Matts 4 x 2 x 2 now upgraded to 1500x800x550

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Post Reply
Matt1961
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 815
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:52 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Matts 4 x 2 x 2 now upgraded to 1500x800x550

Post by Matt1961 »

Introduction:
This will be my first foray into a reef tank, have had fresh water fish before mainly tropical but currently keeping 2 barramundi with my son

System Objectives: Hoping to set up a successful reef tank focussing mainly on LPS corals with 2 clown fish to keep my daughter happy (please can I have a nemo pleeeease) a mystery wrasse for me and hopefully one day a mandarin goby

System Type: Mixed Reef

Display System:

Strike up Date:Hpefully in the next few weeks as I still need to get some small equipment purchased'

Display Tank: 4 x 2 x 2 10mm glass, 3 overflow pipes(thinking about changing this to 2) and 1 return all 4 drilled in back pane of tank close to top of tank.

Display Lighting: Initially 2 T5's for the cycle, then will add another T5 with 6 tubes.

Stand: Pine.

Hood: Pine.

Sump: 3 x 1.5 x 1.5, 4 chambers.

Refugium: Hoping to add one into the sump,

Refugium Lighting: None as yet

Support systems:

System Water: Natural Salt Water

Display Water circulation: TBA looking at 2 aquael 10000

Return Pump:3600l/h.

Skimmer: Haqos ps600?

Evaporation Top Up:manual?


Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: NA

Alkilinity Addition: NA

Other Chemical Maintenance: NA

Current Water Chemistry: NA
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesuim:


Images:

:banana:
Tank
Image
Current overflows
Image
Image
Current return
Image
Sump
Image
Image
Skimmer
Image
Image
Middle section of sump and return
Image


Would appreciate everyone's thoughts on the overflows outlets, should I build a weir around them? should I turn the overflow closest to the corner into a second return and have 2 overflow pipes and 2 returns?


Thanks for reading
Matt
Last edited by Matt1961 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Matt1961
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 815
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:52 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: Matts 4 x 2 x 2

Post by Matt1961 »

Finally moved tank onto stand, just need to work out what I'm doing for a weir and I can start filling
Image

Matt
Matt1961
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 815
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:52 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: Matts 4 x 2 x 2

Post by Matt1961 »

Ordered the black acrylic and Weldon to fabricate an internal coast to coast weir today and also a sheet of black acrylic for the background, hopefully delivered this week so I can get it wet on the weekend.
Bought some test kits from age of aquariums yesterday at the MASQ meeting and having 1000L of NSW delivered Wednesday.

Getting excited now as it's getting closer. Should I test the NSW when it gets delivered so I have a base line to start with? Would only be able to test for nitrite, nitrate, phosphor and ammonia with current test kits, also salinity with a refractometer.

Also should I filter my NSW as it goes in the tank? If so what micron filter sock should I use?

Matt
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:27 pm
Posts Per Page: Redland Bay

Re: Matts 4 x 2 x 2

Post by wayne2.0 »

Hi Matt, I previously used a 5 micron filter, the guy delivering yours might have already run it via filter, ask him?

Testing salinity is always good a practice, save the rest of your tests kits for the cycle.

Its hard to watch and wait, good luck being patient during the cycle.
Matt1961
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 815
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:52 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: Matts 4 x 2 x 2

Post by Matt1961 »

Installed my coast to coast overflow today and bean animal overflow.
Just need the silicon to cure and I can add water and test.

NSW arrived Wednesday so once fresh water test is complete I plan on adding saltwater next weekend

Just my luck that I missed 100% reefsafe special on live rock today :konk:


Weir in
Image
[img][https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320x240q90/r/674/u5VB0w.jpg/[img]

Bean animal overflow
Image

Image

I have a sheet of black Perspex left over which iam thinking of using for the back?
Hows the best way to attach it and should it go inside or out?

Matt
LPS fan
Centurion Reefer
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:52 am
Posts Per Page: Kings Cross Sydney

Re: Matts 4 x 2 x 2

Post by LPS fan »

Hey Matt, making some good progress, tagging along. So I siliconed on black perspex to the back inside of my tank, not sure if its the right way but worked for me. Also don't filter my seawater and the corals love it.
Matt1961
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 815
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:52 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: Matts 4 x 2 x 2

Post by Matt1961 »

Filled the tank with tap water for the first wet test. Hopefully going to drain and fill with salt water Friday night and fill with LR Saturday.

Water height over weir was a little lower than I hoped and puts the water height at about 2 mm below the hood :(
Will start looking for a slip on weir comb which hopefully will raise the water level by about 5 mm to take the water line above the bottom of the hood.

Can't find the base to my wave maker so if anyone has a spare outside base for a JVP 5000 let me know.

Any ideas on how to get the micro bubbles off the glass and acrylic? Not many in the water column but the back wall and weir are covered in them.

Also can I grow macro in my weir? I have a section about 3 feet long, 4 inches wide and the water is about 1.5 inches deep? Thought I might put some egg rate dividers in to stop it getting in the overflows and use for nutrient export and pods? Currently gets a little spill over light from tank, but if I can't grow macro there I will cover with the left over black acrylic I have.


Matt
Matt1961
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 815
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:52 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: Matts 4 x 2 x 2

Post by Matt1961 »

Thought id better put up some photos

Water level in tank
Image

Sump setup (any suggestions for setup and what to put in there welcome)
Image

Matt
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:27 pm
Posts Per Page: Redland Bay

Re: Matts 4 x 2 x 2

Post by wayne2.0 »

The bubbles will dissolve / defuse back in to the water.

Not sure on the macro in the weir idea, cant think why it would be a bad idea so try and see :)
Matt1961
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 815
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:52 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: Matts 4 x 2 x 2

Post by Matt1961 »

Big today today as my eldest turns 12. Happy birthday haz been

Also filled the tank with NSW, skimmer running, lights on, heaters on, water currently at 26.
Going to get live rock shortly and the cycle can start

Should I run carbon during the cycle? Will it help any or hurt the process?

Matt
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)”