A starfish, something in a shell and I got worms

Dedicated forum for discussions on all things to do with corals and invertebrates (identification, husbandry, ecology, biology, diseases, taxonomy etc). If it doesn't have a backbone, discuss it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Cnidarians (True Corals)

Post Reply
piker
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:07 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

A starfish, something in a shell and I got worms

Post by piker »

So I have found 2-3 small white starfish in my tank. They seem to be eating the algae off the glass and rocks, but I wanted to make sure they aren't going to become a pest.
Image

This guy has been moving around my tank, also eating the crap off the rocks, any ideas?
Image

Also found about a dozen small bristle worms 1 or 2 largish ones at about 4cm long. They come out every time i feed.

Advice, info, flamethrowers are all welcome.
piker
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:07 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

A starfish, something in a shell and I got worms

Post by piker »

Nobody able to help??
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:27 pm
Posts Per Page: Redland Bay

Re: A starfish, something in a shell and I got worms

Post by wayne2.0 »

Star fish , always good IMO as long as they have food.

Snails etc, it can depend on ur setup. Some snails are not suited or "reef safe" and some worms can attack corals. Most are ok.

I like hermits crabs myself, but they can. And will kill snails.
Breed
Curious Reefer
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:57 pm
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: A starfish, something in a shell and I got worms

Post by Breed »

That starfish looks like an Asterina starfish. I think they can become a pest if in large numbers. There is a good read at the top of this link that should help you decide on a plan moving forward:

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php ... eping-101-

The snail looks like it could be a turbo snail but I'm not 100% sure. If its eating the algae only then it should be okay, but keep an eye out.

Bristleworms are just part of your CUC and will populate depending on availability of food. I think the long, thin ones are fine, however the thick, bright red ones can be the bad ones when they get really big.

Hope this helps.
Post Reply

Return to “Algaes, Corals and Invertebrates: ID's, Diseases, Pests, Parasites & Treatments Forum”