Dan's ReefOctopus BioCube - Now with ZEOvit

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

dan.fraser
Curious Reefer
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:03 am
Posts Per Page: Canberra

Dan's ReefOctopus BioCube - Now with ZEOvit

Post by dan.fraser »

Hey Everyone,

I thought I should finally start a tank journal to document my biocube setup.

Equipment

Tank
Reef Octopus BioCube (white)
Lighting
4x 2ft LiteMaster dual 24W
1x GHL Profilux Simu-L Dimmable LED lightbar
Korallen-Zucht coral light & fiji purple T5 bulbs
Current
2x Tunze 6055
1x Pentair Quietone 3000
Filtration
Standard Sump (soon to be moded)
Reef Octopus Vortex 3000
Media
Seachem Matrix 1lt
Seachem Purigen 250gm
Controller
GHL Profilux Plus II
pH Probe
Conductivity Probe
Temp Probe
Optical Level Sensor
4 Pump dosing unit (Now Here!)
Proprellor Breeze 3 Fan unit

Livestock
2x Pink Skunk Clowns (Amphiprion perideraion)
2x Vanderbilt Chromis (Chromis vanderbilti) 4 on order
1x Rainford Goby (Amblygobius rainfordi)
1x Sixline Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia)
1x Firefish (Nemateleotris magnifica)
1x Canary Blenny (Meiacanthus oualanensis)
1x Convict Blenny (Pholidichthys leucotaenia)
1x Blue Clam (Not sure on type)
1x Redline Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)

Coral Details, more info and pictures to follow shortly :)

Cheers[/i]
Last edited by dan.fraser on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adam007
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1681
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:45 am
Posts Per Page: Mackay, QLD

Re: Dan's ReefOctopus BioCube

Post by Adam007 »

:welcome: good to see you posting this up here Dan ! There sure will be afew of us interested ;)

dan.fraser wrote:Coral Details, more info and pictures to follow shortly :)


Thats good, cause:

Image
PapaG
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:28 am
Posts Per Page: Japan

Re: Dan's ReefOctopus BioCube

Post by PapaG »

Adam007 wrote::welcome: good to see you posting this up here Dan ! There sure will be afew of us interested ;)


You've got that right. There is definitely a few of us on here that are really interested in these Biolife Cubes.

Can't wait to see some pics :thumbsup:
dan.fraser
Curious Reefer
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:03 am
Posts Per Page: Canberra

Post by dan.fraser »

Hehehe,I guess I should post a sneak peek before I sort out all my pics....

These are from the very early days, things have changed since.... ;)

Image
Image
Image
PapaG
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:28 am
Posts Per Page: Japan

Post by PapaG »

Dan,

I'm setting up a Biolife Cube. Just wondering what you think of the Pentair return pump? How quiet is it? I was thinking of getting on of these or an Eheim.

How are the Nanostreams 6055's. Do they provide plenty of circulation? Do you have the controllers for them?

If you were going to set it up again would you go still go with the 4x Litemasters, or would you go metal halide instead?

Oh and the tank looks pretty good too :roflmao:

Cheers mate
dan.fraser
Curious Reefer
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:03 am
Posts Per Page: Canberra

Post by dan.fraser »

Hey Papa,

The Pentair is fantastic! It is virtually silent, it has a Aus spec thread so you can just screw on a barbed hose attachment, which is a nice addition. Unlike the bulkheads provided with the cube.... I did have a Rio which was on loan from a LFS it was a tad loud to say the least...

Nano’s are beautiful, very nice flow, corals are very happy, fish aren’t phased either :) I’m considering adding an additional two 6025’s down low, not sure if I really need them though... The nanos are controlled via the GHL controller which has interface cables to allow it to control Tunze controllable pumps :clap:

I would go the LiteMasters again they are great, I have been getting great growth from the softies, I believe one has spawned as I had small 1-3mm sized pink/flesh coloured eggs floating around couple of weeks ago... Another great feature of the T5’s is they run relatively cool, over Jan/Feb my max tank temp was 30.1C, I also like the flexibility of being able to change colour combinations, you can highlight a specific area with an antinic for example.
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 4468
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:29 am
Posts Per Page: Adelaide, SA

Post by Mr Miagi »

Glad to hear your happy with the lightmasters, just one question, where did you get them from? :devil: Another great future journal to add to the "must watch" bookmarks. Good to see another MASAOG journal too! :thumbsup:
--Cheers, Benny
dan.fraser
Curious Reefer
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:03 am
Posts Per Page: Canberra

Post by dan.fraser »

Thanks Mr Miagi for the kind comments, Got the litemasters from my LFS redtree aquariums in Canberra and the Korallen-Zucht globes are from Reefing Life :)
Namn8r
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 3235
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:24 am
Posts Per Page: Adelaide

Post by Namn8r »

Looking great dan, would love to see some updates now...

I found a lighting unit on ebay that houses 8 x 24wt t5 and is only 9inches wide so you could fit 2 units. Only problem is they are 24"long. Can you tell me exactly how much room is available on the inside of the hood width?
dan.fraser
Curious Reefer
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:03 am
Posts Per Page: Canberra

Post by dan.fraser »

Hey Guys,

I have finally got some pictures, have been getting home late for the last few days :nono:

Pink Skunk Clowns (Amphiprion perideraion)
Image

Morph
Image

Redline Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
Image

More pics to come soon.

Namn8r, The hood is 620mm wide (inside), there is a 30mm lip on the left and right and it is 590mm deep and 110mm high (between the lip and the lid). Will post pics to elaborate.
Post Reply

Return to “Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)”