Lanthanum dosing (Ultimate Aquacare's Phosphate Remover)
Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Advanced Discussion
-
Black X
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 115
- Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:23 pm
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Lanthanum dosing (Ultimate Aquacare's Phosphate Remover)
I've recently been dosing Ultimate Aquacare's Phosphate Remover and while my Phosphates reduced I noticed that my clam wasn't looking great. It died 3 days ago.
My Powder Blue tang died today and now my yellow tang isn't looking great. I've just read that Lanthanum dosing can kill clams and tangs.
I've just done a water change but wondering if water changes are going to be enough?
My Powder Blue tang died today and now my yellow tang isn't looking great. I've just read that Lanthanum dosing can kill clams and tangs.
I've just done a water change but wondering if water changes are going to be enough?
-
Onsan
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 4009
- Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:25 pm
- Posts Per Page: Townsville
Re: Lanthanum dosing (Ultimate Aquacare's Phosphate Remover)
The only way lanthanum would be lethal is if it is carelessly overdosed.
Certain cations have the ability to bind to the surface of the gills of aquatic animals, preventing the exchange of dissolved gases (O2, CO2), effectively asphyxiating them.
Water exchange (dilution) is a means of reducing the levels of any toxins in the water, how much exchange is required..? How much did you add?
Certain cations have the ability to bind to the surface of the gills of aquatic animals, preventing the exchange of dissolved gases (O2, CO2), effectively asphyxiating them.
Water exchange (dilution) is a means of reducing the levels of any toxins in the water, how much exchange is required..? How much did you add?
MASA President
-
Black X
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 115
- Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:23 pm
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Lanthanum dosing (Ultimate Aquacare's Phosphate Remover)
My tank is 425lt and I've been dosing 1ml every 2 hours.
I was testing my Phosphate almost daily. My Phosphate reading reading increased when I dropped my dosing, so when I got a of 0.2 yesterday, I increased the dosing back to that rate.
Looks like I've overdosed. I was worried about doing that. I still had Phosphate and I didn't realise that I could still overdose and get a Phosphate reading at the same time.
I was testing my Phosphate almost daily. My Phosphate reading reading increased when I dropped my dosing, so when I got a of 0.2 yesterday, I increased the dosing back to that rate.
Looks like I've overdosed. I was worried about doing that. I still had Phosphate and I didn't realise that I could still overdose and get a Phosphate reading at the same time.
Last edited by Black X on Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-
Black X
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 115
- Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:23 pm
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Lanthanum dosing (Ultimate Aquacare's Phosphate Remover)
After my water change last night, my yellow tang is looking much better this morning. Going to do another water change today and have stopped dosing the Phosphate Remover.
Wondering if I should continue using it, obviously in smaller doses or look at getting a larger reactor and go back to GFO?
Wondering if I should continue using it, obviously in smaller doses or look at getting a larger reactor and go back to GFO?
-
Macca_75
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2772
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:40 am
- Posts Per Page: SE subrubs, Melbourne, Victoria, AU
Re: Lanthanum dosing (Ultimate Aquacare's Phosphate Remover)
Black X wrote:My tank is 425lt and I've been dosing 1ml every 2 hours.
I was testing my Phosphate almost daily. My Phosphate reading reading increased when I dropped my dosing, so when I got a of 0.2 yesterday, I increased the dosing back to that rate.
Looks like I've overdosed. I was worried about doing that. I still had Phosphate and I didn't realise that I could still overdose and get a Phosphate reading at the same time.
Whoa - I add about 2ml every 1 or 2 days in 1000 litres. I use the Lath pool starver from Bunnings.
-
Alf D
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 4321
- Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:59 pm
- Posts Per Page: Fountaindale...Central Coast
-
Black X
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 115
- Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:23 pm
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Lanthanum dosing (Ultimate Aquacare's Phosphate Remover)
I was following the dosing rate but then my Phosphate went up when I reduced the dosage. So I increased it again. Never saw a zero Phosphate reading so didn't think I would be able to overdose like I did.
-
Onsan
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 4009
- Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:25 pm
- Posts Per Page: Townsville
Re: Lanthanum dosing (Ultimate Aquacare's Phosphate Remover)
Problem with buying this re-badged crap is they don't tell you what concentration the lanthanum solution is.
Based on their calculations, it looks to be around 20%.
On that assumption;
20,000mg/L x 0.012L / 425L = 0.565mg/L per day (final concentration in your tank).
Considering that Lanthanum is 1 for 1 for phosphate removal, and you only have 0.2mg/L of phosphate available...
Yes, you have overdosed.
I manage dosing cationic chemicals for water treatment purposes in potable, industrial and environmental applications, overdosing is a very real hazard for aquatic life for the reasons I stated above.
Using these products is safe if applied correctly.
Lanthanum has a strong affinity for binding with many dissolved ions, phosphate and silica in particular, if these are not available it will bind with other dissolved ions or suspended solids that carry a negative charge, the gills of fish and invertebrates fall within this category.
Based on their calculations, it looks to be around 20%.
On that assumption;
20,000mg/L x 0.012L / 425L = 0.565mg/L per day (final concentration in your tank).
Considering that Lanthanum is 1 for 1 for phosphate removal, and you only have 0.2mg/L of phosphate available...
Yes, you have overdosed.
I manage dosing cationic chemicals for water treatment purposes in potable, industrial and environmental applications, overdosing is a very real hazard for aquatic life for the reasons I stated above.
Using these products is safe if applied correctly.
Lanthanum has a strong affinity for binding with many dissolved ions, phosphate and silica in particular, if these are not available it will bind with other dissolved ions or suspended solids that carry a negative charge, the gills of fish and invertebrates fall within this category.
MASA President
-
Black X
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 115
- Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:23 pm
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Lanthanum dosing (Ultimate Aquacare's Phosphate Remover)
The problem seems to be that I can't get my Phosphate levels to zero even with high levels of the Phosphate Remover.
Perhaps I need to run GFO as well?
Perhaps I need to run GFO as well?
-
Onsan
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 4009
- Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:25 pm
- Posts Per Page: Townsville
Re: Lanthanum dosing (Ultimate Aquacare's Phosphate Remover)
no. patience padawan.
nothing good comes fast in reefing.
2 things determine changes in concentration, input and output.
if you have dosed a certain amount to remove a certain amount and the level returns, then you have an input problem. solve that problem.
sources of phos are food, input water, leeching from substrate/rock.
examine these.
nothing good comes fast in reefing.
2 things determine changes in concentration, input and output.
if you have dosed a certain amount to remove a certain amount and the level returns, then you have an input problem. solve that problem.
sources of phos are food, input water, leeching from substrate/rock.
examine these.
MASA President