How is best way to kill aiptasia from live rock that I’m wanting to reuse in about a months time.
Basicly shutting down one tank,want to kill a heap of pest and then reuse rock in a months time in a new setup but want aiptasia 100% killed with no chance of It comeing back.
Not concerned about leaving rock filled with phosphate,just want aiptasia gone.
New tank will be cycled as per new setup,with existing liverock from a smaller aiptasia free tank.
Aiptasia Removal from rock.
Moderators: Moderators, Mod: General Discussion
-
kipper31
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1038
- Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:00 am
- Posts Per Page: Modbury Heights, SA
Aiptasia Removal from rock.
viewtopic.php?f=148&t=208637#p690065
Kipper SPS Reef
Kipper SPS Reef
-
uglyman
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2141
- Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:17 pm
- Posts Per Page: Pyalong Vic
Re: Aiptasia Removal from rock.
If you want to keep the live rock full of bacteria just get a small hobby butane torch and burn all the aiptasia you can find but for me I would acid dip then bleach the entire rock just to be 100% sure.
I got so sick of aiptasia in my system I nuked all my live rock with acid and bleach but they have returned thanks to some still being in my sump baffle and even to my amazement in the plumbing (No they don't need light to survive) grrrr.
Good luck
I got so sick of aiptasia in my system I nuked all my live rock with acid and bleach but they have returned thanks to some still being in my sump baffle and even to my amazement in the plumbing (No they don't need light to survive) grrrr.
Good luck

Uglyman's 4ft LED lit mixed reef
If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.
Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.
Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
-
Slartibartfast
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 155
- Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:13 am
- Posts Per Page: Carindale, Brisbane
Re: Aiptasia Removal from rock.
I have been very lucky, I got a single peppermint shrimp and it destroyed the aiptasia in two days flat never to return.
But yes, acid and bleach will kill most nasties. If you then have spare time I would put them in the black drum with saltwater and a pump and do a 100% water change once a week. Will get rid of some phosphate until you ready to use it again.
But yes, acid and bleach will kill most nasties. If you then have spare time I would put them in the black drum with saltwater and a pump and do a 100% water change once a week. Will get rid of some phosphate until you ready to use it again.
-
TbyZ
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 103
- Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:12 pm
- Posts Per Page: shellharbour
Re: Aiptasia Removal from rock.
I injected kalkwasser paste into the aiptasia & that seems to have done the trick
-
Aydee
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1996
- Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:12 am
- Posts Per Page: Canberra
Re: Aiptasia Removal from rock.
I dropped the rock in vinegar for about 5 minutes (Excessive I know). Then rinsed thoroughly. I mean really thoroughly. This kills a lot of the bacteria, but I then got a big plastic tub. Put NSW in it. Heater and pump. Drop rock into this with another rock that wasn't infested with aiptasia.
There will be enough die-off from this that you'll repopulate the rock in fairly short order. Basically do a little cycle with the rock again.
Will guarantee aiptasia is gone.
Dave
There will be enough die-off from this that you'll repopulate the rock in fairly short order. Basically do a little cycle with the rock again.
Will guarantee aiptasia is gone.
Dave
-
mcs
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 71
- Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:46 am
- Posts Per Page: Blue mountains, NSW
Re: Aiptasia Removal from rock.
Might be a bit late, but for future or for anyone else, a fellow reefer and i found that just wacking a bit of super glue over the top of them worked really well, i actually totally removed them from my tank in this way.
Cheers.
Cheers.
-
retro
- Lurking Reefer
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Fri May 18, 2018 3:28 am
- Posts Per Page: Brisbane
Re: Aiptasia Removal from rock.
I used the rock removal method and hit the Aiptasia ith a blo torch ,GONE
and I love the way they pop & sizzle
and I love the way they pop & sizzle
-
wrenfeathers
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 340
- Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:38 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney - Hurstville area
Re: Aiptasia Removal from rock.
Yeah, I did something similar to mcs. I used aqua kneed it. Coralline algae, corals, etc just end up growing over it anyway.
Pete

