Uglyman's Experiment Has Begun.

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Post Reply
uglyman
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2141
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:17 pm
Posts Per Page: Pyalong Vic

Uglyman's Experiment Has Begun.

Post by uglyman »

Ok my current system has been running for about 9 years and it is showing signs of its age particularly the silicone inner seal is coming away from the glass but it is also time for me to build my dream setup. I have really enjoyed my old tank but as most people would know you ALWAYS run out of room.

So here goes :devil:

This tank will be based on a mix of my own knowledge of keeping sps and the design/theories of the Triton Method. It will be run based on Triton flow rates and sump design with my own personal tweaks to certain aspects of the system. I will be using the Triton ICP testing once I work out how to get the testing done and plan to have the first test done at approx the 6-8 month mark after setup and then additional tests at possibly 3-4 months there after. I don't think I will get more than 3 tests done in the first twelve months as I believe that most systems don't mature till they have run for 12 months or more. After the first 12 months I will consider doing possibly 4 tests for the next twelve months. I will not be using the Triton suppliments as I don't think they are entirely neccessary to keeping the tank running at it's best, I will instead be using lab grade supplements where possible or marine specific ones depending on cost/ease of sourcing.

The main aim I have is to reduce water changes to a minimum as I believe after extensive observation on my current setup the need for them is sometimes overrated and can in some cases be detrimental to the tanks inhabitants. Now I know there will be some people who may think I am talking rubbish and they are entitled to there opinion, but this is my tank and I am doing it my way and I want to attempt this for the simple reason that I think it can be done.
I am also building this setup for my love of sps and so I can have a system that has all of the kinks worked out that I could never fix with my old tank. Everyone knows there are little things about your first marine setup that annoyed you and you wish you could fix but can't without starting again.

This is my starting again :-D

Build 3D overview
Image



Display Tank: 1700 x 660 x 560 Starfire on front and both side panels with beveled and polished edges as well as a one piece eurobrace built by Starfire Aquatics.
The tank has a right hand corner overflow that is half the size it normally would be and due to it's reduced size it meant reduced access to the plumbing so I came up with my own overflow design that has a removeable front panel held in place by Neodymium magnets.

Image



Stand: I wanted to go with a custom built steel stand for this build due to the fact that I wanted the front of the stand to be open with no central support pillar to obstruct my access to the sump. The stand is galvanised 50x50x3 RHS tubing and will be powder coated to protect it from corrosion.
I am going to clad the stand with varnished timber and all sides will be removable being held on with magnets/clips so access to the underside is easy. The stand will have a electrical section in the left hand side closed off from the rest of the sump section to protect all the electronics from splashes.

Image



Sump: 1400x600x460 The sump is based on the Triton design and has four chambers two of which will be running macro then the usual skimmer chamber and return chamber, I will be running two reactors in the return chamber for both GFO and GAC. The sump will also have higher back and right side panels to reduce the amount of splashes on the stands internal panels as this was always a pet hate of mine on my old system.
The only difference with this sump compared to most will be the skimmer chamber is after the macro chamber, so flow will enter the first and second chambers on the right holding macro then into the skimmer chamber then on to the return chamber on the left. The first baffle on the right is about one inch off the bottom to allow the water to flow down into the second chamber. There are two macro chambers to allow me to run both caulerpa brachypus in one and chaeto in the other so flow rates for each macro can be varied with pumps to suit the macro type. The last baffle on the left is designed to force flow down to the bottom of the chamber as per Triton design to allow amino's, trace elements and beneficial proteins released from the macro to be picked up by the return pump rather than producing a surface film in the chamber. I am considering using a marine pure block in this last chamber but I have heard triton tests have picked up elevated aluminium levels on systems using these blocks so I will see if more info points to these being a problem before deciding.



Image



Display Lighting: I will be running two metal halide Lumenmax Elite reflectors with 250w Electronic ballasts running phoenix 12k globes. In conjunction with these halides I will be running 3 rebuilt maxspect G2 160w leds all the old Bridgelux leds have been replaced with Philips luxeon ES leds. But this may change later to three Lumenmax halides if I am unhappy with the growth or colouration that my corals exhibit.

Each maxspect G2 Led unit is using
2 violet UV 410-420nm
2 True violet UV 400-410nm
2 lime
2 cool blue
2 cyan
6 cool white
6 neutral white
10 royal blue
They also have the old 2x30w 10k white leds in them but they may be changed out soon.

The lighting system will be suspended from the ceiling on cables and will have a motorised lift system.

Sump lighting: 2xPAR38 LED Spotlights.

Controller: Apex running 2xEB6 power boards and a breakout box for the ATO system as well as ORP, PH and Temp probes.

