6 x 3 x 2.5 Reef Tank
Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals
-
Shnea
- Lurking Reefer
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:23 pm
- Posts Per Page: Brisbane
6 x 3 x 2.5 Reef Tank
Hi All, I am planning and costing my new Reef tank, getting excited, I have my designs I am not sure on what way I will go with the sump yet, if I could get some input that would be great
[album]7913[/album]
[album]7911[/album]
[album]7912[/album]
So far looking at this equipment
2016 Apex Controller
Apex Fish Feeder
Skimmer – Nyos 300
Lights – Hydra 52HD x 4
Chiller/heater Teco 2000
Wavemaker – MP40 x2
Refugium Light – Prime HD + Hard mount
Ecotech Vectra L1
Not sure what to do for dossing pumps yet
As I said, I am in the planning stage and any input / lessons learnt would be great
[album]7913[/album]
[album]7911[/album]
[album]7912[/album]
So far looking at this equipment
2016 Apex Controller
Apex Fish Feeder
Skimmer – Nyos 300
Lights – Hydra 52HD x 4
Chiller/heater Teco 2000
Wavemaker – MP40 x2
Refugium Light – Prime HD + Hard mount
Ecotech Vectra L1
Not sure what to do for dossing pumps yet
As I said, I am in the planning stage and any input / lessons learnt would be great
-
bdinnerv
- Lurking Reefer
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:26 pm
- Posts Per Page: Chatswood West
Re: 6 x 3 x 2.5 Reef Tank
Thats a nice size tank, will be good to see it finished.
A couple of comments / feedback -
- A 2.5 high tank is a high tank - it is only 6inch's taller than a "standard" hight tank but it is a big difference from both a view point and a maintenance point. Ask yourself, how will you reach things at the bottom?
- Leading on from above, I see your stand is placing the tank some 850mm odd high and then add 2.5 feet on top of that and the top of your tank is a long way up.
- The NYOS Skimmer is a nice skimmer but it has a 330 x 410 footprint - I cant quite tell from your drawing but it looks like your under tank cavity is 850 high (or is it less, not sure if that is the total length of the leg or the length of the gap) and your sump is 600 high - 850 minus 600 leave a gap of 250 between sump and frame to get something that is 330 x 410 (and 650 high) - you are going to have fun getting your skimmer out for maintenance.
We are just spinning up a 4x4x2.5 high and went for a 650 high stand and a 300 high sump (500 wide) so we could access things and keep the tank as low as possible. I would have liked the stand lower but it is just too hard to find a skimmer that will fit - the best option is an external so you can get it out easy but it is proving difficult to get good DC controllable external skimmers in Aus - that is the only downside I saw out of the Nyos was that it is AC - we ended up going with a ReefOctopus Elite 200 for an 1100lt tank.
A couple of comments / feedback -
- A 2.5 high tank is a high tank - it is only 6inch's taller than a "standard" hight tank but it is a big difference from both a view point and a maintenance point. Ask yourself, how will you reach things at the bottom?
- Leading on from above, I see your stand is placing the tank some 850mm odd high and then add 2.5 feet on top of that and the top of your tank is a long way up.
- The NYOS Skimmer is a nice skimmer but it has a 330 x 410 footprint - I cant quite tell from your drawing but it looks like your under tank cavity is 850 high (or is it less, not sure if that is the total length of the leg or the length of the gap) and your sump is 600 high - 850 minus 600 leave a gap of 250 between sump and frame to get something that is 330 x 410 (and 650 high) - you are going to have fun getting your skimmer out for maintenance.
We are just spinning up a 4x4x2.5 high and went for a 650 high stand and a 300 high sump (500 wide) so we could access things and keep the tank as low as possible. I would have liked the stand lower but it is just too hard to find a skimmer that will fit - the best option is an external so you can get it out easy but it is proving difficult to get good DC controllable external skimmers in Aus - that is the only downside I saw out of the Nyos was that it is AC - we ended up going with a ReefOctopus Elite 200 for an 1100lt tank.
-
pebbles
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 3296
- Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 10:13 am
- Posts Per Page: sydney
Re: 6 x 3 x 2.5 Reef Tank
Love the 3ft wide, allows for lots of stocking /aquascaping possibilities.
About the stand height...one of the good things about an external skimmer is stand height becomes less of an issue. But if you go internal, I'd definitely consider a tall stand eg 1m. IME nothing is a bigger PITB than being constrained about skimmer choice because your stand is too short, or your sump poorly designed. Theres a good chance you may change skimmers if you're unhappy with your first option, too. Worth keeping in mind.
Regarding the tank height, is it a peninsula? If not, will you be able to reach the rear easily if you need to?
I guess you can choose a doser that is run by your apex??? On the stand alone front GHL make a reliable, if overpriced one. These days theres plenty of second hand stuff available, would be easy to find more affordable brands out there.
Look forward to your progress.

About the stand height...one of the good things about an external skimmer is stand height becomes less of an issue. But if you go internal, I'd definitely consider a tall stand eg 1m. IME nothing is a bigger PITB than being constrained about skimmer choice because your stand is too short, or your sump poorly designed. Theres a good chance you may change skimmers if you're unhappy with your first option, too. Worth keeping in mind.
Regarding the tank height, is it a peninsula? If not, will you be able to reach the rear easily if you need to?
I guess you can choose a doser that is run by your apex??? On the stand alone front GHL make a reliable, if overpriced one. These days theres plenty of second hand stuff available, would be easy to find more affordable brands out there.
Look forward to your progress.

angie
-
wayne2.0
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 654
- Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:27 pm
- Posts Per Page: Redland Bay
Re: 6 x 3 x 2.5 Reef Tank
I like the 2nd (end) option you have for the sump.
Good luck.
Good luck.
-
Shnea
- Lurking Reefer
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:23 pm
- Posts Per Page: Brisbane
Re: 6 x 3 x 2.5 Reef Tank
[album]7916[/album]
[album]7915[/album]
Tanks have been ordered
Stand has been built
[album]7915[/album]
Tanks have been ordered
Stand has been built
-
Shnea
- Lurking Reefer
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:23 pm
- Posts Per Page: Brisbane
Re: 6 x 3 x 2.5 Reef Tank
Things are getting real, I have been told the tanks are due to be delivered next Thursday
-
wayne2.0
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 654
- Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:27 pm
- Posts Per Page: Redland Bay
Re: 6 x 3 x 2.5 Reef Tank
Exciting times ahead for you 
-
Shnea
- Lurking Reefer
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:23 pm
- Posts Per Page: Brisbane
Re: 6 x 3 x 2.5 Reef Tank
Hi all, tank has been installed, rock is in and just awaiting its fill, I'd add more progress photos however I can not have more the 5 pics in my gallery
-
colg
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 am
- Posts Per Page: Mackay
Re: 6 x 3 x 2.5 Reef Tank
Get yourself a photobucket account, or another third party image hosting site.
Or,
Join your local MASX society to increase your gallery size..
Or,
Join your local MASX society to increase your gallery size..
-
swazzle
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 452
- Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:04 am
- Posts Per Page: Brisbane
Re: 6 x 3 x 2.5 Reef Tank
If your using your phone just download tapatalk. It's free and easy to upload from there
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk