks - Day 1
Image
saltydog
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2618
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:50 pm
Posts Per Page: sydney

Re: Breeding again.

Post by saltydog »

Nice to see you back at it. :thumbsup:
Anything else in the pipeline besides clowns and orchids? Mandarin's again?

Stopped breeding about 6 months ago. Am starting to miss it. Was doing orchids and clowns. Getting close with gramma's

Chris
DTSTTCPW
gpsmart
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:23 am
Posts Per Page: Bedfordale, Western Australia

Re: Breeding again.

Post by gpsmart »

Hi Chris,
Good to be back, I’m sure you will cross back to the dark side sooner or later.
Got a few things in mind that I would like to do. Some of the other dottybacks, splendids, royals, diadems, neon etc. Hardest part is getting the broodstock over here, not much around at the moment. Would like to do some inverts, maybe harlequins again but I’ll need a new mortgage on the house to get a pair of those! Mandarins would be nice again but it will really depend on what broodstock I can get hold of.
Grammas have always been my nemesis fish. Plenty of nest building but no eggs :wall: might try black caps instead but need to do a bit of research before I fork out $500 for a pair.
Graham
Braddles
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1074
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:14 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane (Southside)

Re: Breeding again.

Post by Braddles »

Awesome work!!!

I too gave up breeding but miss it.

I just did clowns.

Might start up again one day.

Just ordered new cade reef pro 2 for now though :-)
gpsmart
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:23 am
Posts Per Page: Bedfordale, Western Australia

Re: Breeding again.

Post by gpsmart »

It definitely drags you back in after a while. It never gets old to get a new species under your belt especially if it’s one that isn’t done very often.
Braddles
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1074
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:14 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane (Southside)

Re: Breeding again.

Post by Braddles »

Do you have a reliable culture of rots and green water?

I’ve been in and out of breeding various clowns for years - but never tried anything else.

Last time I tried to use the flake / freeze dried “green water” with mixed success.

It polluted badly and needed to keep changing buckets.

I stopped harvesting rots too
And just kept feeding them lol. I think they imploded into an old stinky mess .

I think the trick is to replace 25% every few days of volume at minimum and even if you don’t harvest them - just give them fresh water..... I don’t think I did anything about adjusting salinity either last time.

Are you propagating your own green water?

Might have to buy some off you in the future if you’re happy to sell it :/)

What have you got on the go currently?

Brad.
Post Reply

Return to “Propagation & Breeding”