Cost effective Phosphate control
Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Advanced Discussion
-
Raven900
- Curious Reefer
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:00 pm
- Posts Per Page: Brisbane
Cost effective Phosphate control
HI,
I have an admission. I have... Phosphate. Lol.
I have a 1000l mixed reef that's been running for nearly 4 years and I always struggle with PO4 control. I've been running biopellets for years but it seems that no matter how many pellets I use or how much skimming I can't keep PO4 levels at 0 (Hanna). I do have a high bioload but I'd like to be able to keep a lot of fish. I suspect there may be some PO4 leaching from my rocks after years of low-but-not-zero PO4 levels.
I've tried supplementing with Nitrogen (Flourish Nitrogen) and I think this helps but doesn't solve it, and it's fiddly to keep a slight amount of N available without adding too much.
I don't really want to use LaCl.
I've set up a Caleurpa refugium and a Chaeto ball as well but they are slow and may not reduce PO4 enough. I'm going to construct a macroalgae reactor for the Chaeto, see if that helps. I'm considering a DIY algae scrubber but it's a big project. I think it might be the only solution but it'll take me a while to implement.
GFO is the easy solution but it's expensive. I've been using some lately with good results on coral colour and health but I don't want to keep paying that sort of money long term. I might need to do this in the short term though - what's the most cost effective GFO medium, in people's opinion?
Any other input or personal experience greatly appreciated.
I have an admission. I have... Phosphate. Lol.
I have a 1000l mixed reef that's been running for nearly 4 years and I always struggle with PO4 control. I've been running biopellets for years but it seems that no matter how many pellets I use or how much skimming I can't keep PO4 levels at 0 (Hanna). I do have a high bioload but I'd like to be able to keep a lot of fish. I suspect there may be some PO4 leaching from my rocks after years of low-but-not-zero PO4 levels.
I've tried supplementing with Nitrogen (Flourish Nitrogen) and I think this helps but doesn't solve it, and it's fiddly to keep a slight amount of N available without adding too much.
I don't really want to use LaCl.
I've set up a Caleurpa refugium and a Chaeto ball as well but they are slow and may not reduce PO4 enough. I'm going to construct a macroalgae reactor for the Chaeto, see if that helps. I'm considering a DIY algae scrubber but it's a big project. I think it might be the only solution but it'll take me a while to implement.
GFO is the easy solution but it's expensive. I've been using some lately with good results on coral colour and health but I don't want to keep paying that sort of money long term. I might need to do this in the short term though - what's the most cost effective GFO medium, in people's opinion?
Any other input or personal experience greatly appreciated.
-
Onsan
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 4009
- Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:25 pm
- Posts Per Page: Townsville
Re: Cost effective Phosphate control
either aluminium or ferric based with caustic regeneration would be the cheapest, but also most labour intensive.
MASA President
-
Raven
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 785
- Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:32 pm
- Posts Per Page: Mirrabooka, Perth, WA
Re: Cost effective Phosphate control
do some large water changes to bring the levels back down and then implement a GFO reactor to keep it down.
Seems like your pellets are doing the job but your N and P ratios are off so the water changes should reset this.
I used to have high phos and this is what i did and after that my N and P levels were 0 or barely visible on my salifert or red sea test kits.
Seems like your pellets are doing the job but your N and P ratios are off so the water changes should reset this.
I used to have high phos and this is what i did and after that my N and P levels were 0 or barely visible on my salifert or red sea test kits.
-
Raven900
- Curious Reefer
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:00 pm
- Posts Per Page: Brisbane
Re: Cost effective Phosphate control
Hi Raven (nice nickname),
Thanks for your reply. Maybe my post didn't paint the right picture.... my PO4 levels are ok (usually <0.05 on Hanna) and I tweak N using supplementation to keep the N/P ratio in the right range for the pellets to do their job.
I've been using a GFO reactor and it works, but gets expensive to replace GFO on my 1000l system.
