Am I supposed to run protein skimmer during fishless cycle?
Moderators: Moderators, Mod: General Discussion
-
FishNoob
- Curious Reefer
- Posts: 26
- Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:45 pm
- Posts Per Page: Brisbane
Am I supposed to run protein skimmer during fishless cycle?
Hey guys,
My protein skimmer has been on since I got it and started to cycle my new tank 5 days ago, it's still making crazy amounts of microfoam and is overflowing! (It's getting better I suppose, the lid stays on somewhat now but before the foam was blowing it off).
I just realised that maybe I shouldn't turn it on during a fishless cycle because there's no protein to skim, thus why it's overflowing so badly? What are your guys thoughts?
My protein skimmer has been on since I got it and started to cycle my new tank 5 days ago, it's still making crazy amounts of microfoam and is overflowing! (It's getting better I suppose, the lid stays on somewhat now but before the foam was blowing it off).
I just realised that maybe I shouldn't turn it on during a fishless cycle because there's no protein to skim, thus why it's overflowing so badly? What are your guys thoughts?
-
555combo
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 457
- Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:43 am
- Posts Per Page: Manly, QLD.
Re: Am I supposed to run protein skimmer during fishless cyc
The other reason it will cause mass bubbles is if it is a new skimmer it may still be breaking in (removing all the oils and other stuff from manufacture etc). Once it is broken in and dialled in it should be fine.
I don't see any issue using it during the cycle.
I don't see any issue using it during the cycle.
Cheers,
Aaron.
*******************************************
4x2x1.5 Mixed Reef
AquaNano 40 Tank Journal - Now Shutdown
Aaron.
*******************************************
4x2x1.5 Mixed Reef
AquaNano 40 Tank Journal - Now Shutdown
-
fsamir
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 379
- Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:03 pm
- Posts Per Page: Palm Beach, QLD, Australia
- Contact:
Re: Am I supposed to run protein skimmer during fishless cyc
Keep it running. If it is overflowing it is because there is something to remove or it isn't properly dialed.
-
Ashlum
- Starting to get the hang of this place
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:48 am
- Posts Per Page: Brisbane
Re: Am I supposed to run protein skimmer during fishless cyc
If you’ve got live rock there will be bacteria die off and thus protein in the water column
-
FishNoob
- Curious Reefer
- Posts: 26
- Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:45 pm
- Posts Per Page: Brisbane
Re: Am I supposed to run protein skimmer during fishless cyc
Hey guys!
My protein skimmer is still overflowing. I have it set to let in the least amount of skim (dry setting) and it's still overflowing like crazy (the lid won't stay on and there's foam spray all over the inside of my sump!). There's nothing in my tank besides my fake live rock (so there's no die off), sand and sea water. It's been like this for like 1.5 weeks.
I notice that when I shake my sock filter that's holding the decaying fish food in it (that I'm using for my fishless cycle) then all the foam stops when it lets all the detritus from the fish food bag into the system. Is that normal? But before I started dosing fish food and it was just plain NSW it was overflowing too...
My protein skimmer is still overflowing. I have it set to let in the least amount of skim (dry setting) and it's still overflowing like crazy (the lid won't stay on and there's foam spray all over the inside of my sump!). There's nothing in my tank besides my fake live rock (so there's no die off), sand and sea water. It's been like this for like 1.5 weeks.
I notice that when I shake my sock filter that's holding the decaying fish food in it (that I'm using for my fishless cycle) then all the foam stops when it lets all the detritus from the fish food bag into the system. Is that normal? But before I started dosing fish food and it was just plain NSW it was overflowing too...
-
Alf D
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 4321
- Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:59 pm
- Posts Per Page: Fountaindale...Central Coast
Re: Am I supposed to run protein skimmer during fishless cyc
How high is the water level in the area where the skimmer sits?...you may need to raise the skimmer.
Try turning the air valve off and then slowly let some air in.
Try turning the air valve off and then slowly let some air in.
-
Jutscher
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 145
- Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:14 am
- Posts Per Page: Atwell, Perth
Re: Am I supposed to run protein skimmer during fishless cyc
Where is the skimmer located and how high is the water level? You could try raising the skimmer, it should help.
Also, what is this ‘fake rock’? Is it still rock? Some plastics will cause skimmers to go ballistic.
Edit: Beaten by Alf
Also, what is this ‘fake rock’? Is it still rock? Some plastics will cause skimmers to go ballistic.
Edit: Beaten by Alf
-
FishNoob
- Curious Reefer
- Posts: 26
- Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:45 pm
- Posts Per Page: Brisbane
Re: Am I supposed to run protein skimmer during fishless cyc
I'm using the CaribSea Life Rock (artificial life rock). I think I sorted my skimming issue, I had the bubble plate on wrong!
Should the bubbles come right up to the collection cup like this, or should it be lower?

Should the bubbles come right up to the collection cup like this, or should it be lower?

-
Jutscher
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 145
- Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:14 am
- Posts Per Page: Atwell, Perth
Re: Am I supposed to run protein skimmer during fishless cyc
A bit lower. You dont want a continuous stream of bubbles running into the cup.
-
FishNoob
- Curious Reefer
- Posts: 26
- Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:45 pm
- Posts Per Page: Brisbane
Re: Am I supposed to run protein skimmer during fishless cyc
Today my skimmer went down and even on its highest setting the skimmer bubbles are low! What is going on?! :L