IT Office Tank

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Nano and Pico Tanks with a Volume less than 100 litres.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

drewgon
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:32 am
Posts Per Page: Regional Victoria

IT Office Tank

Post by drewgon »

I work in the Education system, I spend more time at work than at home..so I figured I would attempt a Pico tank for the office at work. Keeping it simple..I am thinking lots of zoaanthids. My manager wants a Nemo because he reckons we will have a stream of kids. I went to an unfamiliar fish shop to get the live rock, I was hunting around this outside tank..had very low hopes..but I dug deep in there and pulled out a few nice chunks so I decided to buy them. 1.5KGS

System Type: Small simple coral reef type

Strike up Date: 14th February 2015

Display Tank: Dymax IQ5

Display Lighting: I went with the Dual Zed lights the tiny ones..Unsure of the model.

System Water: NSW

Water circulation: Standard in tank pump, I believe its 200l/ph?

No tests done yet, will leave it a few days and see if the cycle has begun.

Image

Image
drewgon
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:32 am
Posts Per Page: Regional Victoria

Re: IT Office Tank

Post by drewgon »

Random Comments so far:
I like the lights.
Is that Sea Monkeys?
I see you have a fish tank, or is that for something else?
Did the school pay for that? (Typical Teacher)
Is that a Pet Rock?
Is that Coral?
Is it a fish tank? (Yes its salt water) You should get some Neon tetras for it. 8-)
kodez
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:27 pm
Posts Per Page: Perth

Re: IT Office Tank

Post by kodez »

Just to save you from yourself.... Hey lol, neat looking little tank. Just throwing it out there, if those are the ZETlight's they're not trustyworthy, overheart and burn.
Peace,
Kodez
drewgon
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:32 am
Posts Per Page: Regional Victoria

Re: IT Office Tank

Post by drewgon »

Hi kodez,

They are the little ZETlights..SO that is not good to hear! :P Considering they cost me $45 each!

Ill have to keep an eye on them.

The worst thing about this Dymax IQ5 is the weir isnt big enough to sustain the water going threw the return pump ;s
chrismelb
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: IT Office Tank

Post by chrismelb »

The IQs are cool looking tanks, I had an IQ3 with some modification to the weir i was able to introduce a larger pump for better flow. Here is my closed TJ with an IQ3 so you can see what i did http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=248443

HTH
Last edited by chrismelb on Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kodez
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:27 pm
Posts Per Page: Perth

Re: IT Office Tank

Post by kodez »

Cheers chris, didn't know about the intensity loss. Is that the same with all the ZET's or simply the nano version? Sorry to jack your thread drew.
chrismelb
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: IT Office Tank

Post by chrismelb »

Not sure Kodez. Might check with the guys on Nano-reef
drewgon
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:32 am
Posts Per Page: Regional Victoria

Re: IT Office Tank

Post by drewgon »

kodez wrote:Cheers chris, didn't know about the intensity loss. Is that the same with all the ZET's or simply the nano version? Sorry to jack your thread drew.


+1 I have a bigger zet on my home tank, so I am slightly interested myself.
chrismelb
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: IT Office Tank

Post by chrismelb »

Sorry guys it's not the Zetlight, but dymax led lights that come with the IQs and the dymax Zon lights that loose intensity. Got mixed up with the Zs. Have edited above post. Not sure how good the zetlights are. But having touched the the tiny heatsink of those little zetlights in a shop and seeing how hot they got, it wouldn't surprise me if they burn out and lose intesity quickly. As a rough rule you should be able to rest your hand on the heatsink and it should be warm to the touch. If you have to remove your hand soon after its not sufficiently cooling the LEDS.
drewgon
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:32 am
Posts Per Page: Regional Victoria

Re: IT Office Tank

Post by drewgon »

chrismelb wrote:Sorry guys it's not the Zetlight, but dymax led lights that come with the IQs and the dymax Zon lights that loose intensity. Got mixed up with the Zs. Have edited above post. Not sure how good the zetlights are. But having touched the the tiny heatsink of those little zetlights in a shop and seeing how hot they got, it wouldn't surprise me if they burn out and lose intesity quickly. As a rough rule you should be able to rest your hand on the heatsink and it should be warm to the touch. If you have to remove your hand soon after its not sufficiently cooling the LEDS.

Okay yeah that's why I brought the zetlight in the first place because the standard dymax ones looked shitty.

But you are right, the little zetlights on my tank are running so hot I doubt you could leave ur hand resting on it. :s
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks Nano/Pico (Less than 100 Litres)”