Page 1 of 3

SPS Only - No Rock and No Sand

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:55 am
by CUNAReefer
Hello Australia,

Hope everyone is doing well across the pond. :wavey:

It's been quite a while since I posted and thought I would share some recent pics of my tanks. The tank is uses ZEOVit. I have provided Actinic and Daylight shots for your viewing pleasure.

Quick Edit: I have a fist size piece of LR holding down some egg crate in my sump. I have a couple cups of sand for my wrasse to sleep in and I also have some sand in a small container to support some hammer coral. Other than that, no LR and no sand.

Warmest Regards,
James

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: SPS Only - No Rock and No Sand

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:57 am
by ssscuz
Very cool, a lot of nice colours in there!

Re: SPS Only - No Rock and No Sand

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:00 am
by CUNAReefer
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: SPS Only - No Rock and No Sand

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:02 am
by pleco4me
:-x Stunning!

One question though, how do you remove the corals that have fully encrusted to the rack?

Re: SPS Only - No Rock and No Sand

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:06 am
by CUNAReefer
I've had to do it a couple times already :) Unless the coral grows through the holes in the rack, it pops right off. I reach under the rack and push on the bottom of the plug and "pop" off comes the coral. The encrusting growth is paper thin and is very delicate though. Since the racks are made of acrylic, they are non-porous and do not allow the coral to attach to the rack.

Re: SPS Only - No Rock and No Sand

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:13 pm
by CUNAReefer
A couple details about the tank:

I do feed the tank oyster eggs (Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast) on a nightly basis. I've found that feeding has become more important to the general health of my tank when using the ZEO system. When I did not feed the tank, the corals became very pale and lost tissue at the base. Here is a breakdown of my dosing on 150 gallons net.

Zeobac 6 drops 2 times a week
Zeostart3 1.1ml throughout the day
Pohls Extra 6ml nightly
AAHC I used this prior to dosing the Extra. When I combine with extra, I get a nice coating of brown algae on the glass. I no longer dose.
CV I dose 24 drops per night. This is way more than is recommended, but it works the best with my coral population.
Zeospur2 I have used this, but now use it very rarely due to the strength of this additive.

As for the lighting, I use an ATI 8x80 Sunpower over a tank that is 60 inches long, 22 inches wide, and 18 inches tall. The bulbs in the actinic shots were ATI Actinics. The Daylight shots are 3 Geisemann Mid Day, 3 ATI Aquablue, and 2 ATI Actinic. Using an Apogee PAR meter, I target PAR at the center of my tank to be 480. My skimmer is an Super Reef Octopus XP-3000 Int with an automatic head cleaner. There is a small amount of carbon used only to help with water clarity. I use artificial saltwater and use Brightwell Aquatics brand. Every Friday, I perform a 25 gallon water change. Below are my parameters

Phosphate .02 using a hanna meter
Nitrate .5 using a salifert test kit
Potassium 400
Calcium 430 using a red sea pro test kit
Alkalinity 7.8 using a hanna meter
Ph Day 8.15
Ph Night 7.95
Temp 79.5

Re: SPS Only - No Rock and No Sand

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:34 am
by ssbk23
Some very impressive colours :bow: :bow:

Re: SPS Only - No Rock and No Sand

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:40 am
by Byronredsea
Most of us do like colored sticks very nice :thumbsup:

Re: SPS Only - No Rock and No Sand

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:20 pm
by CUNAReefer
Thank you SSBK23 and Byronredsea,

I hope to keep the thread updated with growth shots every couple of months. I just changed the bulbs so I'm curious to see if I get any coloration change in the corals.

Warmest Regards,
James

Re: SPS Only - No Rock and No Sand

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:48 am
by fishwhisperer
Freaking love this tank!!!!
Love how tanks are going this way! Well done!
Can't wait to see the grow out.
Marcel.