Chrom's Dream Tank - Jan 10th Pics Update

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Post Reply
chromus
I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
Posts: 19409
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:09 am
Posts Per Page: Atwell, Perth, WA
Contact:

Chrom's Dream Tank - Jan 10th Pics Update

Post by chromus »

Due to the general level of abuse the old TJ has been replaced and here is the condensed version

Introduction:

I am starting this tank journal knowing I have a long time before I can possibly have a wet tank, mostly so I can get you to critique the ideas and sanity check my mad ravings as I go along.

A bit of backstory, my wife and I sold our old house way quicker than the agent of we expected, meaning rather than a few months with my Mother Inlaw (MiL) it will be 32 months by the time we move in and I my dream tank. Living with your MiL is as bad as the cliches make out :wall: :nut: :konk:

My new house has been designed around the fact I wanted a large tank, I was originally promised a 10x3x2 thru the wall tank by my wife, but due to the building design and structural requirements I had to scale back to 8x3x2, but now I have been OK'd for 8x3x2.5. Not the end of the world, less lights to have to run and I can have a smaller skimmer. :thumbsup:

Here is a layout of the front 1/2 of the ground floor of the house, with the tank marked in Blue:

Image

So the tank will be mostly in the Lounge surrounded by a wall of cabinets, with the glass being flush with the wall in the family dining area, with luck the build should be finished early in the new year, and having my mate build the house means I can move the tank in and have it cycling before the official handover. :pirate:

To enable the tank to be easily carried thru the house I was able to incorporate a 1500mm wide passageway the length of the house from the rear garage to the lounge.

I will have 2 IBC's setup and plumbed thru ducting under the concrete pad to the tank and a 90mm waste pipe to allow for water disposal, the builder has advised me he will build the tank area like a shower with a brick hob and a sloping floor to the 90mm floor waste "just in case".

The intention is to have the 2 main panes of the tank in 12mm starphire and the other vertical panes in 12mm float with a 15 or 19mm base, after seeing the workmanship of Pacco from Vebas it is likely that is who will build the tank.

This is going to be a long haul project and I have no illusions that it will be cheap or quick, so from time to time as I get new gear or I have more to add I will do, I now need to :poke: someone with mad skillz with sketchup to draw up the tank/stand/cabinetry for me.

System Objectives: Centre piece to our new home, visible from Family/Dining and Lounge

System Type: Double reef, LPS dominated 1 side, SPS the other side with large show piece clam

Display System:

Strike up Date: :sleeper:

Display Tank: 8x3x2.5

Display Lighting:
5x 120W LEDs

Stand: Steel

Sump: 5x2x18"


Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water

Water Storage: 2 IBC's plumbed to the system under the concrete slab.

Display Water circulation: 4x Vortech MP40's, 2x Closed Loop pumps.

Return Pump: TBC - 7000LPH - 9000LPH

Skimmer: BK Supermarin 250

Chiller: Haliea HC-1000A

Evaporation Top Up: RO/DI - Tunze Osmolator


Current Water Chemistry: :roflmao:
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Ammonia:
Nitrite:

Intended residents:

Huge cleanup crew
2x Occy Clowns
1x Blue Tang called Tabetha
1x Bristlerooth called Bazil
1x Flamehawk called Flynn
1x Acanthurus Nigricans called G-Rim
2x Lemon Peel Angels (mated pair) Lenny and Lucy =-> yes a recipe for disaster in LPS tank I know :konk:
1x WA Algae Blenny called Benita
2x Urchins Ernie and Bert.
Large shoal of Anthias


Corals:
Acros
Stylos
Pocis
Torch
Leather
Hammers
Other LPS
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
chromus
I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
Posts: 19409
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:09 am
Posts Per Page: Atwell, Perth, WA
Contact:

Re: Chrom's Dream tank (for real this time)

Post by chromus »

Jase (nUm) has very kindly knocked together some sketchups of my house to assist in planning for my builder and to help us pick colours.

The tank:
Image

Image

The house:

Image

Image

Image
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
chromus
I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
Posts: 19409
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:09 am
Posts Per Page: Atwell, Perth, WA
Contact:

Re: Chrom's Dream tank (for real this time)

Post by chromus »

Progress pics for posterity sake

19th August 2012
Image

5th Octoper 2012
Image

26th Feb 2013
Image

19th May 2013
Image

Image
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
chromus
I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
Posts: 19409
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:09 am
Posts Per Page: Atwell, Perth, WA
Contact:

Re: Chrom's Dream tank (for real this time)

Post by chromus »

Finally a pic with a tank in it

9th July 2013
Image

Image

And today 16th August 2013
Image
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
coral1
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 4927
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:25 am
Posts Per Page: ROSEBUD VIC

Re: Chrom's Dream tank (for real this time)

Post by coral1 »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: now its getting exciting :thumbsup:
Renae
MASOV 2015-2016 president
Image[/image]
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=241394
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=162492
Kransky
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1767
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:33 pm
Posts Per Page: Cordeaux Heights , NSW

Re: Chrom's Dream tank (for real this time)

Post by Kransky »

And so it begins :) I'll be keeping an eye on progress

:cheers:
Col
Cols Tank Journal
Cols 4x2.5x2.5
pilonstar
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2540
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:19 am
Posts Per Page: South Sydney
Contact:

Re: Chrom's Dream tank (for real this time)

Post by pilonstar »

supa cool! :thumbsup:
The irony: removing all the nutrients, only to add them all back as high priced supplements.
Live stream tank http://www.erickmiranda.com
robthepom
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1506
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:02 am
Posts Per Page: Gold Coast

Re: Chrom's Dream tank (for real this time)

Post by robthepom »

:roflmao: :roflmao: take 2 :roflmao: :roflmao:

Time to deliver Phil, less house more tank :wavey:

Will be good to see, great size tank
Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 3 footer

Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 5 footer

There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness
notsomot
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Posts: 5015
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:35 am

Re: Chrom's Dream tank (for real this time)

Post by notsomot »

Warby any myself just moved sump and stand in place, I can confirm that something's happening :)
Byronredsea
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 917
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:24 pm
Posts Per Page: Byron Bay
Contact:

Re: Chrom's Dream tank (for real this time)

Post by Byronredsea »

Just saw the photo on Facebook Phil good one
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)”