Introduction: System Objectives: My tank is pretty full now. It's time to enjoy watching it grow. System Type: Mixed Reef Display System: Strike up Date: 08-Dec-2014 Display Tank: 3x2x2 Display Lighting: 3x EcoTech Radion Pro with diffuser Stand and hood: Yes! Sump: Yes! In sump refugium: Chaetomorpha under 28W PAR 38 grow light (blue and red LEDs) Support systems: System Water: Red Sea salt Display Water circulation: 1x EcoTech MP60 & 1x MP10 w Battery Backup Return Pump: Tunze Silence 1073.040 Skimmer: AquaMedic TF 1000 Evaporation Top Up: Tunze Osmolator nano Chemical Support: Dosing pump:GHL 4x Ca Alk Mg Addition: ATI Essentials Nitrate Addition: Calcium Nitrate Extras: Red Sea Reef Energy, Vinegar, KZ Coral Vitalizer GAC: TLF Hydrocarbon (bag) Water Chemistry: 27-Jul-2018 Nitrates: 2 ppm Phosphates: 0.01 ppm Alkalinity: 8.0 dKH Calcium: 420 ppm Specific Gravity: 1.026 Magnesuim: 1350 ppm Dancing banana:
Last edited by michaela on Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:15 am, edited 11 times in total.
Filling the tank Under the hood Tank was cycled and the fish + anemone went in on 18-Jan-2015 Added some corals and a clam from my old tank on 8-Feb-2015 Full tank shot 23-Mar-2015 I need to get the phosphate and nitrate levels lower and stable. SPS frags are encrusting so I'll add a new Acropora colony soon.
Last edited by michaela on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Previously I have used Seachem Matrix (~8 L) to keep low nitrate levels. I think it works well, although I only had 4 fish in my 4x2x2. This time I want a pretty decent amount of fish so I'll be trying vinegar to keep nitrate low.
The story so far... starting NO3− 10 ppm post cycle levels (20% water change each 2 weeks) 4-Feb-15 - started with 5 ml daily (NO3− 5 ppm) 9-Feb-15 - increased to 10 ml daily (NO3− 5 ppm) 15-Feb-15 - increased to 15 ml daily (NO3− 5 ppm) 19-Feb-15 - increased to 20 ml daily (NO3− 2 ppm) 3-Mar-15 - increased to 35 ml daily (NO3− 0 ppm) 7-Mar-15 - kept at 35 ml daily (NO3− 0 ppm) 23-Mar-15 - reduced to 28 ml daily (NO3− 0 ppm, I noticed my water was a bit cloudy) 25-Mar-15 - kept at 28 ml daily(NO3− 0 ppm, water is much clearer at this volume of vinegar)
2018 Nitrate = 2ppm Phosphate = 0.01 ppm I dose 25 mL of vinegar per day. I have a 28 watt grow light over chaetomorpha in the refugium section of my sump. I have removed my phosphate reactor and dose 2 ppm of calcium nitrate daily.
Last edited by michaela on Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:45 am, edited 3 times in total.