Pyk's AR620T Build

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

piker
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:07 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Pyk's AR620T Build

Post by piker »

Introduction:

System Type: FOWLR moving to Mixed Reef

Display System:

Strike up Date: Wet in Dec 2015 (hopefully)
Display Tank: AquaOne AR620T 130L
Display Lighting: Stock 2 x 18W 60cm tubes (1x Daylight, 1x Marine Blue)
Stand: Custom self-built monstrosity.
Hood: Stock.
Sump: Custom approx 50L, skimmer, fuge, return sections.
Refugium: In the sump 30x30x20cm.
Refugium Lighting: TBA.


Support systems:

System Water: TBA
Display Water circulation: Jebao RW-15.
Return Pump: Yes
Skimmer: AquaOne G220
Evaporation Top Up: Manual


Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: Via water changes
Alkilinity Addition: Via water changes
Other Chemical Maintenance: Via water changes

Current Water Chemistry: Dry
Nitrates: N/A
Phosphates: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A
Calcium: N/A
Salinity / Specific Gravity: N/A
Magnesuim: N/A


Images: Keep an eye out for them.

:banana: <- i know not necessary, but I'm so excited to be getting my tank up and running.
piker
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:07 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Pyk's AR620T Build

Post by piker »

Ok, so I'm a little behind so I will try and catch up.

The tank got wet on Dec 27. 160L ASW from reef river reptile at Hornsby. Tank was slightly cloudy but not too bad as I used a small bucket in the bottom of the tank to stop the majority of splashes.
Image

Then just after new years I went back for some rodi water and bought some live rock pieces to add to the display.

Image

That's how it looks now.

Today the tank has been reading 0ppm for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and the LFS advised I should put in a couple crabs to start my cuc.

I never thought I would be saying this, but "I have crabs" :roflmao:

Image
piker
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:07 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Pyk's AR620T Build

Post by piker »

Just a quick update, but better than nothing right?

Have a small diatom outbreak, I think i have been overfeeding the crabs.
Plan for a 25% water change tonight and a vacuum of the sand bed.

I have also ordered clownfish from livefish.com.au
They had a half price special so I couldnt pass it up.
Jade
Lurking Reefer
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:59 pm
Posts Per Page: Laurieton, NSW

Re: Pyk's AR620T Build

Post by Jade »

Looking good!
Can't wait to get mine up and running over the next few weeks!
piker
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:07 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Pyk's AR620T Build

Post by piker »

Without further ado, I would like to introduce you to our little family.

Shelley
Image

Nips
Image

From left to right:
Pandora, James Pond and Bubbles
Image

Since there is three of us it made sense (to someone, not me) for my son to name the smallest, my wife to name the next and me the large.
The crabs were named in secret, and since they are now used to the names they cant be changed. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Last edited by piker on Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
fastjetjockey
Centurion Reefer
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:08 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Pyk's AR620T Build

Post by fastjetjockey »

Nice tank! Would you consider adding a backing to the tank? I'm also quite fond of your token black clownfish; that's aquatic diversity. Better than the Oscars. Do they all get along?
Jamess
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 846
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:36 am
Posts Per Page: Ormiston, QLD

Re: Pyk's AR620T Build

Post by Jamess »

What grain size is your substrate? I quite like it.
James' 4x2x2 Decommissioned and recycled to make....

950x600x450 LED Study Escape
piker
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:07 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Pyk's AR620T Build

Post by piker »

I had originally thought about painting the back black (not a huge fan of blue backs) but in the end thought it would be safer if I didn't touch a brush or roller.

I am hoping the back will eventually cover over with coralline algae, not sure if that's wishful thinking or not.

My substrate looks to be about 1mm here is a pic of the bag, maybe Google will shed light on the actual size.
Image

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Jamess
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 846
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:36 am
Posts Per Page: Ormiston, QLD

Re: Pyk's AR620T Build

Post by Jamess »

Cheers for the photo. I've got just plain old white sand in mine. I originally intended to get something like this, but I used calgrit in the past and found it big and course and a detritus trap. Maybe one day I will swap it over for something of this size.
James' 4x2x2 Decommissioned and recycled to make....

950x600x450 LED Study Escape
piker
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:07 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Pyk's AR620T Build

Post by piker »

Found my first bit of aipsatia, nuked it too.

Image
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)”