Hi all
I'm have a lot of trouble keeping some traces of po4 and no3 in my system, they are currently reading 0.
I am running gfo and biopellets in separate reactors and am just wondering how I keep some of the nutrient in my system, is it as simple as removing some of the pellets and gfo? Is it as simple as that?
I don't have a heavily stocked system with only 5 fish 2 anemones a goniopora and a handful of zoas.
can gfo and pellets be used without stripping all the nutrient or is it execess nutrient or none?
Keeping traces of P04 and N0-3
Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Advanced Discussion
-
Fancy1
- Curious Reefer
- Posts: 20
- Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:53 pm
- Posts Per Page: Singleton
-
Rod the Reefer
- Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
- Posts: 6683
- Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:42 am
- Posts Per Page: Greenhill, Adelaide, SA
Re: Keeping traces of P04 and N0-3
Probably need to know a whole lot more about your set up but honestly, with that bio load I'd stop the pellets and GFO.
I've ran tanks for many years without them.
Just keep a check on your levels.
Rod.
I've ran tanks for many years without them.
Just keep a check on your levels.
Rod.
-
Raven
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 785
- Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:32 pm
- Posts Per Page: Mirrabooka, Perth, WA
Re: Keeping traces of P04 and N0-3
yeah as rod says, need more info on your system.
If its a small system then you're better off with just water changes.
what bio pellet reactor are you running? Maybe look into modding it into a recirculating reactor.
This way you can control the effectiveness of the pellets and slow their consumption of N and P
If its a small system then you're better off with just water changes.
what bio pellet reactor are you running? Maybe look into modding it into a recirculating reactor.
This way you can control the effectiveness of the pellets and slow their consumption of N and P
-
Fancy1
- Curious Reefer
- Posts: 20
- Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:53 pm
- Posts Per Page: Singleton
Re: Keeping traces of P04 and N0-3
Thanks
It's a 700l system and I'm using clear water filters for the reactors. I can probably get rid of the pellets (put them in on LFS advice) but the gfo was put in for hi po4 which o believe is coming from the rocks. If I remove small amounts of gfo slowly will I eventually fine a happy medium of po4???
I'm have just been given a couple of sps frags and have read that 0 nutrient long term is detrimental to corals.
It's a 700l system and I'm using clear water filters for the reactors. I can probably get rid of the pellets (put them in on LFS advice) but the gfo was put in for hi po4 which o believe is coming from the rocks. If I remove small amounts of gfo slowly will I eventually fine a happy medium of po4???
I'm have just been given a couple of sps frags and have read that 0 nutrient long term is detrimental to corals.
-
Macca_75
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2772
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:40 am
- Posts Per Page: SE subrubs, Melbourne, Victoria, AU
Re: Keeping traces of P04 and N0-3
Also, what brand of kits are you using? If it's API then 0 does not = 0
-
Fancy1
- Curious Reefer
- Posts: 20
- Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:53 pm
- Posts Per Page: Singleton
Re: Keeping traces of P04 and N0-3
Using Hanna for po4
And Red Sea pro for nitrate
And Red Sea pro for nitrate
-
Macca_75
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2772
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:40 am
- Posts Per Page: SE subrubs, Melbourne, Victoria, AU
Re: Keeping traces of P04 and N0-3
Fancy1 wrote:Using Hanna for po4
And Red Sea pro for nitrate
Great kits
-
aristocrat
- Lurking Reefer
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:17 am
- Posts Per Page: Melbourne
Re: Keeping traces of P04 and N0-3
May be you need to up the stock in your tank slowly to increase the load. You could also gradually reduce a little of bio pellets and see how your system is reacting, you want to slowly get that balance, I'm sure you know that its not a good idea to do big changes at once, So I would not shut down any reactors at once. However is there a specific reason why you want to keep the nutrients up? I have had gonis and zoa at 0 nutrients for a long time with no issues.
Nowadays when I ask questions out in open forums I only get a knock on my head feedback. Sick of them arrogants. I have had no one ask me more questions to troubleshoot my issues but instead start criticising husbandry or equipment.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nowadays when I ask questions out in open forums I only get a knock on my head feedback. Sick of them arrogants. I have had no one ask me more questions to troubleshoot my issues but instead start criticising husbandry or equipment.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Damo
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2870
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:32 am
- Posts Per Page: Australia
Re: Keeping traces of P04 and N0-3
Fancy1 wrote:Hi all
I am running gfo and biopellets in separate reactors and am just wondering how I keep some of the nutrient in my system, is it as simple as removing some of the pellets and gfo? Is it as simple as that?
Yes