Backyard Hatchery - Purpose-built Air Conditioned Shed!

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

SammyJ
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:55 am
Posts Per Page: Alderley, Brisbane

Backyard Hatchery - Purpose-built Air Conditioned Shed!

Post by SammyJ »

Introduction:
Hi! My name is Sam and I have been keeping reef tanks for about 12 years or so. Last November I started breeding GSM clowns - something I'd been researching for years and always wanted to try. I found the main issue I had was space for grow-out of the juveniles (as they are quite territorial). The larval and meta phases were easy by comparison, but once they were about 4-5 weeks old they would begin madly killing/eating each other. At that time, my grow-out system was a 2ft tank. So after a year of planning, I am building a purpose-built grow-out system in my backyard contained within an air conditioned (and heavily insulated!) shed. This way I can hopefully produce larger batches of GSM and Darwin clowns, and maybe try some other species down the track. I should mention that this is 99% a labour of love, and if it makes any profit that's a bonus - but not my primary focus! :thumbsup: I would love to hear any advice, equipment tips etc that folks have to offer! :clownfish:

System Objectives: A scaled-down version of a commercial hatchery set-up. Inspired by pics such as this:

Image

System Type: Fish-only Grow-out system, with biological and chemical filtration.

Display System:

Strike up Date: December 2013 - January 2014.

Shed: Colorbond Shed - 3.8m (L) X 2.2m (W) X 2.4 (H). Due for delivery 6th December! Has 2 x skylight panels (over proposed aquaculture tank sites). Rest of roof and walls will be insulated by my Dad and myself after install.

Display Tank: Duraplas 1000L Aquaculture Tank - 1 initially, but room for a second if needed. Due for delivery 16th December! Pics as below:

Image

Image

Display Lighting: Natural sunlight (skylights) + 2 x Aqualina Slimline LED 36" lights.

Stand: Comes with Tank.

Sump: Still deciding between a glass or plastic sump. Will house skimmer, live rock and other media.

Refugium: Not sure if will add a DSB or not - will grow some macro algae somewhere though...

Refugium Lighting: Natural sunlight + LED.


Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water on start up. Planning to recycle water changes to save water as follows: Display -> grow-out -> plankton systems -> discard.

Display Water circulation: Central riser pipe type overflow.

Return Pump: Tunze Silence Pro.

Skimmer: Bubble Magus BM-NAC220-CS Cone Protein Skimmer.

Evaporation Top Up:Auto top up with RODI.

Any advice/comments are much appreciated! Looking forward to having all my aquaculture activities neatly tucked away and out of the house! :roflmao:
Last edited by SammyJ on Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
n0rk
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Posts: 7821
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:12 pm
Posts Per Page: An island smaller than the one I was on

Re: Backyard Hatchery - Purpose-built Air Conditioned Shed!

Post by n0rk »

Looks like a good setup, Sam :) what sort of money are you looking at for your skimmer? You could probably get a better alternative than the Skimz for similar dollars IMO.
BENJAMIN ::: If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE LOOKING FAR TOO CLOSELY. I FEEL VIOLATED.
SammyJ
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:55 am
Posts Per Page: Alderley, Brisbane

Re: Backyard Hatchery - Purpose-built Air Conditioned Shed!

Post by SammyJ »

Hey Ben! Thanks! If I can get a decent skimmer to handle 1500-2500L for less than $700 or so I'd be happy. I run a Deltec on my display system, but not looking at spending that level of $$$ on a grow-out system! :roflmao:
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:32 am
Posts Per Page: Perth WA

Re: Backyard Hatchery - Purpose-built Air Conditioned Shed!

Post by Choppa »

SammyJ wrote:Hey Ben! Thanks! If I can get a decent skimmer to handle 1500-2500L for less than $700 or so I'd be happy. I run a Deltec on my display system, but not looking at spending that level of $$$ on a grow-out system! :roflmao:


Hi Sam

Just a thought

Have you thought about an algae scrubber instead of a skimmer for your grow out system. It will also produce heaps of pods for it too.

chop
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
SammyJ
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:55 am
Posts Per Page: Alderley, Brisbane

Re: Backyard Hatchery - Purpose-built Air Conditioned Shed!

