Oze's 700mm Cube Money Box

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

OzeDiver
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 515
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:04 pm
Posts Per Page: Gold Coast, Australia

Oze's 700mm Cube Money Box

Post by OzeDiver »

The plan...

Hi everyone,
I have been tossing the idea around of a cube for the last 6 or so months and have in the last 2 or 3 been really planning on what I want and doing my research. I thought I would put my plans up for judgement to see what others think. So here goes...

I plan on keeping SPS, Clams, LPS and maybe a few nice little pieces of flubber coral-wise and still sifting through my fish list.

<b>Tank:</b>
700mm x 700mm x 700mm - 12mm glass with euro-bracing which will most likely be supplied by Dennison at Mary-Anne's Aquariums, who has been awesome to deal with for quotes etc so far.
Full height back corner triangle weir with four holes to suit 40mm,40mm, 25mm and 20mm fittings.
I will be implementing the Syphon & Backup overflow system. 40mm backup, 40mm emergency , 25mm syphon and a 20mm return.

Image

<b>Stand:</b>
700mm x 700mm x 1000mm high - 90*35mm MGP12 frame. I'm unsure about the cladding at the moment

<b>Hood:</b>
700mm x 700mm x 400mm high - 25x25mm Qubelok frame with shelf to hold light reflector. I'm unsure about the cladding at the moment

Image

<b>Display Lighting:</b>
I have changed my mind now and have decided to go for a 250w single ended metal halide in a large LumenBright reflector with a CoralVue electronic dimmable ballast and 12k Reeflux globe. Supplemented by 2 SolarMax T5HO Light bars. And a Fish Bowl Innovations Moontube Moon Controller System and an extra Moontube Moonlight Extension

This setup will cost about 6x as much but I think it will provided much better results especially with a 700mm deep tank I think I will need the penetration MH. This option will hopefully allow me to keep anything, anywhere I want ( :crossfingers: )

<b>In-tank Circulation:</b>
Flow will be provided by a Gen II Vortech MP40w and maybe another powerhead to randomize it a bit more.

<b>In the tank</b>
20kg? Calgrit
20kg - 60kg of Live Rock hand picked to hopefully do something similar to Crazy4Acros from Reef Central except with a bit more height and probably another ledge on the pillar up the back. I will be using a combination of aqua-kneadit, cable ties and acrylic rod.

Image
Image

<b>Sump/Filtration:</b>
I am fairly limited for space under the tank so I am going for the biggest sump I can fit (which isn't that big!). It will be a 600mm x 600mm x 450mm running the water level at approximately 350mm.
It will be divided into 4 sections.
1. First in the back right-hand corner directly beneath the drain/syphon will be the intake and skimmer section (approx 380mm x 300mm) to fit a Marine Sources MS-150-6540. Along with the heaters and the chiller feed pump (Rio 6HF).
2. Through some baffles flowing to the front to a 600mm x 100mm refugium with a thing layer of Miracle Mud and your usual Caulerpa Taxifolia. It will be lit with a basic Double T5HO fitting.
3. Into a 250mm x 280mm x ~150mm deep, deep sand bed.
4. Finally to the return section with a Rio 10HF return pump. Giving a turnover of the sump of about 8x. I am also contemplating running a RO Calfusion 500...With a (small) C02 bottle mounted to the inside of the cabinet somewhere.

Image

<b>Heating & Cooling:</b>
Cooling will be provided by a Hailea HC-300A and heating three glass heaters.

<b>Miscelleanous:</b>
DIY ATJ Auto Top Off
Kalkwasser dosing (also looking into balling method)

Thanks to anyone has taken the time to read through all or part of this and any input what so ever would be greatly appreciated! Hopefully I haven't missed too much out.
I would also like to thank Guv, scd3 and mgrav as there tanks especially were inspirational.

:cheers:
Jordan
Last edited by OzeDiver on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:12 am, edited 6 times in total.
kurt
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 821
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:20 pm
Posts Per Page: Mandurah W.A

Post by kurt »

:o That's one of the best nanos ive seen, great design.

Top Suff Jordan :cheers:
snaza
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:44 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Post by snaza »

Great Design. looking forward to see how it progresses.
aaxxeell
Centurion Reefer
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:53 am
Posts Per Page: Australia

Post by aaxxeell »

love the scaping mate!
whats the minimum tank size for a yellow tang? i want one but my standard 3ft may be a tad small :D
Keep your friends close, and you anemones even closer :D
BISHY
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 859
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:04 am
Posts Per Page: South Sydney

Post by BISHY »

aaxxeell wrote:love the scaping mate!
whats the minimum tank size for a yellow tang? i want one but my standard 3ft may be a tad small :D



thats not his actual tank pictured :poke:


looks like a good plan tho :thumbsup:
beatnik
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:40 am
Posts Per Page: Madora Bay, WA

Post by beatnik »

Hi,

Am loving the setup (especially the aquascaping, came across that design yesterday and fell in love with it).

I'm also setting up a 65cm cube (2nd marine tank, 1st attempt at corals), and am trying to weigh up the lighting.

I did see the one you were looking at on Guppy's, however being new to this and of the female species, I'm not inclined to do my own mods to insert LEDS, moons etc.

Have you got any thoughts on the all in one MH units on Guppys? There's one for $225 that would fit my tank with a 1x250W 10,000 UV block, plus 4 T5 24W. There's a second that comes with a timer and 4 blue moon LEDs for $560.

any opinions???

cheers
Renae
OzeDiver
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 515
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:04 pm
Posts Per Page: Gold Coast, Australia

Post by OzeDiver »

Thanks for the comments guys. Anything in the plan that anyone would change?

kurt - nano? only compared to some tanks. It's about 340L or 90g.

aaxxeell - BISHY is right it's not my tank just one I found that I like. Minimum size for any tang would be a 4x2x2 as they're very active swimmers.

beatnik - I don't plan on doing any mods to the light (well none that I can think of at the moment). The blue LED moonlights will be from Guppy's also and I'm not sure about the white ones for the shimmer effect...they might have to be DIY'ed.

The first metal halide you were talking about is the other light I was choosing between. I think they would be alright alot of people on the forums are running his lights and some have run into problems see "Seemingly cheap good lighting".
As for the ones with timers I have heard from my LFS that he has had nothing but trouble with them...the timers, the fluoros, the halides. You name it. He does however run the former on his own tanks. So I would probably go with the them.
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 4559
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:51 am
Posts Per Page: Shailer Park Brisbane
Contact:

Post by AuS MaDDoG »

:clap: :clap: Looks absolutely great, leave everything as you have it!! you have obviously put a lot of planning into your proposed set-up and I look forward to watching it progress, well done.
:cheers:
Tony.
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution
Posts: 12412
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:20 am
Posts Per Page: Gold Coast, QLD

Post by StripestheEel »

Very nice. Wish I could draw pics like that.

This is going to be great when its up and running.
OzeDiver
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 515
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:04 pm
Posts Per Page: Gold Coast, Australia

Post by OzeDiver »

Thanks Tony and Stripes.It's great to have positive comments from the owner's of tanks the calibre of yours.

My lights should be here sometime tomorrow.

After seeing this thread I had a look around at shop linked to in there and I think I have found a solution to providing the shimmer...LED Tube Lights I am looking at SMD600 and 600mm Fixture. It seems a bit expensive though, so I'll keep looking around. It might be more cost effective to just pull apart some of those 12v LED Worklights and rig something up?
Post Reply

Return to “Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)”