2' Planted Marine Tank - Preliminary Thoughts

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Post Reply
bardus71
Starting to get the hang of this place
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 9:15 pm
Posts Per Page: Newcastle, NSW.

2' Planted Marine Tank - Preliminary Thoughts

Post by bardus71 »

This will be the absolute beginnings of my journey into saltwater. I will detail my thoughts, readings and influences as they occur, hoping to gather info and advice as I go.

My preliminary thoughts:
I would like to explore the sort of crossover areas that may exist between freshwater practice and saltwater "scaping". I will not be building a reef. I would like a planted foreground, midground, background, and features. I do not even know what a frag is yet. Plant selection is a long way off. What I am thinking, in my own mind, is revolutionary. However, due to my lack of knowledge, these revolutionary ideas may be common practice. Madness is like that. Enjoyable to the madman, a tad disconcerting to others.

I'm firstly passing thought to establishing a biologically functional system, and am obsessed with mud, and deep sand beds, and their biological filtration capacity, especially that of denitrification. The tank will be a standard 2'er. No refugium, no skimmer, no reactors, just an internal filter. Therefore, I want to capitalise on every other filtration possibility.

In the tank, I may have 3 divisions of substrate, with fine sand capping mud in the foreground where I may grow a carpet of seagrass or another short macroalgae, exposed mud in the centre with a feature piece coming out from within, and the deep sand bed in the rear with coral sand topped with coral rubble, and the rhizomes of a deep green flat leaf grass looking algae attached to rock forming the background curtain.

There will be a focus on getting as vast a biodiversity in here working from the bottom of the food chain up, and a suitable clean up crew. Plant wise, & fauna wise where applicable, I may be using local collected species here and setting this tank up as a biotope even if it is suitable, or at least a suitable habitat for the creature I really want to keep in here.........

Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
bardus71
Starting to get the hang of this place
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 9:15 pm
Posts Per Page: Newcastle, NSW.

Re: 2' Planted Marine Tank - Preliminary Thoughts

Post by bardus71 »

ssscuz
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 3037
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:20 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: 2' Planted Marine Tank - Preliminary Thoughts

Post by ssscuz »

Sounds like a unique tank. They are awesome to watch just hanging in the current. Seen a fair few down here in the bay while diving.
bardus71
Starting to get the hang of this place
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 9:15 pm
Posts Per Page: Newcastle, NSW.

Re: 2' Planted Marine Tank - Preliminary Thoughts

Post by bardus71 »

ssscuz wrote:Sounds like a unique tank. They are awesome to watch just hanging in the current. Seen a fair few down here in the bay while diving.


Yeah, my brother had a few pygmy squid come investigate him when he was diving. Said they were quite curious!
bardus71
Starting to get the hang of this place
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 9:15 pm
Posts Per Page: Newcastle, NSW.

Re: 2' Planted Marine Tank - Preliminary Thoughts

Post by bardus71 »

chris neill 1987 wrote:you wont be able to use seagrass as it very hard to plant and grow it is also highly protected


Hey Chris, thanks for replying. I do wish to do this ethically and will document the process necessary here if I need permits to gather seagrasses, or if I source them through study projects, or elsewhere. If I can contribute to the field, that would be awesome as well. My brother has worked in re-establishing coastal seagrass beds at one stage, and he will be able to guide me here.

Have you had experience with growing seagrass? If so, would you agree with Tom Barr's comments on the last page of the thread in the first link?
bardus71
Starting to get the hang of this place
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 9:15 pm
Posts Per Page: Newcastle, NSW.

Re: 2' Planted Marine Tank - Preliminary Thoughts

Post by bardus71 »

chris neill 1987 wrote:i will have a read and get back to you,ATM i am studying marine science, and one of my lectures is in charge of trying to grow sea grass in the lab and re planting it, sadly tho it has proved near imposable. You will have a hard time getting a permit as its protected in NSW
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/hab ... e#Seagrass


I would be VERY interested to hear more from you and about your projects Chris. In my links on seagrass there is a mention of the roots needing symbiotic bacteria and that they would be best harvested with their roots still in soil/sand. That may or may not be relevant to what you are doing. Anyways, would love to hear more.

Cheers.
Curious_Chaos
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 692
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:20 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: 2' Planted Marine Tank - Preliminary Thoughts

Post by Curious_Chaos »

Not sure, I have had similar ideas. I'd love to put some of the beautiful macro algaes/kelps etc in my tank... There's heaps of Seagrass down here in Victoria, and plenty of algae beds in general (we have some reefs but not that many). So i could run a temperate tank and plant it out :D

Definitely will consider it if I get a big tank and have the space to do it.
There's something fishy going on....
bardus71
Starting to get the hang of this place
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 9:15 pm
Posts Per Page: Newcastle, NSW.

Re: 2' Planted Marine Tank - Preliminary Thoughts

Post by bardus71 »

Curious_Chaos, if you do, be sure to post a journal of it!

I am sidelining this project until warmer weather again. There wouldn't be too much grass growth occur during the winter months I would imagine.
kodez
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:27 pm
Posts Per Page: Perth

Re: 2' Planted Marine Tank - Preliminary Thoughts

Post by kodez »

Any progress on this setup?
funebris
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:04 am
Posts Per Page: South Brisbane

Re: 2' Planted Marine Tank - Preliminary Thoughts

Post by funebris »

There was a brief bit on reef builders
http://reefbuilders.com/2011/12/20/marine-planted-tank/
Light on words, but some eye candy there!

Looking forward to seeing how this tank comes along.
I do think though, that if you look deep inside.....
you know that only a Metasepia pfefferi will truely scratch that itch!
Post Reply

Return to “Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)”