FROM MY RATHER LONG EXPERIENCE COLLECTING
Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Photography Forum
-
briano
- Curious Reefer
- Posts: 40
- Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:28 am
- Posts Per Page: Wollongong
FROM MY RATHER LONG EXPERIENCE COLLECTING
Hi, lots of people seem to comment on what you are allowed to collect but the rules seem to be unclear.
I have been collecting in NSW south of Sydney and sometimes north as far as the Sunshine Coast, since would you believe 1986 !
In that time I have been challenged three times by someone in uniform from Fisheries.
I admit on one of those occasions, the zoning of the area I would visit around once per year, had recently changed, and I was made to return my fish to the ocean.
On the other two occasions I had a friendly chat with the officers, who assured me that I was fine, and wished me all the best. They asked me about my tank, difficulty of keeping fish etc. They were really looking for Abalone and Lobsters.
This year as at Feb, 2016 appears to be a pretty good year. I have already caught lots of blue damsels, not going to catch anymore.
I have a Lemon Cheaterdon which are generally hardier than the others, some Dusky Cheaterdons, a Banner fish, 2 Picasso Triggers, and my favorite fish, the Comb Wrasse. The comb wrasse is underrated, It is beautiful, no trouble, one of the toughest fish ever, and for some reason usually easy to catch.
This season I have caught four, fairly small.
I also had the luck to see a pair of Golden Headed Sleepers, and even more luck that I was able to catch both. It is rare to see these so far south, I hope now I can keep them alive.
I have so far seen, one only, Yellow Tang, a Shoulder Tang, but couldn't catch it, maybe another time.
I am just trying to encourage anyone who likes diving to have a go. However it takes a lot of diving to discover the good spots.
If you want me to publish that, I would never see another good fish again.
Try sheltered spots in around 2 to 5 metres deep over rocky areas.
I have been collecting in NSW south of Sydney and sometimes north as far as the Sunshine Coast, since would you believe 1986 !
In that time I have been challenged three times by someone in uniform from Fisheries.
I admit on one of those occasions, the zoning of the area I would visit around once per year, had recently changed, and I was made to return my fish to the ocean.
On the other two occasions I had a friendly chat with the officers, who assured me that I was fine, and wished me all the best. They asked me about my tank, difficulty of keeping fish etc. They were really looking for Abalone and Lobsters.
This year as at Feb, 2016 appears to be a pretty good year. I have already caught lots of blue damsels, not going to catch anymore.
I have a Lemon Cheaterdon which are generally hardier than the others, some Dusky Cheaterdons, a Banner fish, 2 Picasso Triggers, and my favorite fish, the Comb Wrasse. The comb wrasse is underrated, It is beautiful, no trouble, one of the toughest fish ever, and for some reason usually easy to catch.
This season I have caught four, fairly small.
I also had the luck to see a pair of Golden Headed Sleepers, and even more luck that I was able to catch both. It is rare to see these so far south, I hope now I can keep them alive.
I have so far seen, one only, Yellow Tang, a Shoulder Tang, but couldn't catch it, maybe another time.
I am just trying to encourage anyone who likes diving to have a go. However it takes a lot of diving to discover the good spots.
If you want me to publish that, I would never see another good fish again.
Try sheltered spots in around 2 to 5 metres deep over rocky areas.
-
green troll
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 243
- Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:46 am
- Posts Per Page: QLD
Re: FROM MY RATHER LONG EXPERIENCE COLLECTING
Sounds great mate. How do u go about catching them.
-
briano
- Curious Reefer
- Posts: 40
- Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:28 am
- Posts Per Page: Wollongong
Re: FROM MY RATHER LONG EXPERIENCE COLLECTING
Thanks Troll, I use 2 hand nets around 300 mm size, You have to corner the fish, drive them into a place that is harder to escape from.
You cannot net them in open water, they will outsmart you every time.
You cannot net them in open water, they will outsmart you every time.
-
noddym89
- Hi, I am new around here!
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:40 am
- Posts Per Page: Gold Coast
Re: FROM MY RATHER LONG EXPERIENCE COLLECTING
A yellow tang? I thought they were endemic to hawaii
-
briano
- Curious Reefer
- Posts: 40
- Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:28 am
- Posts Per Page: Wollongong
Re: FROM MY RATHER LONG EXPERIENCE COLLECTING
Sorry, this is generally called Orange shoulder Tang, or Orange spot Tang.
As a juvenile it is the same shape as the common brown tang, but a solid yellow colour.
