Page 1 of 5

Rusty1's In Wall Tank adventure!

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:02 am
by Rusty1
Introduction:
So after 8 years I have made it to the big boys forum!

2400 x 800 x 700 in Wall Tank with the main focus on fish with SPS corals. This will be my 5th Reef in 9 years which all started with a 3 x 18 x 18 that grew to a 4 x 2 x 2 pretty quicky. Next came the 6 x 2 x2 then I discovered the beauty of wider tanks with a 5ft x 800 x 550. This tank only came after my first attempt at an 8 x 3 x 2 cracked when I filled it. Then after 4 years I finally upgraded to this tank and have put it in wall.

System Objectives: A Fish dominated SPS tank. Yes I would like pretty colored corals but no I do not want to put that much effort in or have no fish. I will keep those corals that can handle some nutrient such as Dalles and go from there. I would also like an Anemone in this tank

System Type: Fish with SPS corals.

Display System:
1500 litre

Strike up Date:
02/11/14

Display Tank: Display tank specifications.
2440mm x 800mm x 70mm Starphire front in wall display with corner weir.
Display Lighting: Lighting specifications.
2 x 250w MH
2 x 400w MH
8 x 39w T5 supplementation.

Stand: Stand specifications.
Timber stand

Hood: Hood specifications.
In wall.

Sump: Sump specs if applicable.
1500 x 600 x 450 3 Chamber Sump

Refugium: Refugium Specifications if applicable.

Refugium Lighting: Lighting specifications.
24w Power Compact
Support systems:
Profilux 3

System Water:
Natural salt water

Display Water circulation:
2 x Tunze 6205 and 2 Vortech MP40W all controlled by the Profilux

Return Pump:
Laguna 11000LPH

Skimmer:
ATB Medium Deluxe. Was an external that I converted to Internal.

Evaporation Top Up:
ATO controlled by Profilux


Chemical Support:
Calcium Reactor made by Turbo (RIP) and a secondary chamber by Reef Octopus


Current Water Chemistry:
Nitrates: 2.5
Phosphates:.10
Alkalinity: 150
Calcium: 400
Salinity / Specific Gravity: 1.026
Magnesuim: 1250


Images:
Image

Re: Rusty1's In Wall Tank adventure!

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:32 am
by chromus
Great to see you joined the big boys Rusty, we need your arch nemesis Robthepom to get a man sized tank now.

If you want any pointers just PM.

Mine is 1100 off the ground, in hindsight 1000 or 1050 would have been fractionally better. Looks great as a room feature, but due to the viewing angles of the corals, some don't get full colour compared to a more top down angle.

Make sure you box in around the bottom of the tank and have a floor drain, otherwise you'll end up doing this :wall: if the unthinkable ever happens.

Re: Rusty1's In Wall Tank adventure!

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:11 am
by saltymike
Nice Rusty will be keeping an eye on this bud.

Any 'special' fish in mind?

Mike.

Re: Rusty1's In Wall Tank adventure!

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:59 am
by NVRENUF
Welcome.
I also aimed at 1100 off the ground. Though i then went and added 20mm of feet to the stand,
love the height. going from previous tank being 800 high.. makes a huge difference having the main focus of tank
at eye height.

T

Re: Rusty1's In Wall Tank adventure!

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:14 pm
by bubbleboy
I'm with the boys on this one Rusty, 1100 :thumbsup:
Good choice on going 800 deep :clap:
look foward to the build!

Re: Rusty1's In Wall Tank adventure!

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:27 am
by Rod the Reefer
Nice Rusty.

Looking forward to it.

Rod. :thumbsup:

Re: Rusty1's In Wall Tank adventure!

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:49 am
by wayne2.0
800 plus rim after 1100 from the ground = a long way up. I had 1000 on a old tank I liked it.

Re: Rusty1's In Wall Tank adventure!

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:55 am
by Rusty1
chromus wrote:Great to see you joined the big boys Rusty, we need your arch nemesis Robthepom to get a man sized tank now.

If you want any pointers just PM.

Mine is 1100 off the ground, in hindsight 1000 or 1050 would have been fractionally better. Looks great as a room feature, but due to the viewing angles of the corals, some don't get full colour compared to a more top down angle.

Make sure you box in around the bottom of the tank and have a floor drain, otherwise you'll end up doing this :wall: if the unthinkable ever happens.


Yeah I started thinking 100 butI think when looking at tanks from memory you are looking directly at them, and not down, thus seeing more of the undersides of the corals (specially those near the top as they will be 1800 off the ground.

Robs a big soft Pommy, he will never go this big!!!

saltymike wrote:Nice Rusty will be keeping an eye on this bud.

Any 'special' fish in mind?

Mike.


Well my stocklist for the current tank is a little heavy so not too many more. Maybe just add a Queen Angel and the wife really likes the Achilles Tang :o

NVRENUF wrote:Welcome.
I also aimed at 1100 off the ground. Though i then went and added 20mm of feet to the stand,
love the height. going from previous tank being 800 high.. makes a huge difference having the main focus of tank
at eye height.

T


Cheers. It is a hard choice . I do worry 1000mm will be slightly low. But I will mainly view it from the comfort of my recliner so a little lower will be good. Just worried it will look a little silly in the wall. Like a picture hung too low.
bubbleboy wrote:I'm with the boys on this one Rusty, 1100 :thumbsup:
Good choice on going 800 deep :clap:
look foward to the build!


Thank you.

Rod the Reefer wrote:Nice Rusty.

Looking forward to it.

Rod. :thumbsup:


Cheers Rod.

wayne2.0 wrote:800 plus rim after 1100 from the ground = a long way up. I had 1000 on a old tank I liked it.


I will be adding a 400mm shelf at the base out the back of it to stand on so hopefully I can get my slightly oversized stomach around it!

Re: Rusty1's In Wall Tank adventure!

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:39 am
by robthepom
Rusty1 wrote:So after 8 years I have made it to the big boys forum!

2400 x 800 x 700 in Wall Tank with the main focus on fish with SPS corals.

My first question to those with in wall tanks.

Height off the ground. How high did you go and are you happy with that viewing height?


So that will be about 600mm off the ground for you :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing the blue face in new home

Give me a hoy if you need hand, got plenty of white Xenia and brown zoa when your ready for them

Re: Rusty1's In Wall Tank adventure!

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:06 am
by Rusty1
robthepom wrote:
Rusty1 wrote:So after 8 years I have made it to the big boys forum!

2400 x 800 x 700 in Wall Tank with the main focus on fish with SPS corals.

My first question to those with in wall tanks.

Height off the ground. How high did you go and are you happy with that viewing height?


So that will be about 600mm off the ground for you :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing the blue face in new home

Give me a hoy if you need hand, got plenty of white Xenia and brown zoa when your ready for them


:roflmao: :roflmao:

Very quick with the come backs!

I will sing out but think it is under control!