Glass thickness for 150X60X50 cm reef tank
Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals
-
patmos
- Starting to get the hang of this place
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:05 am
- Posts Per Page: Mauritius
Glass thickness for 150X60X50 cm reef tank
I am in the process of building a new tank 1500X600X500 mm using 12mm glass ( normal) with eurobrace( top and bottom).
Here on my remote island,Mauritius, I cannot find 12mm ultra clear glass for the front pane. The thickest glass available is 10mm . I really want to have it ultra clear in front.
Can I use 10mm ultraclear in front only and the other panes left at 12mm?
Greatly need your advice before going ahead.......
Here on my remote island,Mauritius, I cannot find 12mm ultra clear glass for the front pane. The thickest glass available is 10mm . I really want to have it ultra clear in front.
Can I use 10mm ultraclear in front only and the other panes left at 12mm?
Greatly need your advice before going ahead.......
-
colg
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 am
- Posts Per Page: Mackay
Re: Glass thickness for 150X60X50 cm reef tank
While I think you might be ok with 10mm, I would strongly suggest not mixing clear with standard. It will stick out like dogs balls. If you used all float glass I don't think you would notice the green tinge.
If you go with 10mm make sure you have a decent width euro brace. If you have a search on the net there are a couple of calculators for glass thickness on eurobraced tanks.
If you go with 10mm make sure you have a decent width euro brace. If you have a search on the net there are a couple of calculators for glass thickness on eurobraced tanks.
-
patmos
- Starting to get the hang of this place
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:05 am
- Posts Per Page: Mauritius
Re: Glass thickness for 150X60X50 cm reef tank
Thank you Colg .....so you don't recommend mixing clear and ordinary glass together....You mean for aesthetics reason...????
I still hesitate between all normal glass and the one with clear glass in front
All 10mm ultraclear will be expensive here....don't know the price yet
I planned to use 80mm eurobrace...both bottom and top....
I still hesitate between all normal glass and the one with clear glass in front
All 10mm ultraclear will be expensive here....don't know the price yet
I planned to use 80mm eurobrace...both bottom and top....
-
udm
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:15 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
- Contact:
Re: Glass thickness for 150X60X50 cm reef tank
I cant help with glass thickness, but i can tell you i just built a tank with starphire front only, and im not quite sure what colg means by sticking out... also, if you use normal glass, it will always be in the back of your mind, why you didnt do it in starphire.
Ulises
www.OzSigns.com
www.OzSigns.com
-
patmos
- Starting to get the hang of this place
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:05 am
- Posts Per Page: Mauritius
-
SkullKill
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 52
- Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:06 am
- Posts Per Page: Perth, WA
Re: Glass thickness for 150X60X50 cm reef tank
the clear flexi hose you use for you return pipe has a big kink in it. since you are already using pvc pipe, might be better to run pvc all the way to the return pump and have a pvc union somewhere.
if you want to use flexi , at least use the reinforce ones, which will be more kink resistance.
if you want to use flexi , at least use the reinforce ones, which will be more kink resistance.
Simon - Ocean Free Nano Marine 96L
viewtopic.php?f=144&t=267487
https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/ ... arine-96l/
viewtopic.php?f=144&t=267487
https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/ ... arine-96l/
-
patmos
- Starting to get the hang of this place
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:05 am
- Posts Per Page: Mauritius
-
Raven
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 785
- Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:32 pm
- Posts Per Page: Mirrabooka, Perth, WA
Re: Glass thickness for 150X60X50 cm reef tank
minimum 10mm glass. just bought a 2.9m long tank that is made of 12mm glass
-
SkullKill
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 52
- Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:06 am
- Posts Per Page: Perth, WA
Re: Glass thickness for 150X60X50 cm reef tank
this

look like it is reinforce flex pipes.

look like it is reinforce flex pipes.
Simon - Ocean Free Nano Marine 96L
viewtopic.php?f=144&t=267487
https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/ ... arine-96l/
viewtopic.php?f=144&t=267487
https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/ ... arine-96l/
-
patmos
- Starting to get the hang of this place
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:05 am
- Posts Per Page: Mauritius
Re: Glass thickness for 150X60X50 cm reef tank
yes reinforced hose...I use things available locally. When not possible I import.



