Mandarin with eggs? (Synchiropus occidentalis)

Discussion on breeding & propagating marine fish, corals & other species.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding

CaptCrash
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:22 am
Posts Per Page: Perth

Mandarin with eggs? (Synchiropus occidentalis)

Post by CaptCrash »

For anyone who has captive bred Mandarin's in the past.
Can you tell me if this is the female plump with eggs?

A photo of the female from pair one on the day I picked her up (22nd Jan 2013)
Image

Some photos of her tonight (31st Jan 2013)

Image

Image

Image

Image

As you can see she if very, very fat. Uncomfortable looking in fact.
For those that know, please tell me that this is her full of eggs.

Im concerned that this may be a bad thing. She is eating very well and doesnt seem bothered, so Im hoping its a good thing.
I have not had any Mandarin's spawn before so Im a bit apprehensive.
Oldnewbie
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:54 am
Posts Per Page: Murwillumbah

Re: Mandarin with eggs? (Synchiropus occidentalis)

Post by Oldnewbie »

Hey ive had my Manderins spawn a few times and the female didnt seem to change size as they continously spawn night after night but in saying that after collecting the eggs i didnt seem to have nearly as many as others who had written about their experiences with these fish laying
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution
Posts: 12412
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:20 am
Posts Per Page: Gold Coast, QLD

Re: Mandarin with eggs? (Synchiropus occidentalis)

Post by StripestheEel »

She has eggs.
CaptCrash
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:22 am
Posts Per Page: Perth

Re: Mandarin with eggs? (Synchiropus occidentalis)

Post by CaptCrash »

Yup, I have had a few people send me similar photos, with similar shapes.

Thanks for the comments and help everyone.
These guys are really rare and im being a bit over protective with them.
Oldnewbie
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:54 am
Posts Per Page: Murwillumbah

Re: Mandarin with eggs? (Synchiropus occidentalis)

Post by Oldnewbie »

If she doesnt have eggs you might want to get her to Jenny Craig lol
Jim
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 11:56 pm
Posts Per Page: Sutherland Shire, NSW.

Re: Mandarin with eggs? (Synchiropus occidentalis)

Post by Jim »

Good luck mate :thumbsup:
TheJordans
Centurion Reefer
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:51 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Mandarin with eggs? (Synchiropus occidentalis)

Post by TheJordans »

Yep, I'm with the others: she has eggs! Congratulations!
And awesome shots too! The closeness and clarity is amazing!
Look forward to hearing how you go!
Bek
jayrob
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:00 pm
Posts Per Page: newcastle

Re: Mandarin with eggs? (Synchiropus occidentalis)

Post by jayrob »

is that a WA mandarin (Synchiropus picturatus occidentalis)! how muchw as it? Sorry, feel free not to tell me. I want one of these!!
CaptCrash
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:22 am
Posts Per Page: Perth

Re: Mandarin with eggs? (Synchiropus occidentalis)

Post by CaptCrash »

jayrob wrote:is that a WA mandarin (Synchiropus picturatus occidentalis)! how muchw as it? Sorry, feel free not to tell me. I want one of these!!

Yes, that is the one. From what I could fined the "picturatus" has been dropped from the binomial name

There are a couple still available from Vebas in Perth. They are selling them for about $280 ea.
I think that some of the ones that they got in have gone to shops in the east, but there were two at least still in the store when I was there today.

I think Pacco said that the catcher was planning on collecting some only once a year due to the location and cost of collecting, so after these ones are gone its going to be a while.
Ben Paul
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 10:03 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Mandarin with eggs? (Synchiropus occidentalis)

Post by Ben Paul »

Great pics
Wish i had as good camera skills
That is one big belly
Anything happen yet
I would try putting them in a taller tank 2ft plus so they have room to rise at spawn
Post Reply

Return to “Propagation & Breeding”