Tropi's Ocean Free 34L

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Nano and Pico Tanks with a Volume less than 100 litres.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Tropi
Curious Reefer
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:06 pm
Posts Per Page: Western Australia

Tropi's Ocean Free 34L

Post by Tropi »

I thought I might as well start up a tank journal for my OF 34L nano. My last tank was an AR620 that I had up for around 8 months but I downgraded to this one so it's my first time attempting a nano this small but so far I think I'm liking it more than the 620 :)
I got it set up on April 1st and I used sand, rock and water from the previous tank. So far everything I'm using is what has come with it except I've switched out the Carbon for Purigen and got my Koralia nano 900 in the mail a few days ago. I'm trying to decide on a light to upgrade to so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

LIVESTOCK
Fish:
2 Ocellaris clownfish (one orange and one black)

Inverts:
1 Trochus Snail
Turbo Snails
2 nassarius snails
3 Cerith Snails
1 Janitor Crab
1 Pepperment Shrimp
1 Bubble tip anemone

Corals:
Green Star Polyps
Pulsing Xenia
Hammer
Green Morphs
Daisy/Duncan
Blasto's
Elegance
Zoas
Ricordea
Birdsnest
Montipora
Torch

I still need to figure out where I'm going to be putting the corals but here it is around a week or so ago, excuse how messy it looks
Image

I can't decide if I should have this piece of rock on top or just leave it with the main piece, what do you guys think?
Image
Last edited by Tropi on Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emperor_tang
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:57 am
Posts Per Page: Perth,wa

Re: Tropi's Ocean Free 34L

Post by Emperor_tang »

Nice tank!

I think I prefer it without that extra piece of rock on top. Doesn't look very stable or natural. Maybe put a decent size coral on top of you want to keep the height of the layout the same or similar.

Keep up the good work!
Tropi
Curious Reefer
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:06 pm
Posts Per Page: Western Australia

Re: Tropi's Ocean Free 34L

Post by Tropi »

Thanks
It doesn't move, it has abit of rock coming off it that's wedged between the main rock, but yeh I guess it doesn't look very natural. Might do what you suggested and look at some bigger corals, do you have any suggestions on any that might do good up there?

Just got a couple of zoa frags delivered today, it was my first time ordering from exotic aquaculture australia, will put some pics up when they are open and looking happier.
Pommyman
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:23 pm
Posts Per Page: Perth

Re: Tropi's Ocean Free 34L

Post by Pommyman »

I like the rock ontop.

I have the same tank but think i have to much rock in mine. I like yours being a bit more minimalist. I got such a large piece because i plan on upgrading in 6 months.

Defo upgrade the light. I love my zetlight ($80) and it comes with a remote but i am going to look at getting a Wifi controllable one like the AI Prime.
Tropi
Curious Reefer
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:06 pm
Posts Per Page: Western Australia

Re: Tropi's Ocean Free 34L

Post by Tropi »

Thanks
I was starting to think that I didn't have enough rock in mine, but I like the look of the minimalist tanks. I decided to do some reading up on the AI Prime since you mentioned it Pommyman.

I'm hoping to order a new light this week and am trying to decide between the AI Prime and Kessil a160, does anyone know if the a160 is compatible with the spectrual controller or if the AI needs to be connected to wifi constantly to actually work? I'm not completely sure how that works and am worried about running up a huge internet bill if I went that way.
Blur
Curious Reefer
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 8:13 am
Posts Per Page: Georges Hall, Sydney

Re: Tropi's Ocean Free 34L

Post by Blur »

Can vow for the Prime, great little light, pretty minimal to look at :)

The prime doesn't need to be hooked up to the wifi to function. I just run mine through my phone (wifi is out of range) just means you can't access the control panel through a browser and has to be done through the app.
Tropi
Curious Reefer
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:06 pm
Posts Per Page: Western Australia

Re: Tropi's Ocean Free 34L

Post by Tropi »

Awesome, thanks for your help Blur.
I just ordered the Prime in white, now just need to wait for it to be sent and get here
kodez
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:27 pm
Posts Per Page: Perth

Re: Tropi's Ocean Free 34L

Post by kodez »

Prime's are excellent bang for buck, tank is coming along nicely.
Pommyman
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:23 pm
Posts Per Page: Perth

Re: Tropi's Ocean Free 34L

Post by Pommyman »

Hi,

Keep me posted on the Prime. I have still not got around to buying one yet but i will in the next month or so.

I have just heard things about the mount on the prime sagging a little but i believe their is an easy fix.
Blur
Curious Reefer
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 8:13 am
Posts Per Page: Georges Hall, Sydney

Re: Tropi's Ocean Free 34L

Post by Blur »

Yeah it does sag. i just put a cable tie between the attatchment and the stand part so it cant sit forward :)
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks Nano/Pico (Less than 100 Litres)”