Help with fish selection

Just started out in the world of marine aquariums? Daunted by all the information, conflicting advice and just wondering what you should do? This is a forum for all of those that are new to the hobby to ask all and any beginner type of questions.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: New to the Hobby

Kranky
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 3415
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:30 am
Posts Per Page: Perth W.A

Help with fish selection

Post by Kranky »

[wiki]Fish Common Names[/wiki]
[wiki]Fish By Size[/wiki]
Kranky
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 3415
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:30 am
Posts Per Page: Perth W.A

Post by Kranky »

Fish by size page has had a bit of a work over to make navigation easier.

There's been 95 views of this thread to date, are people finding it useful?

Regards
Kranky
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2868
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Posts Per Page: Bunbury WA
Contact:

Post by Guv »

...all it has done for me so far is stop me getting any fish! :wall:

Oh to be ignorant and blissful again! :nut:

(Great effort btw)
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Kranky
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 3415
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:30 am
Posts Per Page: Perth W.A

Post by Kranky »

Guv wrote:...all it has done for me so far is stop me getting any fish! :wall:


thats the idea, more informed choices.

BTW, would you go the G. watanbei again?
Last edited by Kranky on Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2868
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Posts Per Page: Bunbury WA
Contact:

Post by Guv »

They were great fish but I'd recommend more swimming area than my system had.

The one that made it into the display just looked uncoordinated with the amount of flow and relatively small swimming space (they are afterall meant to be more open water fish) - I imagine a comparable sized Centropyge Angel would have been much more at home swimming through the rockwork.

I don't think I'll be replacing them.
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Roz
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:50 am
Posts Per Page: Adelaide/Prospect

Post by Roz »

I have been browsing this thread and have found it to be very informative in helping me with choosing what fish I will be getting when I am ready as I don't want the fish to out grow my tank or not be suited to the size that they will be in
Live, Let, Live
5x2x2 Tank Journal
Kranky
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 3415
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:30 am
Posts Per Page: Perth W.A

Post by Kranky »

Roz wrote:I have been browsing this thread and have found it to be very informative in helping me with choosing what fish I will be getting when I am rehttp://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/images/ ... ers.gifady as I don't want the fish to out grow my tank or not be suited to the size that they will be in


Thanks for you feedback Roz. :thumbsup:
trano
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Post by trano »

there are many pictures missing from the "fish by size" section :( but still great. can i recommend adding a recommended tank size with the profiles?
shona
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 4389
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:21 am
Posts Per Page: South Guildford, WA

Post by shona »

Kranky wrote:Fish by size page has had a bit of a work over to make navigation easier.

There's been 95 views of this thread to date, are people finding it useful?


This is the best fish list I've seen around Ross, great job :thumbsup: Makes fish selection a lot easier!

Only one suggestion: Blue Tang (31cm) is in Medium Fish & should be in Big or Large instead?

:)
Shona Macskasy
* MASWA Committee (Visit MASWA Web site)
* MASA Server admin (web team)


Please email me as I have PMs turned off. Committee members, please text me if possible.
Kranky
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 3415
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:30 am
Posts Per Page: Perth W.A

Post by Kranky »

trano wrote: can i recommend adding a recommended tank size with the profiles?


sure, i'll have a look at that :thumbsup:

shona wrote:Only one suggestion: Blue Tang (31cm) is in Medium Fish & should be in Big or Large instead?

I sort of put that particular specimen everywhere given its profile.
Post Reply

Return to “New to the Hobby”