Display Water Circulation: I will be running my current 2 Vortech MP40w ES pumps on the back wall of the tank and have a WP40 on right hand side running across the tank.

Return Pump: Latest generation Jebao DCT 12000 running at about half flow to try to provide approx 6000l/h flow through the sump.

Skimmer: Reef Octopus 3000 super skimmer with bubble blaster pump.

Evaporation Top Up: Apex with Avast peri pump with a RO reservoir of approx 50-100l under the house, the RO reservoir will be monitored by the Apex with float valves and will be refilled by a line running from the laundry where the RO/DI is.

Heating:One 600w Schego in the sump and a 300w Schego in the weir with both being controlled by the Apex.

Cooling:I will be running a Haliea 500a under the house that I will hopefully only need during summer going by my current testing of dual 250w halides again this will be controlled by the Apex.

Dosing Equipment: I will be using my current GHL 4 pump doser for Alk, Cal, Mag and Potassium but will be looking into the costs of running a Calcium reactor instead due to the larger demand on supplements in a tank this size. If I switch to a Calcium reactor I will likely use the doser for Potassium, Strontium, Iodine and Iron.


So that is the details of the system and photos of the current progress will follow.
Uglyman's 4ft LED lit mixed reef

If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.

Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
uglyman
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2141
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:17 pm
Posts Per Page: Pyalong Vic

Re: Uglyman's Experiment Has Begun.

Post by uglyman »

Two shots during construction of the tank at Starfire Aquatics.

Image
Image

Stand under construction

Image
Image


Couple of current tank shots, I have black vinyl wrap for the back panel and black acrylic cut for the overflow I'm just waiting on Neodymium magnets to be able to finish the weir.

Image

This shot shows the triangle corner piece cut out to allow wiring for the Jebao WP40 and Schego heater to fit neatly under the eurobrace.

Image

Skimmer

Image

Return Pump

Image
Uglyman's 4ft LED lit mixed reef

If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.

Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
Bangalang
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 659
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:57 pm
Posts Per Page: canberra

Re: Uglyman's Experiment Has Begun.

Post by Bangalang »

Awesome start mate! Cant wait to see this one come together
MitchD
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:03 am
Posts Per Page: WA

Re: Uglyman's Experiment Has Begun.

Post by MitchD »

Well planned out from the start, keeping my eye on this one.
nbw
Lurking Reefer
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:53 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: Uglyman's Experiment Has Begun.

Post by nbw »

Can I ask what made you go with the Jebao 12000?
Considering one myself and would like some feedback

Cheers
Nathan
uglyman
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2141
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:17 pm
Posts Per Page: Pyalong Vic

Re: Uglyman's Experiment Has Begun.

Post by uglyman »

Thanks for the interest everyone :thumbsup:

nbw wrote:Can I ask what made you go with the Jebao 12000?
Considering one myself and would like some feedback

Cheers
Nathan


I needed at least 6000l/h through the sump and I liked the option of being able to tune the flow up or down with this dc pump to get the flow rate I want, plus at 6000 l/h this pump will not be pushed hard and should have a longer life span. I know that Jebao are not the greatest pumps in the world but I have heard some good comments from some people and I am willing to give them a go. I would have loved one of the new Aquabee up 8000 dc pumps but I don't have a tree out back that grows $100 notes on it lol.
Uglyman's 4ft LED lit mixed reef

If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.

Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2383
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:01 am
Posts Per Page: Orange, NSW
Contact:

Re: Uglyman's Experiment Has Begun.

Post by blacjack »

Exciting times actually seeing the tank and stand built :clap:

I'm interested to see what you think of the Jebao when you get it going.
uglyman
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2141
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:17 pm
Posts Per Page: Pyalong Vic

Re: Uglyman's Experiment Has Begun.

Post by uglyman »

blacjack wrote:Exciting times actually seeing the tank and stand built :clap:

I'm interested to see what you think of the Jebao when you get it going.


It is getting pretty exciting :-D

I have had a play with the Jebao in a large tub of fresh water and it is very powerful and amazingly quiet, I love the 10 different power level settings on the controller they give you some fantastic control over flow rates.
Uglyman's 4ft LED lit mixed reef

If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.

Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
damer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Posts: 5872
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:13 am
Posts Per Page: Geelong, Victoria.

Re: Uglyman's Experiment Has Begun.

Post by damer »

Can't wait to see it done. Maybe I need to come for a drive :thumbsup:
"Don't ever give up!! Today might be your day for a miracle...."

Damien's 1300 x 1200 x 600
uglyman
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2141
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:17 pm
Posts Per Page: Pyalong Vic

Re: Uglyman's Experiment Has Begun.

Post by uglyman »

Your always welcome to drop round Damien :thumbsup:
Uglyman's 4ft LED lit mixed reef

If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.

Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)”