Collecting from the wild.

This forum is for the discussion relating to all aspects of diving, collect and photography of marine related subjects. You can discuss equipment, software, or just display your photographs for critique.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Photography Forum

Post Reply
BigDaddyAdo
Curious Reefer
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:03 am
Posts Per Page: Central Coast - Narara

Collecting from the wild.

Post by BigDaddyAdo »

I have just collected a bunch of snails (Turbo, Nerite, etc.) from the beach at Shoal Bay. I have a holiday house here and visit regularly.

This is the first time I have planned to add anything from the wild. Does anyone have any experience with this?
oceanarium
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2533
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:52 pm
Posts Per Page: the coral farm.. Near ledge WA
Contact:

Re: Collecting from the wild.

Post by oceanarium »

Most our critters come from the wild, only difference this time is they have not been collected commercially. :thumbsup:
BigDaddyAdo
Curious Reefer
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:03 am
Posts Per Page: Central Coast - Narara

Re: Collecting from the wild.

Post by BigDaddyAdo »

That was exactly how I thought of it.
Melbourne Reefers
Curious Reefer
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 12:01 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Collecting from the wild.

Post by Melbourne Reefers »

:withyou: I have collected. Some snails from our local beach as well.. I'm in Melbourne and water is cold here. When I put them in my tank.. they bred like rabbits :cheers:
BigDaddyAdo
Curious Reefer
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:03 am
Posts Per Page: Central Coast - Narara

Re: Collecting from the wild.

Post by BigDaddyAdo »

I ended up collecting a handful of a few different types. Saved me a fortune. I visit Shoal Bay regularly so I have an endless supply.

I would also like to find some where closer to home. I was hoping to collect few other bits n pieces if possible.
chromus
I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
Posts: 19409
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:09 am
Posts Per Page: Atwell, Perth, WA
Contact:

Re: Collecting from the wild.

Post by chromus »

Just make sure you check with your local fisheries for quotas and marine parks so you dont get a fine :thumbsup:
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
jayrob
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:00 pm
Posts Per Page: newcastle

Re: Collecting from the wild.

Post by jayrob »

I thought you couldn't collect anything within a marine park? All of port stephens is a marine sanctuary isn't it?
bimborocks
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1034
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:54 am
Posts Per Page: Newcastle, NSW

Re: Collecting from the wild.

Post by bimborocks »

jayrob wrote:I thought you couldn't collect anything within a marine park? All of port stephens is a marine sanctuary isn't it?

'marine parks' have different zones, some allow fishing and bait collecting, some only spearfishing and some are no take zones etc.
Post Reply

Return to “Diving, Collection and Photography Forum”