CLOSED Obie's n00b Dymax IQ5 Pico Reef
Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals
-
obie
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 218
- Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:49 am
- Posts Per Page: Melbourne
CLOSED Obie's n00b Dymax IQ5 Pico Reef
Hey all.
I just wanted to share my new pico reef which I have been planning for a few weeks.
I would love your suggestions and opinions. I will try and take alot of photos and update as often as I can.
I will start with the gear:
Tank: Dymax IQ5
Lights Dymax ZEO NX5
Heater: Dymax IQ Thermo Mini heater
Skimmer: Dymax IQ Skimmer
Substrate: Corsal sand 3mm
Air pump: Dymax AP500
Powerhead: None YET
Livestock:
NONE so far. I will be picking up some rock from Coburg Aquarium. I was there yesterday but no luck - they sold out of all the good stuff and where left with old pieces which looked more like base rock. I was informed fresh batch due in tomorrow!
I have no idea what to put in this tank... i don't even know if i can put anything its so tiny. I'm a big fan of invertebrates.
[album]5869[/album]
[album]5870[/album]
[album]5871[/album]
I just wanted to share my new pico reef which I have been planning for a few weeks.
I would love your suggestions and opinions. I will try and take alot of photos and update as often as I can.
I will start with the gear:
Tank: Dymax IQ5
Lights Dymax ZEO NX5
Heater: Dymax IQ Thermo Mini heater
Skimmer: Dymax IQ Skimmer
Substrate: Corsal sand 3mm
Air pump: Dymax AP500
Powerhead: None YET
Livestock:
NONE so far. I will be picking up some rock from Coburg Aquarium. I was there yesterday but no luck - they sold out of all the good stuff and where left with old pieces which looked more like base rock. I was informed fresh batch due in tomorrow!
I have no idea what to put in this tank... i don't even know if i can put anything its so tiny. I'm a big fan of invertebrates.
[album]5869[/album]
[album]5870[/album]
[album]5871[/album]
Last edited by obie on Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-
gnadymmij
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 324
- Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:59 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Obie's n00b Dymax IQ5 Pico Reef
Keep the rock scape minimal have it away from the back wall and sides for cleansing and to allow optimal flow throughout the rock work. Always upgrade the lighting. Maybe to a par globe of what you'd like. A few places online sell them like naqua etc etc. Also with the tank.. Plan the direction you want to head in, interms of corals and fish. Be very thoughtful... With fish choice and corals..
-
obie
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 218
- Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:49 am
- Posts Per Page: Melbourne
Re: Obie's n00b Dymax IQ5 Pico Reef
thanks for the advice how far should the rocks be from the back? should i add an additional powerhead? another 200lph?
-
gnadymmij
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 324
- Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:59 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Obie's n00b Dymax IQ5 Pico Reef
Firstly I'd upgrade the stock pump.. The stock ones push so little water. With a wavemaker..it's hard to find a suitable one as the tanks quite small. A lot of flow can generate throughout the tank with an upgrades return.. Find the biggest and fit it in.. Make sure it's adjustable so you can turn it up and down.
-
DanMang
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 225
- Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:24 am
- Posts Per Page: Ourimbah
Re: Obie's n00b Dymax IQ5 Pico Reef
I had the same tank and setup up and running for just on a year, and didn't change anything at all (except the skimmer air stone) and had no issues at all. Although i would highly recommend removing the filter media and sponge in the sump section to help with flow, as the tank is way too small to add an internal power head for additional flow. I had a good deal of success using 'Purigen' in the back section of the sump in a tied up stocking and weekly 20%+ water changes and purigen changes every couple of months. I had about a kilo of live rock in mine and only soft corals and zoo's. A few morphs, a toadstool, small silunaria etc and two peppermint shrimp.
I honestly wouldn't recommend putting any fish in the tank, as by the time you actually fill it with rock/corals, the fish may only have 5 litres of water to play in. I find it cruel. But you know each to their own.
The lighting is more than sufficient for low maintenance corals (most softies). Wouldn't advise keeping lps or sps corals in a tank that size due to how unstable your water parameters can be with so little water, except with maybe the exception of candy canes, and maybe duncans (hardier lps).
I honestly wouldn't recommend putting any fish in the tank, as by the time you actually fill it with rock/corals, the fish may only have 5 litres of water to play in. I find it cruel. But you know each to their own.
The lighting is more than sufficient for low maintenance corals (most softies). Wouldn't advise keeping lps or sps corals in a tank that size due to how unstable your water parameters can be with so little water, except with maybe the exception of candy canes, and maybe duncans (hardier lps).
-
obie
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 218
- Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:49 am
- Posts Per Page: Melbourne
-
NewyReefer
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2736
- Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:46 am
- Posts Per Page: Newcastle
Re: Obie's n00b Dymax IQ5 Pico Reef
You will probably want to find a good quality airstone for your skimmer the standard one is sh*t and the skimmer will do nothing...
Matty.
Thinking inside the box-----------v
--------My ZEOvit AIO SPS Nano---------
-----------My 5x2.5x2 Reef------------
Now thinking outside the box----^
-------------My Aquatic Log---------------
Thinking inside the box-----------v
--------My ZEOvit AIO SPS Nano---------
-----------My 5x2.5x2 Reef------------
Now thinking outside the box----^
-------------My Aquatic Log---------------
-
obie
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 218
- Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:49 am
- Posts Per Page: Melbourne
Re: Obie's n00b Dymax IQ5 Pico Reef
NewyReefer wrote:You will probably want to find a good quality airstone for your skimmer the standard one is sh*t and the skimmer will do nothing...
well tbh i read somewhere - when the airstone is upgraded this skimmer is a beast.
the only thing is how to find the right size. my lfs has two types one is the standard one which is the same as mine - which is also available in 3-4 differnt brands or there was this huge one- which i had doubt coz it was so big.
-
NewyReefer
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2736
- Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:46 am
- Posts Per Page: Newcastle
Re: Obie's n00b Dymax IQ5 Pico Reef
Try redsea...I just would try and find a good quality not a cheapy. ..
Matty.
Thinking inside the box-----------v
--------My ZEOvit AIO SPS Nano---------
-----------My 5x2.5x2 Reef------------
Now thinking outside the box----^
-------------My Aquatic Log---------------
Thinking inside the box-----------v
--------My ZEOvit AIO SPS Nano---------
-----------My 5x2.5x2 Reef------------
Now thinking outside the box----^
-------------My Aquatic Log---------------
-
obie
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 218
- Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:49 am
- Posts Per Page: Melbourne
Re: Obie's n00b Dymax IQ5 Pico Reef
so its not just size but quality? LFS had red sea airstone?

