Hi All
I haven't been on here for a while as I have been travelling; however, I am now living in Melbourne and have re-purposed my old 38L (Jebo R338) tank as a small Freshwater Tank. The lighting structure in the hood is all rusted from the Saltwater days and the twin 8w T5's no longer turn on and so I am thinking of ripping it out and simply placing a LED light on top of the glass between the hood and the water and putting the hod on top as a hollow cover. Would this work or would the LED's get to hot on the glass?
Problem is I don't know what I need to look for in an LED light for Freshwater... could someone please provide me with some advice? I don't want to spend a lot as its just a small tank. Do I need 6500k, 10,000K, how many LED's? etc...
Would this (30cm option) be ok for the tank and growing some plants?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/White-Blue-A ... 5d5800a154
Thanks a lot!
LED Lighting... What do I need?
Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Low Tide
-
remiruby
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 345
- Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:49 am
- Posts Per Page: St Peters, Adelaide
-
Brett240
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 858
- Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:09 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: LED Lighting... What do I need?
probably not loads of advice to be found for freshwater on a marine forum mate. would avoid resting lights on glass though. fresh water lights use loads of white LED's if your aim is to grow plants.
-
JohnnyBoy
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 358
- Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:09 pm
- Posts Per Page: Perth, Wanneroo
Re: LED Lighting... What do I need?
Really depends what your goals are.
If it's just to light a fish only tank then you can use anything, no need to spend money when you don't need to.
If you want to grow plants then I would recommend heading to a freshwater forum. Not very experience with what they need.
If it's just to light a fish only tank then you can use anything, no need to spend money when you don't need to.
If you want to grow plants then I would recommend heading to a freshwater forum. Not very experience with what they need.
4x2x2 Build
viewtopic.php?f=148&t=256697
viewtopic.php?f=148&t=256697
-
remiruby
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 345
- Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:49 am
- Posts Per Page: St Peters, Adelaide
Re: LED Lighting... What do I need?
Any good fresh water forum anyone is aware of?
-
Aydee
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1996
- Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:12 am
- Posts Per Page: Canberra
-
azfish
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 377
- Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:58 pm
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
- Contact:
Re: LED Lighting... What do I need?
aquariumlife.com.au for planted/freshwater aquariums. aceforums.com.au for cichlids etc.
LED's for plant growth, 6500k to 8000k is the sweet spot.
LED's for just fish - whatever LED you can find.
Amount of LED's depends on the requirements of the tank. High light plants, low light plants, no plants etc.
LED's for plant growth, 6500k to 8000k is the sweet spot.
LED's for just fish - whatever LED you can find.
Amount of LED's depends on the requirements of the tank. High light plants, low light plants, no plants etc.