DaElf's Impossible Bottle themed Pico

For details, discussions and Tank Journals for this years Pico tank competition

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

DaElf
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:40 am
Posts Per Page: Mackay

DaElf's Impossible Bottle themed Pico

Post by DaElf »

Introduction:

Ok so let's kick this off. I've been thinking about a Pico idea for a little while now, and this competition has given me the motivation to get it started.
A lot of this info in this first post will be edited as we go, so please excuse me leaving a lot of the template blank, but I'm still working out a fair bit of this.

I wanted to go with an Impossible Bottle theme. (like a ship in a bottle)

After being inspired by some of the reef vases you can see on the net, I thought it would be cool to have a set up that would show case a limited number of coral. One or two nice bits of coral being showcased in a small pico, then thinking more I was drawn to an immpossible bottle idea to go with this, thus aiming to have a nice sized piece of live rock inside a container that looks to small at first. (I'm sure this doesn't make sense just yet, but the pictures will help explain I promise)

So while out looking for ideas on what to use at the "tank" (I'll use that term loosely for now), I came across a candle holder that was perfect for what I had in mind.

The bottom will allow me to slide a large piece of live rock in, before sealing it up and thus making the appearance of an impossible bottle.
The metal that holds the glass will also cover the bottom, meaning the viewer will not be able to see how the rock went in.

Ok so that's the quick run down, so let's get the build started.

System Type: LPS (with maybe some soft)

PICO System:

PICO Tank: Candle Holder - Impossible Bottle.

PICO Volume: 5L of water added (total volume I would say is about 7L maximum)

PICO Lighting:

Start up date: 13-11-2013


Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water (I live two blocks from the beach, making NSW an obvious choice)

Display Water circulation: Small water feature pump (chinese brand, from local nursery), and airstone

Filtration: Just the live rock, and airstone making the top of the bottle act as a skimmer

Evaporation Top Up: Manual

Water Changes: Large water changes weekly, like most of the reef vase projects are doing. (eg 80% to 100%)


Chemical Support:

Calcium and Alkalinity Addition: Not at this stage

Other Chemical Maintenance: Not at this stage

Current Water Chemistry:
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesuim:


Livestock:

Corals:

Invertebrates and or CUC:

Feeding Regime:

Coral food: Mysis shrimp

Method: Turkey baster, done a couple of hours (or night before) a water change to eliminate any spikes from excess food.


Budget
Equipment expenses

Candle holder - $20
2 x glass circles for bottom - $45
Silicone - $5 (This means I can just say the tank cost me $70)
Small pump - $30
Airstone - $5 (for a pack of two)
Airpump - $20

Total $125 (so far)

Images:

Current FTS Date: 14-11-13
Image
Last edited by DaElf on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
DaElf
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:40 am
Posts Per Page: Mackay

Re: DaElf's Impossible Bottle themed Pico

Post by DaElf »

Ok so here are some pictures and a quick run down of where I'm currently at.

This is the Candle Holder I found
Image

for the bargain price of
Image
Thank you Target

Stripped down to get rid of the LED candle, and allow me to cut away the candle holder
Image

I found a piece of live rock at my LFS that I really liked, and with a little bit of manipulation I managed to get it to fit in through the bottom as previously discussed.
Image

Now the rock has to be in when I seal up the bottom, making it a little tricky

Now here is where I had a blonde moment.
I wanted to run the cord for the pump through the bottom, and the other half had some acrylic spare so I cut a bit to go on the bottom,
and notched it to allow the cord to slip in.
Image

Ok so like I said blonde moment :-s , I know that silicone doesn't bond to acrylic, but for some reason it didn't even occur to me,
until this happened.
Image

It's ok to laugh, god knows my other half did (that's who took this picture before I realised what she was doing.... :konk: )

Ok so I've got a couple of bits of glass cut into circles which I will be using this afternoon to seal up the holder.
(for round 2 lol)

So that is about where I currently stand.
Any questions or advise, feel free to let me know.

cheers
D
MeLLeR
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 3263
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:28 am
Posts Per Page: Cairns

Re: DaElf's Impossible Bottle themed Pico

Post by MeLLeR »

Cool idea, and i promise im not laughing too hard :roflmao:

How are you going to keep the live rock alive while the silicone dries (to seal up the base)? Or are you trying to use wet area/wet set silicone?
DaElf
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:40 am
Posts Per Page: Mackay

Re: DaElf's Impossible Bottle themed Pico

Post by DaElf »

Ok round two of trying to seal up the base lol

Slipped the rock in,
Image

The two circles of glass already siliconed together.
Image


Ok MeLLeR,
to answer your question. I'm going to put it in a bucket upside down,
and you'll see I used a bit of hose to stop from creating a airlock and popping the bottom off.
Image

Sorry I know not the best pictures, as they were all taken with a phone.
But you get the idea.
cody.sheridan-2008
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2639
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:18 am
Posts Per Page: Waverton, North Sydney, NSW Australia 2060
Contact:

Re: DaElf's Impossible Bottle themed Pico

Post by cody.sheridan-2008 »

Nice work mate, tagging along!
MASS President 2013, 2014
900x620x500 Rimless SPS tank - Pico time!
MeLLeR
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 3263
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:28 am
Posts Per Page: Cairns

Re: DaElf's Impossible Bottle themed Pico

Post by MeLLeR »

Ahhh, well done! Ingenious engineering in the workaround solution, im impressed! ;)
DaElf
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:40 am
Posts Per Page: Mackay

Re: DaElf's Impossible Bottle themed Pico

Post by DaElf »

Well let's just wait and see if it works first lol.
DaElf
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:40 am
Posts Per Page: Mackay

Re: DaElf's Impossible Bottle themed Pico

Post by DaElf »

And it's wet. (I really need to work out a light)

She took 5L of water, add the volume of the sand and rock to that I'm going to say the total volume is about 7 litres max.

Now it's a waiting game.....

Image

Image
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 4468
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:29 am
Posts Per Page: Adelaide, SA

Re: DaElf's Impossible Bottle themed Pico

Post by Mr Miagi »

I think less might be more with the liverock, but a really cool idea! You have any idea about your live stock?
--Cheers, Benny
DaElf
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:40 am
Posts Per Page: Mackay

Re: DaElf's Impossible Bottle themed Pico

Post by DaElf »

Mr Miagi wrote:I think less might be more with the liverock, but a really cool idea! You have any idea about your live stock?


Yeah kind of, I want to use it to showcase one/two corals.
I'm thinking a nice brightly colour small hammer or torch frag,
and then some rainbow acan.

No fish for obvious reasons, but I might conisder 1 small breed shrimp.

Not sure about cuc yet, but I leaning away from any crabs etc, so I'm not 100% on that yet.
Post Reply

Return to “RTAW PICO competition”