Retired: Blake's slice of the ocean - 9x2.5x2.5

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Post Reply
BlakeyBoyR
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 993
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:22 am
Posts Per Page: Greystanes (Sydney), NSW.

Retired: Blake's slice of the ocean - 9x2.5x2.5

Post by BlakeyBoyR »

Mods, please delete :)
Last edited by BlakeyBoyR on Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:58 am, edited 11 times in total.
I'm not addicted to Aquaria, I can quit any time I want ...
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Lake Macquarie

Re: Blake's slice of the ocean - 9x2.5x2.5

Post by jayellul »

following this one :)
Limp Bizkit
Lurking Reefer
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:35 pm
Posts Per Page: Bulimba, qld

Re: Blake's slice of the ocean - 9x2.5x2.5

Post by Limp Bizkit »

Look forward to updates
dougie
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 765
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:31 am
Posts Per Page: Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Re: Blake's slice of the ocean - 9x2.5x2.5

Post by dougie »

On board, I would personally go 3ft wide, and 2.5 high. 2.5 looks great but also helps you out with the lighting penetration and cleaning. You can build the rock work up a little higher to help get par to more light intense sps :)

Good luck, can't wait to see it come along :thumbsup:
ssscuz
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 3037
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:20 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Blake's slice of the ocean - 9x2.5x2.5

Post by ssscuz »

Tagging along with this. Nice big tank size
BlakeyBoyR
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 993
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:22 am
Posts Per Page: Greystanes (Sydney), NSW.

Re: Blake's slice of the ocean - 9x2.5x2.5

Post by BlakeyBoyR »

Got a quote, $4600 for 9x2.5'x2.5' with cabinet and crown, plus 5' sump built to my spec. Price includes delivery. I wanted to go 3' wide but I've been told by two different places that if I went 3' wide I'd have to consider heavier bracing and probably thicker glass due to sheer volume. I'm bummed because I'd love 3' or even 3.5' but $4600 is already quite a bit of money. I can't really afford to go any bigger :/ Glad people are tagging along. I'll try and keep this as interesting as possible!
I'm not addicted to Aquaria, I can quit any time I want ...
dougie
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 765
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:31 am
Posts Per Page: Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Re: Blake's slice of the ocean - 9x2.5x2.5

Post by dougie »

Is it 12mm glass? Correct me if I'm wrong but 3ft wide should make stuff all difference than 2.5ft, I thought the higher the tank was the thicker the glass needed to be?
Jethrov
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:21 am
Posts Per Page: Bunbury, WA

Re: Blake's slice of the ocean - 9x2.5x2.5

Post by Jethrov »

im with dougie the width wont affect how thick the glass needs to be, its largely determined by height.. 3 ft wide would look sensational.. imo u only do a tank this size once, that extra width shouldn't cost a huge amount more, go for it!

U don't need the water circulating in the ibc. just out of the light and air tight lid
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Lake Macquarie

Re: Blake's slice of the ocean - 9x2.5x2.5

Post by jayellul »

Jethrov wrote:im with dougie the width wont affect how thick the glass needs to be, its largely determined by height.. 3 ft wide would look sensational.. imo u only do a tank this size once, that extra width shouldn't cost a huge amount more, go for it!

U don't need the water circulating in the ibc. just out of the light and air tight lid

:With you: I'd swap height for width anyway!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robbo83
Lurking Reefer
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:56 am
Posts Per Page: Metford

Re: Blake's slice of the ocean - 9x2.5x2.5

Post by robbo83 »

Good luck with it all Blake, was great chatting with you today. Learnt heaps.
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)”