G'day from Hunter Valley NSW

New to the RTAW Forums? Please take a minute to check in here, say hi & introduce yourself to your fellow Reefers. Feel free to provide as much or as little info about yourself as you'd like!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
Van Helsing
Starting to get the hang of this place
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 12:22 am
Posts Per Page: Hunter Valley NSW

G'day from Hunter Valley NSW

Post by Van Helsing »

.................

.........


G'day all,

Just joined up, thought up, thought I'd do a quick intro.

My name is Terry , I live in the Upper Hunter Valley in NSW. As a kid ( A Loooooooooooooong time ago now ) I had gold fish and the like, then in my early teens I got my first Tropical tank and just kept and bred the live bearing Tropicals. Summertime come and I would pair the fish up to the colors I liked and throw them into a dozen or more 44 gallon drums cut in half. End of summer I'd net them out and looked at what I got.I had no science in my fishkeeping. This was in the days long before the internet so all my info was from a small handful of books and being in a rural area, only a once every now and then trip to an aquarium shop for fish and bits and pieces.

One thing I always wanted was a marine aquarium and I did have a brief foray into one just before I left fishkeeping. My family went on holidays up the NSW North Coast ( I'm talking the 1970's here ) and I took a heap of water containers with me with view to catching some small fish up there and bringing them home to put in an aqaurium, from memory about a 3 footer or so. Remember, this is in the days BEFORE all the internet info was around with the multitude of info that can be found so what I knew then about Marine fish could be written on a postage stamp. I NOW KNOW this early marine tank foray was always going to end up in disaster. I was a kid in my late teens, had no idea what was involved in establishing a marine aquarium.

Anyway, I brought home about 6 or so bream, about 3 inches each. I think they lived for a week or so and that was my one and only go at Marine Aquakeeping.

I did get out of fishkeeping in my late teens when cars,girlfriends, then kids came along etc etc etc and that sort of stuff.

I have only just in the last 18 months got back into fish again, Tropicals at the moment only.

Now armed with the internet and now that I've found this Australian RTAW Forum I want to finally get that Marine tank I wanted as a kid and keep some fish that have the chance of living longer than a week !!! :oops:

I've already called in to a Aquarium shop a few hours from me that specialises in Marine and spoke at length with the owner, now I just want to get as much info as I can before I by a tank in a few months time ( saving for it at the moment ).

The tank I'm looking at for a first tank is either a Minireef 120 or a Minireef 160 to start off with. Dunno if they are good or bad but that's what was recommended by the Aquarium shop. The shop has been around at least 30 years as its the same shop I used to go to many years ago.

I know that patience is needed with establishing a Marine tank so in the meantime whilst I wait for my tank, I have a stack of reading up on here thanks to all you guys and girls ( Blokes :cheers: and Sheilas :talker: ) here .

Anyway that's a bit about me, was supposed to be a quick intro but as always, I've rambled on a bit..........oops :nut:

Cheers,

Terry

..................


............
555combo
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:43 am
Posts Per Page: Manly, QLD.

Re: G'day from Hunter Valley NSW

Post by 555combo »

Hi Terry and welcome. Hope you find what you need here. Feel free to ask lots of questions.

Hope you manage to stay a tank journal. Love seeing new tanks evolve.
Cheers,
Aaron.

*******************************************
4x2x1.5 Mixed Reef
AquaNano 40 Tank Journal - Now Shutdown
Alf D
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 4321
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:59 pm
Posts Per Page: Fountaindale...Central Coast

Re: G'day from Hunter Valley NSW

Post by Alf D »

Nice introduction Terry, take it easy and you'll get heaps of enjoyment out of the hobby.
bimborocks
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1034
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:54 am
Posts Per Page: Newcastle, NSW

Re: G'day from Hunter Valley NSW

Post by bimborocks »

Welcome, good to see another local on here :)
Van Helsing
Starting to get the hang of this place
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 12:22 am
Posts Per Page: Hunter Valley NSW

Re: G'day from Hunter Valley NSW

Post by Van Helsing »

..........

.....


Thanks 555combo, Alf D and bimborocks for the replies and welcome :cheers:

In the last few days I received my copy of " The New Marine Aquarium " by Michael Paletta that I bought off Evilbay. Been enjoying it so far and its "demistifying" for me a lot of the things about starting a marine aquarium that up until now had me quite a bit miixed up about. I'm sure there can be a lot of science involved depending on what is being kept but for me as a newbie so to speak, the simpler it can be, the better I'll be able to understand it.

Bimborocks, I'm kinda local , I'm up in Scone, couple of hours from you in Newy.

I'm getting my start up marine tank and setup from Crossroads Aquarium , being down your way I'm sure you would know them, I know they've been around a long time doing the same thing so they must be doing something right.!!! All the staff there seem great to talk to and happy to help a newbie like me start off my first marine tank.

Chees fellas, :cheers:

Terry.

......

.....
Post Reply

Return to “Member Introductions”