Classifieds Template
Moderator: Moderators
-
kit
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1159
- Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:58 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Classifieds Template
With the classifieds being one of the busiest areas on this forum; I suggest implementing a template to ensure the ads placed have enough information for prospective buyers.
Here are a few ideas:
- Item Description
- Age
- Condition (N/A for Livestock)
- Price ($ or trade)
- Item location / pickup location (specifics - Sydney doesn't count as an item location)
- Will or won't post? (estimate postage if possible)
- Contact details (PM/email/phone)
Here are a few ideas:
- Item Description
- Age
- Condition (N/A for Livestock)
- Price ($ or trade)
- Item location / pickup location (specifics - Sydney doesn't count as an item location)
- Will or won't post? (estimate postage if possible)
- Contact details (PM/email/phone)
-
culturedreef
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2659
- Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:20 am
- Posts Per Page: Geelong
Re: Classifieds Template
I think it is worth considering i will make the suggestion to the Masa committee.
-
chromus
- I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
- Posts: 19409
- Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:09 am
- Posts Per Page: Atwell, Perth, WA
- Contact:
Re: Classifieds Template
Unfortunately we are limited by what the addon supports.
Maybe down the line once all the upgrades are in place it could be considered
Maybe down the line once all the upgrades are in place it could be considered
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?
My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
-
a_cam
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 412
- Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:37 pm
- Posts Per Page: Brisbane
Re: Classifieds Template
I would recommend against it myself. There is no reason why this information can't be put into the current description text box.
The reason for not modifying it is when we go to upgrade it, then it will require all the modification to be done to the new version.
This isn't a huge job if the work is documented, but I would hate to leave behind a highly modified set of mods making future upgrades harder.
Also when a new version of the Classifieds Mod comes out we would probably have to install the new version and manually update the database and then apply all the mods instead of just being able to run the upgrade script from the guy that codes it.
The reason for not modifying it is when we go to upgrade it, then it will require all the modification to be done to the new version.
This isn't a huge job if the work is documented, but I would hate to leave behind a highly modified set of mods making future upgrades harder.
Also when a new version of the Classifieds Mod comes out we would probably have to install the new version and manually update the database and then apply all the mods instead of just being able to run the upgrade script from the guy that codes it.
-
kit
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1159
- Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:58 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Classifieds Template
Hi guys,
I think a template doesn't have to be programmed into the actual submission form.
It could be as simple as a sticky at the top of the forum or a modification of the text on the submission page so people can cut and paste.
Rather than have separate fields like we do now, If there was some way to pre populated the text into the description box that would be even better. Users would simply need to type in the text and there would be no excuse to post poor ads.
There seems to be some really poorly listed ads (by laziness or otherwise) and it would be great to clean them up.
Even if people don't see the template, if everyone follows suit, they will be inclined to post a more descriptive ad.
The guidelines must be enforced with an "ads not following the template will be deleted" policy however.
I think a template doesn't have to be programmed into the actual submission form.
It could be as simple as a sticky at the top of the forum or a modification of the text on the submission page so people can cut and paste.
Rather than have separate fields like we do now, If there was some way to pre populated the text into the description box that would be even better. Users would simply need to type in the text and there would be no excuse to post poor ads.
There seems to be some really poorly listed ads (by laziness or otherwise) and it would be great to clean them up.
Even if people don't see the template, if everyone follows suit, they will be inclined to post a more descriptive ad.
The guidelines must be enforced with an "ads not following the template will be deleted" policy however.
-
cam
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 3342
- Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:49 am
- Posts Per Page: Taringa, Brisbane
- Contact:
Re: Classifieds Template
That is a much better idea in my opinion.
If someone does up a template for the description box, I can make it the default text when they create an ad, that way they have a guideline to follow.
If someone does up a template for the description box, I can make it the default text when they create an ad, that way they have a guideline to follow.
-
notsomot
- Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
- Posts: 5015
- Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:35 am
Re: Classifieds Template
cam wrote:That is a much better idea in my opinion.
If someone does up a template for the description box, I can make it the default text when they create an ad, that way they have a guideline to follow.
Can you make it when they choose what they are selling in the drop down tab
That it pre fills a template into the text box?
-
a_cam
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 412
- Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:37 pm
- Posts Per Page: Brisbane
Re: Classifieds Template
You can, but all modifications make upgrades all that much harder.
Adding one template to the Description is pretty simple.
Changing the code so it updates the template when I assume you change the Category is getting pretty big.
It would require (to work effectively) to move the Category input above the description, and then some javascript to populate the field.
Problem is there are 20 odd categories, so you need up to 20 templates.
I really think you are making this way more complicated than it needs to be.
Adding one template to the Description is pretty simple.
Changing the code so it updates the template when I assume you change the Category is getting pretty big.
It would require (to work effectively) to move the Category input above the description, and then some javascript to populate the field.
Problem is there are 20 odd categories, so you need up to 20 templates.
I really think you are making this way more complicated than it needs to be.
-
Rusty1
- Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
- Posts: 9065
- Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:28 pm
- Posts Per Page: Hope Island, Gold Coast
Re: Classifieds Template
Why not just go back to a forum based CA like we had previously?
We were always just going to see if the CA add on worked with no issues and to me there appears to be just as many issues either way.
A forum based Template would be easier, just lose the search functions I guess.
We were always just going to see if the CA add on worked with no issues and to me there appears to be just as many issues either way.
A forum based Template would be easier, just lose the search functions I guess.
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
n0rk: For all I say, I still love halides. The "crispness" is still unrivalled in most situations. I am a schmuck who wants to go halides.
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
n0rk: For all I say, I still love halides. The "crispness" is still unrivalled in most situations. I am a schmuck who wants to go halides.
-
chromus
- I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
- Posts: 19409
- Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:09 am
- Posts Per Page: Atwell, Perth, WA
- Contact:
Re: Classifieds Template
Search tweaks is one of the most asked for features, so losing what searches we do have is probably a negative.
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?
My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power