Is it time to attempt/explore a "MACA"? (Serious)
Moderator: Moderators
-
Kevin.Erickson
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 480
- Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:11 pm
- Posts Per Page: Townsville, QLD
- Contact:
Is it time to attempt/explore a "MACA"? (Serious)
Is it time to attempt a "MACA" (Marine Aquarium Conference of Australia)?
It will take 16-24 months to plan, and would need a solid committee of at least 4 people, with at least 1 of them being in the host location.
I suggest that RTAW at least create an exploratory committee so see whether or not such a project is feasible.
Although I do not have time to be on such a committee at the moment, I would be happy with sharing the resources I have on hand from planing multiple MACNAs.
What do you all think?
Please no thread jacking.
It will take 16-24 months to plan, and would need a solid committee of at least 4 people, with at least 1 of them being in the host location.
I suggest that RTAW at least create an exploratory committee so see whether or not such a project is feasible.
Although I do not have time to be on such a committee at the moment, I would be happy with sharing the resources I have on hand from planing multiple MACNAs.
What do you all think?
Please no thread jacking.
Kevin Erickson, PhD.
2015 MASA Dallas sp. Award winner: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=262147
President & CEO of the Marine Aquarium Societies of North America (MASNA), owners of the Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA), & hosts of MACNA 2021 in Atlanta, Georgia, September 3-5, 2021. MACNA.org
Accepting speaking gigs on my PhD research on Marine Ornamental Biosecurity in Australia: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=250731
https://www.KevinPErickson.com
My DIY Skimmer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8lE1gOIkzc
"Beneath the surface lies the future." - SeaQuest DSV
Member of MASRQ, MASQ, MASS, MASWA, MASAOG, & MASOV!
2015 MASA Dallas sp. Award winner: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=262147
President & CEO of the Marine Aquarium Societies of North America (MASNA), owners of the Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA), & hosts of MACNA 2021 in Atlanta, Georgia, September 3-5, 2021. MACNA.org
Accepting speaking gigs on my PhD research on Marine Ornamental Biosecurity in Australia: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=250731
https://www.KevinPErickson.com
My DIY Skimmer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8lE1gOIkzc
"Beneath the surface lies the future." - SeaQuest DSV
Member of MASRQ, MASQ, MASS, MASWA, MASAOG, & MASOV!
-
r0cksteady
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1989
- Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:40 am
- Posts Per Page: Mulgrave Victoria, Australia
Re: Is it time to attempt/explore a "MACA"? (Serious)
Good idea. Would need to be driven by sponsors.
Jason
*A question never asked, is a question never answered.
*Two people attempting something differently, doesn't make one of them wrong
r0cksteady's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft REEF display
*A question never asked, is a question never answered.
*Two people attempting something differently, doesn't make one of them wrong
r0cksteady's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft REEF display
-
NewyReefer
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2736
- Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:46 am
- Posts Per Page: Newcastle
Re: Is it time to attempt/explore a "MACA"? (Serious)
That sounds like a excellent idea, would be great to see it happen here..
Matty.
Thinking inside the box-----------v
--------My ZEOvit AIO SPS Nano---------
-----------My 5x2.5x2 Reef------------
Now thinking outside the box----^
-------------My Aquatic Log---------------
Thinking inside the box-----------v
--------My ZEOvit AIO SPS Nano---------
-----------My 5x2.5x2 Reef------------
Now thinking outside the box----^
-------------My Aquatic Log---------------
-
chromus
- I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
- Posts: 19409
- Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:09 am
- Posts Per Page: Atwell, Perth, WA
- Contact:
Re: Is it time to attempt/explore a "MACA"? (Serious)
I would love to see it, I think it may be a few years away but it would be awesome.
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?
My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
-
Kevin.Erickson
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 480
- Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:11 pm
- Posts Per Page: Townsville, QLD
- Contact:
Re: Is it time to attempt/explore a "MACA"? (Serious)
From N0rk via Facebook:
"I've floated the idea several times and went as far as seeking out sponsors and the like to see what the feasibility was. From the industry and speakers there was definitely interest, but I do wonder if our relatively small size compared to the MASNA societies would be a major hindrance to feasibility."
"I've floated the idea several times and went as far as seeking out sponsors and the like to see what the feasibility was. From the industry and speakers there was definitely interest, but I do wonder if our relatively small size compared to the MASNA societies would be a major hindrance to feasibility."
Kevin Erickson, PhD.
2015 MASA Dallas sp. Award winner: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=262147
President & CEO of the Marine Aquarium Societies of North America (MASNA), owners of the Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA), & hosts of MACNA 2021 in Atlanta, Georgia, September 3-5, 2021. MACNA.org
Accepting speaking gigs on my PhD research on Marine Ornamental Biosecurity in Australia: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=250731
https://www.KevinPErickson.com
My DIY Skimmer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8lE1gOIkzc
"Beneath the surface lies the future." - SeaQuest DSV
Member of MASRQ, MASQ, MASS, MASWA, MASAOG, & MASOV!
2015 MASA Dallas sp. Award winner: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=262147
President & CEO of the Marine Aquarium Societies of North America (MASNA), owners of the Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA), & hosts of MACNA 2021 in Atlanta, Georgia, September 3-5, 2021. MACNA.org
Accepting speaking gigs on my PhD research on Marine Ornamental Biosecurity in Australia: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=250731
https://www.KevinPErickson.com
My DIY Skimmer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8lE1gOIkzc
"Beneath the surface lies the future." - SeaQuest DSV
Member of MASRQ, MASQ, MASS, MASWA, MASAOG, & MASOV!