I guess I'm asking what's the cheapest GFO in people's opinion? I will keep using GFO until I can get algae based solutions up and running.
Thanks for your reply. Maybe my post didn't paint the right picture.... my PO4 levels are ok (usually <0.05 on Hanna) and I tweak N using supplementation to keep the N/P ratio in the right range for the pellets to do their job.
I've been using a GFO reactor and it works, but gets expensive to replace GFO on my 1000l system.
I guess I'm asking what's the cheapest GFO in people's opinion? I will keep using GFO until I can get algae based solutions up and running.
-
wayne2.0
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 654
- Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:27 pm
- Posts Per Page: Redland Bay
Re: Cost effective Phosphate control
Cost v effect you cant beat lath
-
Onsan
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 4009
- Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:25 pm
- Posts Per Page: Townsville
-
PranK
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1435
- Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:46 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney, Elanora Heights
- Contact:
Re: Cost effective Phosphate control
I'm sorry but what is LaCl?
Have you tried dosing carbon?
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Have you tried dosing carbon?
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
My 6' Journal
My 5x28x24 in-wall experience
My tank uses 4.3 tonnes of carbon every year (1275 KW/h per 115 days). I have offset its carbon emissions, you should consider doing the same. (This was my 4 footer too!)
My 5x28x24 in-wall experience
My tank uses 4.3 tonnes of carbon every year (1275 KW/h per 115 days). I have offset its carbon emissions, you should consider doing the same. (This was my 4 footer too!)
-
Raven900
- Curious Reefer
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:00 pm
- Posts Per Page: Brisbane
Re: Cost effective Phosphate control
LaCl = Lanthanum Chloride.
As I mentioned, I've been using biopellets for years, they are a carbon source.
But I have started vinegar dosing too, see if that helps.
No one got an opinion on cheapest GFO?
As I mentioned, I've been using biopellets for years, they are a carbon source.
But I have started vinegar dosing too, see if that helps.
No one got an opinion on cheapest GFO?
-
PranK
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1435
- Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:46 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney, Elanora Heights
- Contact:
Re: Cost effective Phosphate control
Thanks.
I'm a big fan of keeping things natural. i have a heap of caulerpa in my fuge. How many hours of light does your fuge get?
Dosing vinegar/vodka is great but takes a fair while to actually see results, it's definitely not a fast process.
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I'm a big fan of keeping things natural. i have a heap of caulerpa in my fuge. How many hours of light does your fuge get?
Dosing vinegar/vodka is great but takes a fair while to actually see results, it's definitely not a fast process.
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
My 6' Journal
My 5x28x24 in-wall experience
My tank uses 4.3 tonnes of carbon every year (1275 KW/h per 115 days). I have offset its carbon emissions, you should consider doing the same. (This was my 4 footer too!)
My 5x28x24 in-wall experience
My tank uses 4.3 tonnes of carbon every year (1275 KW/h per 115 days). I have offset its carbon emissions, you should consider doing the same. (This was my 4 footer too!)
-
Raven
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 785
- Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:32 pm
- Posts Per Page: Mirrabooka, Perth, WA
Re: Cost effective Phosphate control
Raven900 wrote:Hi Raven (nice nickname),
Thanks for your reply. Maybe my post didn't paint the right picture.... my PO4 levels are ok (usually <0.05 on Hanna) and I tweak N using supplementation to keep the N/P ratio in the right range for the pellets to do their job.
I've been using a GFO reactor and it works, but gets expensive to replace GFO on my 1000l system.
I guess I'm asking what's the cheapest GFO in people's opinion? I will keep using GFO until I can get algae based solutions up and running.
Hahah your user name is what caught my eye to this post.
Like some people here lanth is likely the most cost effective and fastest way to reduce PO4.
Otherwise any gfo brand will do. in terms of which one is cheaper im not sure but seachem, rowa and continumm tend to be highly rated and efficient.
oh yeah...how'd I forget that.