What happened to RTAW?
Moderator: Moderators
-
locuus
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 975
- Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:37 pm
- Posts Per Page: Melbourne
What happened to RTAW?
I rarely come on here anymore, and like many other Reefers I talk to, if I do it's just to check the Classifieds. When I first started Reefing this place was full of sound advice, and more to the point interesting posts on topics I would then research for days. Now if I want to be stimulated I head to Reef Central. That's a sad state of affairs to me. How's it possible for a forum to go so far south? When I first started the Advanced Discussion was full of posts only by the most knowledgeable and experienced, like Tone or DR DBW on topics I barely often had an inkling on. Now it's full of "why aren't my biopellets working?" or the upteenth post on vodka. I'm not going to go near some of the amazing tanks that seem to be overlooked because their not in the right clique, and thus what often then gets praised. This forum needs a kick in the ass!
-
angel101
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1452
- Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:41 pm
- Posts Per Page: Fern Tree Gully, Melbourne, Victoria.
Re: What happened to RTAW?
Agreed. Back in the day there was a lot more humour too. It was genuinely entertaining. Guess the political correctness sorted that out.
I live in my own little world. But it's OK. They know me here.
-
terbit
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2764
- Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 10:39 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: What happened to RTAW?
locuus wrote:I rarely come on here anymore, and like many other Reefers I talk to, if I do it's just to check the Classifieds. When I first started Reefing this place was full of sound advice, and more to the point interesting posts on topics I would then research for days. Now if I want to be stimulated I head to Reef Central. That's a sad state of affairs to me. How's it possible for a forum to go so far south? When I first started the Advanced Discussion was full of posts only by the most knowledgeable and experienced, like Tone or DR DBW on topics I barely often had an inkling on. Now it's full of "why aren't my biopellets working?" or the upteenth post on vodka. I'm not going to go near some of the amazing tanks that seem to be overlooked because their not in the right clique, and thus what often then gets praised. This forum needs a kick in the ass!
Interesting comments, possibly more new to the hobby posting in the advanced discussion compared to when you 1st joined ?
As far as the right clique comment goes not sure where that is coming from?
There is reps on the PCS from all MASX societies which nominate and vote on the tanks nominated, myself included and to be honest there is no clique that I know of and if there was I couldn't give a Rats esrA and would vote for which one I thought deserved it!
Also curious to know which TOTM you disagree with?

-
locuus
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 975
- Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:37 pm
- Posts Per Page: Melbourne
Re: What happened to RTAW?
I don't really want to get into which tanks etc. All I will say is I see some reefers being feted because of their status whose tanks are not of a class I feel deserving of some of the honors given them, and this wouldn't have happened in the past.
I'm more concerned that I don't think these forums in any way compare anymore to the likes of RC and R2R, and I think that's a point of concern, considering this is supposed to be the focal point for Australian reefing. People can draw their own conclusions obviously as to why this has happened (or if it has).
I'm more concerned that I don't think these forums in any way compare anymore to the likes of RC and R2R, and I think that's a point of concern, considering this is supposed to be the focal point for Australian reefing. People can draw their own conclusions obviously as to why this has happened (or if it has).
-
terbit
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2764
- Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 10:39 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: What happened to RTAW?
locuus wrote:I don't really want to get into which tanks etc. All I will say is I see some reefers being feted because of their status whose tanks are not of a class I feel deserving of some of the honors given them, and this wouldn't have happened in the past.
I'm more concerned that I don't think these forums in any way compare anymore to the likes of RC and R2R, and I think that's a point of concern, considering this is supposed to be the focal point for Australian reefing. People can draw their own conclusions obviously as to why this has happened (or if it has).
Fair enough and everyone is entitled to an opinion, in regards to a lot of tanks being overlooked yes I agree, there is some great tanks that have no chance of winning purely on the rules of compliance ie: TOTM must be a paid MASX member.
Maybe you could donate some of your time by volunteering, and help to improve the place to get it back to what you expect, and make it comparable to the sites you mentioned above?