Post by SammyJ »

Hey Chop!

Honestly I've never used an algae scrubber before so would have to do some research on how to set one up... Is it possible to run both a skimmer and an algae scrubber (similar to a skimmer and macroalgae)? The idea of growing some pods is an attractive one too! Once I branch out into a few more fish species, I planned on building a dedicated pod culture system, so maybe I could find a way to incorporate an algae scrubber into that too? :thumbsup:
n0rk
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Posts: 7821
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:12 pm
Posts Per Page: An island smaller than the one I was on

Re: Backyard Hatchery - Purpose-built Air Conditioned Shed!

Post by n0rk »

Shoot me a message on Facebook and we can have a chinwag, Sam :)
BENJAMIN ::: If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE LOOKING FAR TOO CLOSELY. I FEEL VIOLATED.
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:32 am
Posts Per Page: Perth WA

Re: Backyard Hatchery - Purpose-built Air Conditioned Shed!

Post by Choppa »

SammyJ wrote:Hey Chop!

Honestly I've never used an algae scrubber before so would have to do some research on how to set one up... Is it possible to run both a skimmer and an algae scrubber (similar to a skimmer and macroalgae)? The idea of growing some pods is an attractive one too! Once I branch out into a few more fish species, I planned on building a dedicated pod culture system, so maybe I could find a way to incorporate an algae scrubber into that too? :thumbsup:


Try this forum for all things ATS

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/

Yes you can run both skimmers and ATS at once or though you may not bother once set up (if you go down that path)

Here is a short vid of the pods I'm getting each time I clean my scrubber - not to mention the ones returning to the system
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hLQu6HE ... ata_player

Cheers and good luck with the breeding

Chop
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
SammyJ
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:55 am
Posts Per Page: Alderley, Brisbane

Re: Backyard Hatchery - Purpose-built Air Conditioned Shed!

Post by SammyJ »

Well it's been an exciting few days for this project, with the shed being delivered yesterday along with some equipment! All set for installation of the shed mid next week. :clap:

The equipment that arrived included the return pump (Tunze Silence Pro) and the skimmer - Bubble Magus BM-NAC220-CS - which I assembled today - hilarious text instructions but excellent diagram and overall quality. Very easy to put together. :thumbsup:

Also the lights for the round grow-out tank arrived - Aqualina Slimline LEDs 2 x 36" units which I intend to suspend from the roof of the shed. They look to be of great quality and are very sleek and light-weight. Best of all they run on only 7.5 watts each, which isn't too shabby at all! These are to supplement the skylights in the shed, and I should mention that the spectrum they produce is suitable for fish only. That said I thought they were quite cost-effective at about $150/unit. Hopefully should keep power consumption and heat production to a minimum. :nod:

Anyway - enough chatter from me! Here is a pic!

Image
n0rk
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Posts: 7821
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:12 pm
Posts Per Page: An island smaller than the one I was on

Re: Backyard Hatchery - Purpose-built Air Conditioned Shed!

Post by n0rk »

Looking good! Not long now 'til I can harass you to buy fish I guess ;)
BENJAMIN ::: If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE LOOKING FAR TOO CLOSELY. I FEEL VIOLATED.
SammyJ
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:55 am
Posts Per Page: Alderley, Brisbane

Re: Backyard Hatchery - Purpose-built Air Conditioned Shed!

Post by SammyJ »

Well after a long weekend of slaving away with Dad the foundation for the shed is finished! :clap: The poly tank arrives tomorrow so will sit it in place and then build the shed around it. Hopefully will be all done within the week so I can do the plumbing and start the system cycling before Christmas. :crossfingers: Because I am currently renting, we have used a sleeper frame and pavers instead of a slab (which would have been MUCH easier!). Anyway, here it is being Lab tested:

Image
Post Reply

Return to “Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)”