-
Kevin.Erickson
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 480
- Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:11 pm
- Posts Per Page: Townsville, QLD
- Contact:
Re: Is it time to attempt/explore a "MACA"? (Serious)
If there is previous discussion to this regard, can someone provide the link?
If it is in a "mod" only forum, can I been given access to see it?
If it is in a "mod" only forum, can I been given access to see it?
Kevin Erickson, PhD.
2015 MASA Dallas sp. Award winner: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=262147
President & CEO of the Marine Aquarium Societies of North America (MASNA), owners of the Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA), & hosts of MACNA 2021 in Atlanta, Georgia, September 3-5, 2021. MACNA.org
Accepting speaking gigs on my PhD research on Marine Ornamental Biosecurity in Australia: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=250731
https://www.KevinPErickson.com
My DIY Skimmer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8lE1gOIkzc
"Beneath the surface lies the future." - SeaQuest DSV
Member of MASRQ, MASQ, MASS, MASWA, MASAOG, & MASOV!
2015 MASA Dallas sp. Award winner: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=262147
President & CEO of the Marine Aquarium Societies of North America (MASNA), owners of the Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA), & hosts of MACNA 2021 in Atlanta, Georgia, September 3-5, 2021. MACNA.org
Accepting speaking gigs on my PhD research on Marine Ornamental Biosecurity in Australia: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=250731
https://www.KevinPErickson.com
My DIY Skimmer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8lE1gOIkzc
"Beneath the surface lies the future." - SeaQuest DSV
Member of MASRQ, MASQ, MASS, MASWA, MASAOG, & MASOV!
-
spwa
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 695
- Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:58 am
- Posts Per Page: Clontarf QLD
Re: Is it time to attempt/explore a "MACA"? (Serious)
It should be fully possible, after all they have multiple reptile, bird and other type expo's/shows. A Committee should not be too hard to put together, events organizer, fundraiser/ sponsor committee member so on so on. I would believe that most all of the manufacturers and distributors (wholesale and retail) would be more than happy to get on board.
The only fault would be the lack of passion from the committee in place.
The only fault would be the lack of passion from the committee in place.
I am not addictive person I just get mildly obsessed with things.
Simon's 5ft Shallow 380lt
Simon's 3ft Mixed System CLOSED
Simon's 40cm Cube CLOSED
There's always a plan for a new project, but don't tell my wife.(Opps she Knows now)
Simon's 5ft Shallow 380lt
Simon's 3ft Mixed System CLOSED
Simon's 40cm Cube CLOSED
There's always a plan for a new project, but don't tell my wife.(Opps she Knows now)
-
ynotrahuk
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 126
- Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:58 am
- Posts Per Page: Perth, Australia
- Contact:
Re: Is it time to attempt/explore a "MACA"? (Serious)
What a great idea and long overdue.
I would be happy to volunteer any expertise I might bring to the table as a research scientist!
There are many reefers and aquarium enthusiasts out there (on facebook forums alone) that would be very interested in this, if it were to happen.
Cheers,
Tony
I would be happy to volunteer any expertise I might bring to the table as a research scientist!
There are many reefers and aquarium enthusiasts out there (on facebook forums alone) that would be very interested in this, if it were to happen.
Cheers,
Tony
-
Rusty1
- Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
- Posts: 9065
- Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:28 pm
- Posts Per Page: Hope Island, Gold Coast
Re: Is it time to attempt/explore a "MACA"? (Serious)
Having been involved with a Fragfest and bringing A. Calfo over, I had an insight to what is required.
Sponsorship can and should be able to cover the costs but there needs to be something in it for the sponsors. Having only a few major players locally does not help, but if you got the OS manufacturers involved (Tunze, Ecotech, Red Sea) and such it just may be possible.
Fragfest with Calfo attracted around 70 odd from QLD over the 2 days, so I would be concerned about numbers in Australia.
I think it would need to be run alongside/with the Pet expo's to get our best chance of sponsors and people along.
Would be happy to help and be involved.
Sponsorship can and should be able to cover the costs but there needs to be something in it for the sponsors. Having only a few major players locally does not help, but if you got the OS manufacturers involved (Tunze, Ecotech, Red Sea) and such it just may be possible.
Fragfest with Calfo attracted around 70 odd from QLD over the 2 days, so I would be concerned about numbers in Australia.
I think it would need to be run alongside/with the Pet expo's to get our best chance of sponsors and people along.
Would be happy to help and be involved.
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
n0rk: For all I say, I still love halides. The "crispness" is still unrivalled in most situations. I am a schmuck who wants to go halides.
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
n0rk: For all I say, I still love halides. The "crispness" is still unrivalled in most situations. I am a schmuck who wants to go halides.
-
pebbles
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 3296
- Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 10:13 am
- Posts Per Page: sydney
Re: Is it time to attempt/explore a "MACA"? (Serious)
It's definitely a numbers issue (on both hobbyist and sponsorship levels)...
Yep. And you would need to choose the location very carefully. Sydney would be the ideal choice from a numbers /exposure point of view. (Sorry rusty!)
JM2c
Angie
Rusty1 wrote:
I think it would need to be run alongside/with the Pet expo's to get our best chance of sponsors and people along.
Yep. And you would need to choose the location very carefully. Sydney would be the ideal choice from a numbers /exposure point of view. (Sorry rusty!)
JM2c
Angie
angie