My Banggai Breeding Journal

Discussion on breeding & propagating marine fish, corals & other species.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding

Magicj
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:29 am
Posts Per Page: Hobart, Tasmania

My Banggai Breeding Journal

Post by Magicj »

After having reasonable success with breeding Amphiprion ocellaris I have been planning my next challenge.

For some time I have been interested in the Banggai cardinalfish (Pterapogon kauderni). I became aware of a hobbyist in the North of the State who was closing down his tank - he had a pair that had bred a number of times in his tank - if nothing else, that overcomes the problem of trying to pick a male and female.

The first spawn occurred on 23/2/14 but the male decided to eat the eggs on day 16 - maybe he was too tempted by the clown fish nest that hatched on that night.

The second spawn occurred on 20/4/14. Last night I decided to strip him of the eggs i.e. 12 days post spawn. After a fair amount of effort I was able to obtain a number of eggs - they are pretty much eggs with eyes at this stage.

Image

I almost had a major disaster during the night when I had a malfunction with the egg tumbler but, luckily, the eggs survived and have developed quite a bit in a short period of time

Image

Image

Cheers
Ben Paul
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 10:03 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: My Banggai Breeding Journal

Post by Ben Paul »

Looking good
Good luck it's not easy to get them through
Hope the tumbler doesn't fail again for you
Magicj
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:29 am
Posts Per Page: Hobart, Tasmania

Re: My Banggai Breeding Journal

Post by Magicj »

Thanks Ben.

The tumbler is still working reasonably well so :crossfingers: that it all works out as planned.
Ben Paul
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 10:03 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: My Banggai Breeding Journal

Post by Ben Paul »

How are they going ?
Magicj
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:29 am
Posts Per Page: Hobart, Tasmania

Re: My Banggai Breeding Journal

Post by Magicj »

Ben Paul wrote:How are they going ?


Not good - my DIY egg tumbler is not working as I would have hoped. I have had a few eggs die but also had a number hatch but the fry have been sucked into the top sponge and died. I changed over the tumbler last night to a pump driven one but I suspect I have been too late. I still have a few viable eggs remaining but I think they have been handled too much over the past week and doubt that any will survive.

If nothing else, I have learned a lot with this spawn which should help with subsequent ones. I ordered a Ziss tumbler today which should help a lot.

Cheers
Ben Paul
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 10:03 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: My Banggai Breeding Journal

Post by Ben Paul »

Better luck next time never herd of a ziss tumbler where are they from
damer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Posts: 5872
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:13 am
Posts Per Page: Geelong, Victoria.

Re: My Banggai Breeding Journal

Post by damer »

:withyou:

Good luck, at least you are having a go.
"Don't ever give up!! Today might be your day for a miracle...."

Damien's 1300 x 1200 x 600
Magicj
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:29 am
Posts Per Page: Hobart, Tasmania

Re: My Banggai Breeding Journal

Post by Magicj »

Ben Paul wrote:Better luck next time never herd of a ziss tumbler where are they from


There was a recent writeup on reefbuilders about the Cobalt Egg Rocker - http://reefbuilders.com/2014/03/17/egg- ... plication/. This is just a rebranded Ziss egg tumbler which has been used in the freshwater world for some time.

I have continued to have problems with my DIY egg tumblers - I have lost quite a number to fungus and a few to my own mistakes with the end result that I currently have 3 fry remaining although I suspect that one will die overnight as it has a damaged caudal peduncle which appears to now be showing some fungus. Hopefully I can keep these two alive, learn from my mistakes, and have much better success with future spawns.

Image
Magicj
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:29 am
Posts Per Page: Hobart, Tasmania

Re: My Banggai Breeding Journal

Post by Magicj »

After some major issues I have one survivor who is now at 32 days post spawn. It is eating well on gut loaded BBS and is growing quickly :)

Image

Hopefully I will be a bit more successful with the next spawn.

Cheers
damer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Posts: 5872
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:13 am
Posts Per Page: Geelong, Victoria.

Re: My Banggai Breeding Journal

Post by damer »

You only have to raise one to be successful. Well done.
"Don't ever give up!! Today might be your day for a miracle...."

Damien's 1300 x 1200 x 600
Post Reply

Return to “Propagation & Breeding”