Rotifer culture

This forum is used for MASA and it's member societies to announce society events, news from around the world, etc

Moderators: Moderators, MASA Committee

Post Reply
Seanus
Lurking Reefer
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:12 pm
Posts Per Page: Adelaide, South Australia

Rotifer culture

Post by Seanus »

Hi All, Happy New Year 2017
I am trying to breed ocellaris clown fish. At the moment I have 2 rotifer cultures, one started a couple of weeks ago and another fresh (delivered today). The first culture sort of crashed with high NH3 levels... i was able to restart it with a complete water change and sieving the remaining live rotifers into fresh tank water. I have moved clown fish (silver eye stage) into a rearing tank an a couple of babies hatched last night with a hundred or so due tonight. I have been measuring NH3 levels in the rotifers and always get a measurement of between 1.0 and 2.0 ppm. Even in the evening after a 50% morning water change. I have now measured the NH3 level in the diluted (1:20) Plankton diet and got a measurement of over 8.0ppm! I now know the source of NH3 at between 1.0 and 2.0ppm in my two cultures. The Plankton Diet is from Reef Culture Australia and has Nannochloropsis and Tetraselmis with Rotifer Diet Deluxe and Plankton Enrich.
I will change 50% of the water in the rotifers every day
.....is there anything else I can do?
.....has anyone used the Plankton Diet before?

Any advice much appreciated

I have added images of the Plankton Diet to my gallery
Cheers

Sean
SantaMonica
Centurion Reefer
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:32 pm
Posts Per Page: Santa Monica, California, USA

Re: Rotifer culture

Post by SantaMonica »

This might be better in the Propagation forum.
Post Reply

Return to “MASA, Australian & World News & Events”