Please Help ID.

Dedicated forum for discussions on all things to do with corals and invertebrates (identification, husbandry, ecology, biology, diseases, taxonomy etc). If it doesn't have a backbone, discuss it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Cnidarians (True Corals)

Post Reply
Beechy
Hi, I am new around here!
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:15 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Please Help ID.

Post by Beechy »

Aloha all. Very new to the hobby, and first time doing reef aquarium. It's not actually my tank, per se; I got it for my sons 6th birthday at the start of August. I decided to grab new live rock, as the ones I had were white as I was trying to use boiling water to remove the aiptasia's and dropped the container of boiling water right over them, plus the last week, they ended up being covered in green algae, even though levels were fine. After cleaning tank, water change, etc., placed in the new live rock and noticed this:

http://imgur.com/a/ivcUY

Any idea what it is? I don't think it's a auptasia, but then again, I could be wrong. If it's not, is this a pest that I need to remove some how? Thanks.
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1996
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:12 am
Posts Per Page: Canberra

Re: Please Help ID.

Post by Aydee »

Yay. Feather Duster.

Good guy. Filter feeder

Dave
Beechy
Hi, I am new around here!
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:15 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Please Help ID.

Post by Beechy »

Thanks, Dave. I thought it may have been a Feather Duster worm after reading something this morning. Good to know it definitely is. All been a big learning curve for me. Need to find someone close by with experience that can check things out from time to time.
Beechy
Hi, I am new around here!
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:15 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Please Help ID.

Post by Beechy »

And are these little two auptasia's?

http://imgur.com/rf1SVeT

If so, what is the best home remedy? Just try shooting boiling hot water at them in the tank? Thanks.
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:27 pm
Posts Per Page: Redland Bay

Re: Please Help ID.

Post by wayne2.0 »

I can't tell from the photo, they could be. I have have heard hot water works but never tried it.
The commercial options work well, 90/95% of the time on first dose.
Ageofaquariums
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1431
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:34 pm
Posts Per Page: Browns Plains QLD
Contact:

Re: Please Help ID.

Post by Ageofaquariums »

Look more like brown paly to me.
The Age of Aquariums:
Phone: (07) 3800 5592
mailto:?subject=&body=
http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/
[directory]3[/directory]
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 4468
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:29 am
Posts Per Page: Adelaide, SA

Re: Please Help ID.

Post by Mr Miagi »

Beechy wrote:And are these little two auptasia's?

http://imgur.com/rf1SVeT

If so, what is the best home remedy? Just try shooting boiling hot water at them in the tank? Thanks.


No, they are not Aiptasia, they are Zoanthids/Palythoas. I would keep both, especially for your son to watch grow! I would avoid boiling water on anything. It kills too much good life, compared to what it kills. I would instead target kill the Aiptasia by pumping them (using a syringe) with freshwater, or turning off your pumps (just for half an hour) and cover them with AiptasiaX (should be able to pick this up online or at a more marine dedicated LFS).

PS, the Reefpedia has a good Hitchikers Guide! http://masa.asn.au/masawiki/index.php/H ... _Reef_Tank

:thumbsup:
--Cheers, Benny
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 4468
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:29 am
Posts Per Page: Adelaide, SA

Re: Please Help ID.

Post by Mr Miagi »

Mr Miagi wrote:
Beechy wrote:And are these little two auptasia's?

http://imgur.com/rf1SVeT

If so, what is the best home remedy? Just try shooting boiling hot water at them in the tank? Thanks.


No, they are not Aiptasia, they are Zoanthids/Palythoas. I would keep both, especially for your son to watch grow! I would avoid boiling water on anything. It kills too much good life, compared to what it kills. I would instead target kill the Aiptasia by pumping them (using a syringe, from chemist) with freshwater, or turning off your pumps (just for half an hour) and cover them with AiptasiaX (should be able to pick this up online or at a more marine dedicated LFS).

PS, the Reefpedia has a good Hitchikers Guide! http://masa.asn.au/masawiki/index.php/H ... _Reef_Tank

:thumbsup:
--Cheers, Benny
Post Reply

Return to “Algaes, Corals and Invertebrates: ID's, Diseases, Pests, Parasites & Treatments Forum”