Mielo's 1200L Octagon Tank Journal

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Mielo
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 3:10 am
Posts Per Page: Campbelltown, Sydney

Mielo's 1200L Octagon Tank Journal

Post by Mielo »

Hi all

It has been over 6 years since I last shut down my 10 footer. Its been hell suffering the withdrawal symptoms, but I am finally back. I purchased a second hand ex display fully equipped Octagon tank from an LFS.

System Objectives: A beautiful, FOWLR or healthy reef system. (Not sure yet)

Strike up Date: TBC

Display Tank: 1100 x 1100 x 900 15mm glass Weir situated in middle of the tank with 3 x 25mm, 2 x 32mm holes

Display Lighting: (Work in Progress)

Stand: Came with tank but will be replaced

Hood: Came with tank but will be replaced

Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water

Display Water circulation: Flow of the return pumps

Return Pump: Aquamedic 6500 Ocean Runner x 2

Skimmer: Aqua Medic Turbofloater Multi SL 1000

Heaters: 3 x 300w Jager

Evaporation Top Up: DIY auto topup

RO filtration: 4 stage reverse osmosis wall mount unit with an De-ionization post filter

Live Rock: TBC

TANK
Image
Image

WEIR
As mentioned above, the tank has a central weir with 3 x 25mm holes and 2 32mm holes (see pics below)
Image
Image

At the LFS, 2 of the 25mm holes (end ones) were used for gravity feeding the sump and one in the middle was used to run an electrical wire from the roof to supply electricity to the equipment in the sump. I will most probably use the middle one for the electrical wire, but was considering installing a Herbie system with the other two holes (Thoughts?)

The LFS ran 2 x 6500 Aquamedic Ocean runners and each was allocated to a 32mm hole for the return. That must of been some serious flow in the tank via the 4 x 20mm outlet at the top of the weir (see pic below) I will most probably continue with this return system. The return connections have a ball valve connected to control the flow

RETURN CONNECTIONS
Image

SUMP
The sump provided was more geared for housing all the equipment with bioballs (see pic below) so I am in the process of redesigning the sump to incorporate a refugium on one side, sump on the other and the return pump in the middle. All three compartment will be separated by baffles to trap any bubbles.
Image

My 10 footer I had previously was a great success mainly due to the invaluable feedback/advise received from you guys on MASA, so please any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Mielo on Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:27 pm
Posts Per Page: Redland Bay

Re: Mielo's 1200 ltr Octogan Tank Journal

Post by wayne2.0 »

With a Tank of this design, I can't help thinking to watch the fish swim in an endless loop as such would be great.

With the depth you are going to need some good lights, and long arms to clean it lol
Mielo
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 3:10 am
Posts Per Page: Campbelltown, Sydney

Re: Mielo's 1200L Octagon Tank Journal

Post by Mielo »

Image
Image

I was busy cleaning the tank on the inside when I saw that the glass tubing placed in some of the joins were damaged (See 2nd pic above). As you can see (sorry for the mess in the background) that the bottom part of the glass tubing is broken and there are pretty sharp edges protruding. The one in the pic is one of the worst ones, there are another two tubes that has been slightly damaged but the rest appear in tact. I guess it comes with the territory when buying a secondhand tank. The issue I have is that this could potentially hurt my livestock in the tank or worst still could affect the integrity of the water tight seal between the two pieces of glass.

I mentioned this to the LFS and he confirmed the tubing is just there for aesthetic purposes and all I have to do is cover it with some silicone to cover up the sharp edges.

I realise that you guys are not tank builders but any feedback would be appreciated.
Mielo
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 3:10 am
Posts Per Page: Campbelltown, Sydney

Re: Mielo's 1200L Octagon Tank Journal

Post by Mielo »

Anyone have any suggestions/ideas on how to aquascape this tank? I have read through a few journals but there are none that considers a central weir.
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:27 pm
Posts Per Page: Redland Bay

Re: Mielo's 1200L Octagon Tank Journal

Post by wayne2.0 »

When I was in WA a decade or so ago one member had a large square tank with a central weir. He had secured the live rock around the weir so it looked like a wall of rock then had shelf's coming out for extra coral spot if I remember correctly.
Mielo
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 3:10 am
Posts Per Page: Campbelltown, Sydney

Re: Mielo's 1200L Octagon Tank Journal

Post by Mielo »

wayne2.0 wrote:When I was in WA a decade or so ago one member had a large square tank with a central weir. He had secured the live rock around the weir so it looked like a wall of rock then had shelf's coming out for extra coral spot if I remember correctly.


Hi Wayne

Do you perhaps have any idea how he secured the Liverock to the weir?
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:27 pm
Posts Per Page: Redland Bay

Re: Mielo's 1200L Octagon Tank Journal

Post by wayne2.0 »

20mm electrical conduit and 90 deg connections etc , plus cable ties. Built a frame around the weir and cable tied the rock to the frame. You can wiggle a screwdriver trough live rock to make the holes, or drill just dont add to much force on the rock or it crack.
Mielo
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 3:10 am
Posts Per Page: Campbelltown, Sydney

Re: Mielo's 1200L Octagon Tank Journal

Post by Mielo »

wayne2.0 wrote:20mm electrical conduit and 90 deg connections etc , plus cable ties. Built a frame around the weir and cable tied the rock to the frame. You can wiggle a screwdriver trough live rock to make the holes, or drill just dont add to much force on the rock or it crack.


Thank you Wayne :thumbsup:
Mielo
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 3:10 am
Posts Per Page: Campbelltown, Sydney

Re: Mielo's 1200L Octagon Tank Journal

Post by Mielo »

wayne2.0 wrote:20mm electrical conduit and 90 deg connections etc , plus cable ties. Built a frame around the weir and cable tied the rock to the frame. You can wiggle a screwdriver trough live rock to make the holes, or drill just dont add to much force on the rock or it crack.


Something similar to this?
Image
Mielo
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 3:10 am
Posts Per Page: Campbelltown, Sydney

Re: Mielo's 1200L Octagon Tank Journal

Post by Mielo »

Image

Need some advise on the overflow:

I am contemplating going with the Bean Animal or Herbie overflow!

As the pic above, I have 3 X 25mm holes & 2 x 32mm holes. The middle 25mm hole will be used to run an electrical wire from the roof to supply electricity to the equipment in the sump. My understanding is that the Herbie only requires 2 holes and with the two 25mm holes left I can go with the Herbie overflow.

If I however want to go with the Bean Animal (which requires 3 holes right?), I will have to use the middle hole for the Bean Animal and find another way to get electricity to the sump.

The 2 x 32mm holes will be for the return where I am still deciding if I should hook up 2 independent 6500 Aqua medic pumps or just feed both holes with 1 x Laguna Maxflo 9000 for the return.

Any advise/feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)”