The 2006 dated instructions came with the kit shows I need to use 2drops I1 and 4drops I3 for iodide testing.
Same on RTAW reefpedia.
However the instructions shown on marine depot website instructs to use 6drops I3 for the same test. Is this a typo?
I read somewhere salifert issued a modified instructions for the test after the release of the product, If so is the 6drops i3 is the modified one? Then RTAW needs an update.
Confusion with salifert iodine test kit
Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Advanced Discussion
-
Batts
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 120
- Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:36 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
-
Batts
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 120
- Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:36 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Confusion with salifert iodine test kit
Tried both methods btw, and both gives zero readings...
-
Aydee
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1996
- Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:12 am
- Posts Per Page: Canberra
Re: Confusion with salifert iodine test kit
As part of the iodate test:
Now look from the side od the test vial. If the color is dark yellow, green or blue or even has several blue colored particles in it then this suggests that the iodate concentration is far higher than 0.2ppm and a precipitate can form in the next step. This might result in the next step in an almost colorless solution with tiny blue particles.
Did you notice this behaviour at all? If it precipitates out, you may get a false reading of 0 if you concentration is higher than 0.2ppm
Dave
Now look from the side od the test vial. If the color is dark yellow, green or blue or even has several blue colored particles in it then this suggests that the iodate concentration is far higher than 0.2ppm and a precipitate can form in the next step. This might result in the next step in an almost colorless solution with tiny blue particles.
Did you notice this behaviour at all? If it precipitates out, you may get a false reading of 0 if you concentration is higher than 0.2ppm
Dave
-
Batts
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 120
- Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:36 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Confusion with salifert iodine test kit
Hi Aydee, none of this was observed. the liquid stayed clear all the way through the testing.
I did iodate testing too, that is also clear.
I don't dose iodine except there is a little bit added to alk mix of the balling light I use.
Tried to mix some of the balling light trace to a cup of water and I got strong reading, so the test kit should be working.
My consfusion is there is conflicting info on the net for the testing procedure, I am planning to supplement iodine so trying to work out which instructions I should follow, 6drop i3 or 2drop i1 + 4drop i3 for the iodide testing.
Another thing that is not clear is that there are two colours on the iodide section of the colour card (half yellow half green) should I compare yellow or the green part..
I did iodate testing too, that is also clear.
I don't dose iodine except there is a little bit added to alk mix of the balling light I use.
Tried to mix some of the balling light trace to a cup of water and I got strong reading, so the test kit should be working.
My consfusion is there is conflicting info on the net for the testing procedure, I am planning to supplement iodine so trying to work out which instructions I should follow, 6drop i3 or 2drop i1 + 4drop i3 for the iodide testing.
Another thing that is not clear is that there are two colours on the iodide section of the colour card (half yellow half green) should I compare yellow or the green part..
-
Aydee
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1996
- Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:12 am
- Posts Per Page: Canberra
Re: Confusion with salifert iodine test kit
Best I can suggest would be this:
If you use ASW get some of that in a bucket. If NSW mix some up.
Add a drop of iodine supplement. Test.
Do this a few times.
Find out if you are getting readings. If you add 1ml to 1L (10 drops to 1 Litre approx) you should be pretty much guaranteed a reading of some sort! If you get to 1ml/litre and no reading, something has gone screwy.
Better to find out in a bucket than in your tank.
It'd be a good way to 'test the tester'.
Dave
If you use ASW get some of that in a bucket. If NSW mix some up.
Add a drop of iodine supplement. Test.
Do this a few times.
Find out if you are getting readings. If you add 1ml to 1L (10 drops to 1 Litre approx) you should be pretty much guaranteed a reading of some sort! If you get to 1ml/litre and no reading, something has gone screwy.
Better to find out in a bucket than in your tank.
It'd be a good way to 'test the tester'.
Dave
-
Batts
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 120
- Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:36 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Confusion with salifert iodine test kit
I have tested the test kit, Added few drops trace that contains iodine in a cup and mixed with tank water.
I have got over 0.2ppm reading off the bat so discontinued the test.
But next time I might add some iodine to a known liquid that contains 0ppm iodine such as rodi and bring it to 0.06ppm (as per iodine bottle dose recommendation) and test that to see if I get 0.06 on the test.
I have got over 0.2ppm reading off the bat so discontinued the test.
But next time I might add some iodine to a known liquid that contains 0ppm iodine such as rodi and bring it to 0.06ppm (as per iodine bottle dose recommendation) and test that to see if I get 0.06 on the test.
-
Aydee
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1996
- Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:12 am
- Posts Per Page: Canberra
-
Bentjudges
- Hi, I am new around here!
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:55 am
- Posts Per Page: Canada
- Contact:
Confusion with salifert iodine test kit
Anyone got this kit?
Im very confused, really cant work it out How do u do this? The ph kit is sooo much easier
Im very confused, really cant work it out How do u do this? The ph kit is sooo much easier