As it matures it develops an orange mark on its shoulder area, and as it matures further it loses its yellow colour and tends to brown with an orange mark.
This is not the very popular Yellow Sailfin Tang, from Hawaii zone, You won't see that one, you are right
As a juvenile it is the same shape as the common brown tang, but a solid yellow colour.
As it matures it develops an orange mark on its shoulder area, and as it matures further it loses its yellow colour and tends to brown with an orange mark.
This is not the very popular Yellow Sailfin Tang, from Hawaii zone, You won't see that one, you are right
-
Savage Henry
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 349
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:12 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: FROM MY RATHER LONG EXPERIENCE COLLECTING
briano wrote:This year as at Feb, 2016 appears to be a pretty good year. I have already caught lots of blue damsels, not going to catch anymore.
I have a Lemon Cheaterdon which are generally hardier than the others, some Dusky Cheaterdons, a Banner fish, 2 Picasso Triggers, and my favorite fish, the Comb Wrasse. The comb wrasse is underrated, It is beautiful, no trouble, one of the toughest fish ever, and for some reason usually easy to catch.
This season I have caught four, fairly small.
I also had the luck to see a pair of Golden Headed Sleepers, and even more luck that I was able to catch both. It is rare to see these so far south, I hope now I can keep them alive.
I have so far seen, one only, Yellow Tang, a Shoulder Tang, but couldn't catch it, maybe another time.
I also snorkel specifically to see what tropicals have come down to Sydney. This season started very well and I saw my first orange-shouldered tang and my first angelfish (keyhole angels). I also saw my first blue devilfish (which isn't tropical) yesterday. There were also the neon damsels and fire damsels. Lots of Sydney cardinal fish too. I also caught the smallest squid or cuttlefish I'd ever seen, but I let them go.
However, although the season started well, I noticed during the week the water has become very cold. When I dived during last week and on the weekend the only tropical I saw was a butterfly fish and it was really dark. I think the drop in temperature is due to the current outside running north. I am actually wondering if the tropical of this season are dead or have moved elsewhere.
I also found a few other oddities.
-
Sailfin
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1954
- Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:14 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney N.S.W.
Re: FROM MY RATHER LONG EXPERIENCE COLLECTING
You guys seen many seahorse's around species / numbers
Smile & have a Nice Day
-
Savage Henry
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 349
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:12 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: FROM MY RATHER LONG EXPERIENCE COLLECTING
I haven't seen any seahorses recently, but then again I don't tend to go or look in weedy areas.
I did see a rose coloured anemone which I'd never seen before. Obviously temperate and not to be kept under tropical conditions.
I did see a rose coloured anemone which I'd never seen before. Obviously temperate and not to be kept under tropical conditions.
-
briano
- Curious Reefer
- Posts: 40
- Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:28 am
- Posts Per Page: Wollongong
Re: FROM MY RATHER LONG EXPERIENCE COLLECTING
To Savage Henry, thank goodness the water has warmed up again, and looks like there is a whole new crop of juveniles.
I have never seen so many Yellow Shoulder Tangs, They might be called Orange Shoulder Tangs, but they are actually yellow.
I saw 2 Moorish Idols yesterday, and there are lots of Convict Tangs, Convicts are quite good in a reeftank, they help with the algae.
I saw a few triggers, the half white and half brown variety, so there should be some Picasos soon.
There are a lot of juvenile cleaner wrasses about.
I haven't seen any angels yet, we often see keyhole angels.
I have never seen so many Yellow Shoulder Tangs, They might be called Orange Shoulder Tangs, but they are actually yellow.
I saw 2 Moorish Idols yesterday, and there are lots of Convict Tangs, Convicts are quite good in a reeftank, they help with the algae.
I saw a few triggers, the half white and half brown variety, so there should be some Picasos soon.
There are a lot of juvenile cleaner wrasses about.
I haven't seen any angels yet, we often see keyhole angels.
-
NewyReefer
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2736
- Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:46 am
- Posts Per Page: Newcastle
Re: FROM MY RATHER LONG EXPERIENCE COLLECTING
Wow sounds cool mate...
I am a huge fan of convicts
I am a huge fan of convicts
Matty.
Thinking inside the box-----------v
--------My ZEOvit AIO SPS Nano---------
-----------My 5x2.5x2 Reef------------
Now thinking outside the box----^
-------------My Aquatic Log---------------
Thinking inside the box-----------v
--------My ZEOvit AIO SPS Nano---------
-----------My 5x2.5x2 Reef------------
Now thinking outside the box----^
-------------My Aquatic Log---------------