Hey guys,
It's been a very long time since being on here and having a marine tank. Roughly 10 or so years.
So I wanted to get back into marine because I have always loved it and I had a Dymax IQ5 which has been running for about 3 years with a siamese fighter which sadly died the other week. RIP.
I decided to convert my IQ5 into a Pico Marine tank. At the moment it's going through the cycle.
Tank Dymax IQ5
Skimmer Dymax IQ Skimmer
Pump Dymax 200lt return (the one that came with the tank)
Heater 30w dymax heater.
I have the sponge and media the tank came with inside the chamber. (not sure if I should keep it in there or replace it with some rock)
2kg or coral sand.
2kg of live rock.
Does this skimmer look like it's doing its job?
I'll post more as the tank progresses.
[album]7985[/album][album]7986[/album]
Back from a 10yr break from marines. Dymax Iq5
Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals
-
psoul
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 245
- Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:04 pm
- Posts Per Page: Melbourne
-
555combo
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 457
- Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:43 am
- Posts Per Page: Manly, QLD.
Re: Back from a 10yr break from marines. Dymax Iq5
Looking good. Skimmer looks like it is still breaking in (cleaning itself). maybe dial it back a tiny bit once it is up and running fully.
My only comment might be that it looks to be a fairly deep sand bed. Not a problem in itself, but something to be aware of incase it becomes a trap for detritus and in the right conditions might become a proper DSB. http://www.masa.asn.au/masawiki/index.php/DSB
Otherwise welcome back to the salty side and looking forward to seeing the tank evolve.
My only comment might be that it looks to be a fairly deep sand bed. Not a problem in itself, but something to be aware of incase it becomes a trap for detritus and in the right conditions might become a proper DSB. http://www.masa.asn.au/masawiki/index.php/DSB
Otherwise welcome back to the salty side and looking forward to seeing the tank evolve.
Cheers,
Aaron.
*******************************************
4x2x1.5 Mixed Reef
AquaNano 40 Tank Journal - Now Shutdown
Aaron.
*******************************************
4x2x1.5 Mixed Reef
AquaNano 40 Tank Journal - Now Shutdown
-
psoul
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 245
- Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:04 pm
- Posts Per Page: Melbourne
Re: Back from a 10yr break from marines. Dymax Iq5
Cheers Aaron,
Do you suggest I remove some of the sand?
It sits at about 8cm high at the moment.
Pete
Do you suggest I remove some of the sand?
It sits at about 8cm high at the moment.
Pete
-
555combo
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 457
- Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:43 am
- Posts Per Page: Manly, QLD.
Re: Back from a 10yr break from marines. Dymax Iq5
Personal choice really. Me personally I would. I think about 3cm or so is usually enough that can be managed and still look aesthetically pleasing. It depends if it is just there for looks or is there as a DSB as well.
Cheers,
Aaron.
*******************************************
4x2x1.5 Mixed Reef
AquaNano 40 Tank Journal - Now Shutdown
Aaron.
*******************************************
4x2x1.5 Mixed Reef
AquaNano 40 Tank Journal - Now Shutdown
-
DanMang
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 225
- Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:24 am
- Posts Per Page: Ourimbah
Re: Back from a 10yr break from marines. Dymax Iq5
Nice looking pico so far mate. I've got an iq5 in the garage just collecting dust at the moment. I'm thinking I should start it back up. Keen to see the updates in n this.
-
psoul
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 245
- Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:04 pm
- Posts Per Page: Melbourne
Re: Back from a 10yr break from marines. Dymax Iq5
thanks guys,
I'm actually considering selling the iq5 now because I have the bug and want to go slightly bigger.
thinking of getting one of those aquaone mini reef 90 or 120. Well I'm trying to convince my partner to buy it for me for xmas.
I'm actually considering selling the iq5 now because I have the bug and want to go slightly bigger.
thinking of getting one of those aquaone mini reef 90 or 120. Well I'm trying to convince my partner to buy it for me for xmas.