Jess's 55L Aquanano 40.

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Nano and Pico Tanks with a Volume less than 100 litres.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Post Reply
Budz92
Starting to get the hang of this place
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:07 pm
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Jess's 55L Aquanano 40.

Post by Budz92 »

Introduction:
Hi all, my name is Jess,
I've been in the aquarium hobby for a while now, I currently have 1 tropical planted tank, a cichlid tank and a breeding tank and wanted to take my hobby to a whole new level, so after many years of dreaming and reading up on marine aquariums, I finally bought an aquanano 40 back in June 2014, in attempts of keeping marine fish and corals.
I have had it running for almost 6 months now and thought I should start to log everything I have done so far, in hopes of learning more, and sharing my marine journey with MASA.

System Objectives:
To learn as much as possible from this forum and other sources and put to practice a beautiful, healthy miniature ecosystem.

System Type:
I plan on creating a mixed reef with LPS coral and fish.

Display System:
Aquaone Aquanano 40.

Strike up Date:
28/06/2014

Display Tank:
Aquaone Aquanano 40.
Overall dimensions: 40 x 40 x 40cm.
Volume: 55L
Heater wattage: 55W
Return pump Flow Rate: 500L/hr
Power Requitements: 220-240V
Coral sand, live rocks X 5kgs, 3 turbo snails, x2 hermit crabs and a Vortech mp10 power head.


Image

Display Lighting:
Dalua Comboray Marine DIY
X1 Royal Blue
X1 Blue
X1 Cyan
X2 White
X1 UV
Fitted to the tank using Comboray Mounting stands.

Stand:
Solid bedside table.

Hood:
No hood.

Sump:
Built in sump/filtration system at the rear of the aquarium consisting of four chambers:
Chamber 1 (intake): I'm using; Course poly fibre, Black sponge, marine pure block, below chamber one I have added marine pure balls.
Chamber 2:
Skimmer (Nano skim) and marine pure balls below skimmer.
Chamber 3:
Bio balls at the bottom, Marine Pure Block above that and macro algae at the top to allow light for growth.
Chamber 4 (Return):
Gear and chemicals; Heater, Sump return power head and thermometer.

Support systems:

System Water:
Natural Salt water.

Display Water circulation:
Vortech MP10. (low flow rate setting)

Return Pump:
Standard Aquanano 40 powerhead.

Skimmer:
Ocean Free NanoSkim.

Evaporation Top Up:
Manual Top up

Current Water Chemistry:
Nitrates:-2
Phosphates:-8.2
Alkalinity:-9.8
Calcium:-420
Salinity / Specific Gravity:-1.025
Magnesuim:-1480

Image
Last edited by Budz92 on Wed May 27, 2015 7:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
saltymike
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:27 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Jess's 55L Aquanano 40.

Post by saltymike »

Hi Jess,

Welcome to the marine world!!

Good little tank the 40. I have had one myself (now a little acan oasis) for a couple years.

Can't wait to see some pics

Mike
Mike and Tina's AR400 Tank Journal link below

http://masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=243993
Budz92
Starting to get the hang of this place
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:07 pm
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Jess's 55L Aquanano 40.

Post by Budz92 »

Hey Mike, Thank you very much. :-)

So far its been a great little tank! Haven't had any issues at all yet, (Touch wood).
No algae, no deaths, corals and clowns seem to be looking very happy.

Still haven't quite figured out how to post pictures yet, still pretty new to the forums, but I'll do my best to figure it out and get some up ASAP :-)

Jess
saltymike
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:27 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Jess's 55L Aquanano 40.

Post by saltymike »

Your welcome and I'm glad it's been going so well.

Only time I've had issues with it was if I didn't clean the filter sections regularly enough or not do regular water changes.

I upload my photos to photobucket and copy the img code and paste that directly in.

Hope that helps :)

Mike
Mike and Tina's AR400 Tank Journal link below

http://masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=243993
Budz92
Starting to get the hang of this place
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:07 pm
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Jess's 55L Aquanano 40.

Post by Budz92 »

That helped heaps thank you :-D :-D!!!
My first pic of my torch is up... Hopefully it turned out okay. If so, more to come. :-D

And yes I try to do a water change every second day, don't want to slack off and get an algae out break!

I have actually had one issue with it, come to think of it now
I can't find a skimmer small enough and efficient enough that fits in the new design Aqua nano 40. I tried the tunze 9002 but with the new design it is a bit big to fit it in the back. So I'm stuck with this one that id probably even be better with out.. but that would be the only downer I can think of.

Also the tank in your journal looks absolutely stunning! Very inspirational

Thanks again for teaching me how to put up the photos!

Jess
saltymike
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:27 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Jess's 55L Aquanano 40.

Post by saltymike »

Ok great glad it helped you post your first pic. Nice looking Torch too :clap:

I had a 9002 before in another 4ft. Have you looked at the Tunze 9004? That's their small nano skimmer. Your regular water changes will definitely keep things in check and as long as you keep the filter chamber etc clean you'll have no real parameter issues hopefully. Something to watch out for can be detrius buildup in the bottom of the filter chamber though.

Thanks for the compliment I really like my AquaReef 400

:cheers:

Mike
Mike and Tina's AR400 Tank Journal link below

http://masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=243993
Budz92
Starting to get the hang of this place
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:07 pm
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Jess's 55L Aquanano 40.

Post by Budz92 »

Thank you, it is a nice torch,
I haven't yet had the chance to see the 9004, I'll try to see if I can find one, the 4th chamber in the new design aquanano 40 is a massive pain in the neck, I don't have much space to fit anything, and I'm not all that confident chopping and changing things my self, but I'll figure something out eventually! :-D
Thank you for the advice, I'll keep that all in mind.
And you should be very proud of your reef it's very spectacular! I hope to have something that impressive one day!
kodez
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:27 pm
Posts Per Page: Perth

Re: Jess's 55L Aquanano 40.

Post by kodez »

I'm running the 9004 comline, it's a great little skimmer, skimmate is relatively wet compared to what I'm used to but nice dark colour, it has a very small footprint as well. Definitely worth the money IMO.
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks Nano/Pico (Less than 100 Litres)”