-
jayellul
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2471
- Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 10:26 am
- Posts Per Page: Lake Macquarie
Re: What happened to RTAW?
Any awards should be determined by a vote from the community not just committee members. It's just dumb.
-
locuus
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 975
- Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:37 pm
- Posts Per Page: Melbourne
Re: What happened to RTAW?
terbit wrote:locuus wrote:I don't really want to get into which tanks etc. All I will say is I see some reefers being feted because of their status whose tanks are not of a class I feel deserving of some of the honors given them, and this wouldn't have happened in the past.
I'm more concerned that I don't think these forums in any way compare anymore to the likes of RC and R2R, and I think that's a point of concern, considering this is supposed to be the focal point for Australian reefing. People can draw their own conclusions obviously as to why this has happened (or if it has).
Fair enough and everyone is entitled to an opinion, in regards to a lot of tanks being overlooked yes I agree, there is some great tanks that have no chance of winning purely on the rules of compliance ie: TOTM must be a paid MASX member.
Maybe you could donate some of your time by volunteering, and help to improve the place to get it back to what you expect, and make it comparable to the sites you mentioned above?
If it's just my opinion that these forums are less than what they should be, then it's irrelevant. I'd only volunteer if there was a change to the expectations of these forums. They've either either gone down hill for some reason or they haven't.
-
coit
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1134
- Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:54 pm
- Posts Per Page: East Brisbane
Re: What happened to RTAW?
RTAW
Most users ever online was 431 on Thu 10 May, 2012 10:15 am
RC
Most users ever online was 63,642, 10/29/2013 at 12:13 AM
Really you'd be best off comparing RTAW to one of the reef club forums under http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80 - probably find a comparable population and s/n to posts.
Most users ever online was 431 on Thu 10 May, 2012 10:15 am
RC
Most users ever online was 63,642, 10/29/2013 at 12:13 AM
Really you'd be best off comparing RTAW to one of the reef club forums under http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80 - probably find a comparable population and s/n to posts.
-
Macca_75
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2772
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:40 am
- Posts Per Page: SE subrubs, Melbourne, Victoria, AU
Re: What happened to RTAW?
I'm with Locuus on this one. I've been lurking around for a while, but lost a lot of interest of late.
I've never been a paid member of a MASx as I don't see the value for me personally - I'm sure plenty of others do and don't have an issue with MASx groups.
However I do find it a bit hypocritical that I can volunteer my time, but can't be on any committee. As I am not a member of a MASx group I can't join any Group buys, can't vote for anything, can't hold any official position, etc.
I'd argue I've tried to add value in the majority of my posts over the years (whether it's right or wrong advice, it's not thousands of posts with a thumbs up ecomotion or similar like others on this board with mega high post counts).
I've never been a paid member of a MASx as I don't see the value for me personally - I'm sure plenty of others do and don't have an issue with MASx groups.
However I do find it a bit hypocritical that I can volunteer my time, but can't be on any committee. As I am not a member of a MASx group I can't join any Group buys, can't vote for anything, can't hold any official position, etc.
I'd argue I've tried to add value in the majority of my posts over the years (whether it's right or wrong advice, it's not thousands of posts with a thumbs up ecomotion or similar like others on this board with mega high post counts).
-
JohnoL
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 363
- Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:27 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: What happened to RTAW?
Macca_75 wrote:I'm with Locuus on this one. I've been lurking around for a while, but lost a lot of interest of late.
I've never been a paid member of a MASx as I don't see the value for me personally - I'm sure plenty of others do and don't have an issue with MASx groups.
However I do find it a bit hypocritical that I can volunteer my time, but can't be on any committee. As I am not a member of a MASx group I can't join any Group buys, can't vote for anything, can't hold any official position, etc.
I'd argue I've tried to add value in the majority of my posts over the years (whether it's right or wrong advice, it's not thousands of posts with a thumbs up ecomotion or similar like others on this board with mega high post counts).
