Low pH
Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Advanced Discussion
-
Black X
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 115
- Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:23 pm
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Low pH
I have an issue maintaining high pH and it is currently at 7.9 and will only get up to about 8.1.
I've been using Kalkwasser thinking it might help but it's pretty much only raised my Alkalinity.
I was wondering if I put an air stone in my ATO with the Kalkwasser, will that have much of an effect on the pH?
I've been using Kalkwasser thinking it might help but it's pretty much only raised my Alkalinity.
I was wondering if I put an air stone in my ATO with the Kalkwasser, will that have much of an effect on the pH?
-
saltydog
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2618
- Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:50 pm
- Posts Per Page: sydney
Re: Low pH
Black X wrote:I was wondering if I put an air stone in my ATO with the Kalkwasser, will that have much of an effect on the pH?
Yep, it will have an effect.
Take a cup of tank water and put the air stone in that for 1/2 hour or so and then take a pH reading.
Chris
DTSTTCPW
-
Black X
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 115
- Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:23 pm
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Low pH
Up the mighty Rabbits!
Taking a cup and aerating it is not going to change the pH much in a 425lt tank. I am wondering if I should keep aerating my ATO ?
Taking a cup and aerating it is not going to change the pH much in a 425lt tank. I am wondering if I should keep aerating my ATO ?
-
saltydog
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2618
- Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:50 pm
- Posts Per Page: sydney
Re: Low pH
Glory Glory!
You don't want to aerate limewater.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/rhf/feature/
Aerating the cup of water is part of a test to tell were your pH should be.
Chris
Black X wrote: I am wondering if I should keep aerating my ATO ?
You don't want to aerate limewater.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/rhf/feature/
With sufficient exposure to air, such as by aeration or vigorous agitation, this reaction can be driven to near completion, with little calcium or hydroxide remaining in solution
Aerating the cup of water is part of a test to tell were your pH should be.
Chris
DTSTTCPW
-
Black X
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 115
- Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:23 pm
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Low pH
I think I might stop the Kalkwasser and try just aerating my RO. See what happens.
-
Black X
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 115
- Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:23 pm
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Low pH
That hasn't made any noticeable difference. Can get it above 8.2 without Alk getting to 11 or higher.
-
Ageofaquariums
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1431
- Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:34 pm
- Posts Per Page: Browns Plains QLD
- Contact:
Re: Low pH
Well if its not CO2 dropping the pH, perhaps its something to do with the magnesium? You have KH and calcium high I imagine.
The Age of Aquariums:
Phone: (07) 3800 5592
mailto: ? subject= & body=
http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/
[directory]3[/directory]
Phone: (07) 3800 5592
http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/
[directory]3[/directory]
-
Abarnes
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 289
- Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:08 am
- Posts Per Page: Ballarat
Re: Low pH
Have you tested your pH over the course of the day? check to make sure it isn't swinging and you just catch it when its lower. I was under the impression that as long as it was between 7.8 and 8.5 you are O.K. with 8.1 to 8.3 just being a safer range. Are you carbon dosing with vinegar or anything acidic?
-
saltydog
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2618
- Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:50 pm
- Posts Per Page: sydney
Re: Low pH
saltydog wrote:Take a cup of tank water and put the air stone in that for 1/2 hour or so and then take a pH reading.
Take a pH reading of the tank. Put some tank water in a cup and aerate it for 1/2 and hour, then take a pH reading of the cup water.
Chris
DTSTTCPW
-
Black X
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 115
- Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:23 pm
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Low pH
I don't think it's CO exchange. I have 3 power heads running and all breaking the surface.
PH drops to 7.9 at night.
Not doing any carbon dosing.
Magnesium was a little low at 1280 so I have increased my dosing. Calcium was 440.
PH drops to 7.9 at night.
Not doing any carbon dosing.
Magnesium was a little low at 1280 so I have increased my dosing. Calcium was 440.