Chow's 2ft Cube [New Pics 04.07.09]

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Post Reply
Chow
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:26 pm
Posts Per Page: Sutherland, Sydney

Chow's 2ft Cube [New Pics 04.07.09]

Post by Chow »

Hey Guys,

Well ive taken the plunge into the beautiful and expensive world of marine aquariums. Like most people always been a FW person but decided to work with both.

After a long time reading up on marine aquariums i fell in love with the idea of the cube. So i did my research and went for it.

So far i have a 24inch cube built with 10mm glass by xtreme aquariums and ive bought my lighting. I went with the 150W MH with two fluros. Should be enough lighting.

Circulation hasnt been decided yet but im looking into the Seio's. No sump prob just a canister for mech and the LR and LS for bio.

Im going to build my own stand, have drawn the plans, just need to buy the timber and get started. The stand is longer than the tank as it has a cabinet attatched to it.

Im really looking forward to everyones feedback and please please give suggestions on what you think i should stock. I want a pair of clowns not sure what species yet but that about it. So please please give your opinions.

Empty Tank
Image

Tank & Light
Image

Light
Image

Stand
Image


Cheers :thumbsup:
Last edited by Chow on Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:50 am, edited 15 times in total.
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2417
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:23 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne
Contact:

Post by dejavu »

The plans looks good!

Are you going to drill the tank and add a refugium/sump? I HIGHLY recommend it. I have a 12" cube, and will be doing the upgrade this weekend. Man, did I wish I drilled it before setting it up.
Chow
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:26 pm
Posts Per Page: Sutherland, Sydney

Post by Chow »

hey dejavu,

oh i know about your little award winner. I've been watching it for a long time. I dont think ill get it drilled, dont really want a sump, i suppose down the track it i decide to i can but an overflow or something but atm dont want one.

If you ever come in to Kims on a thur or sat say hi cause i work there.

Any other opinions would me nice guys, come one...
tredog
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2550
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:22 am
Posts Per Page: Camden

Post by tredog »

GET THE TANK DRILLED FOR THE LOVE OF MAN GET THE TANK DRILLED!

LOL

Sorry couldn't help that out burst!

I would highly recommend getting the tank drilled. I didn't and regret it hugely. I ran a cannister for a while but then eventually ditched it and run with no cannister or sump. But now I really wish I had a sump sooo many reasons why. AUTO top up, RDSB, Hide away messy cords and skimmers etc... the list goes on.

Also i rate the SEIO. I only have one at the moment but its great!

Cheers, Tre.
If my wife asks I'm researching electricty providers and not buying anything online!!!!!
Chow
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:26 pm
Posts Per Page: Sutherland, Sydney

Post by Chow »

Hey guys, just quick update to say the timber has finally been bought and i will start building during the christmas long weekend. I hope to get it all done in two weeks. Ill post pics as i build...

cheers
muzo8
Centurion Reefer
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:40 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Post by muzo8 »

Yes please do post pics. I'm thinking of building my tank as well, a project that I can do for the new year. Also, if you do make a sump, please post pics. I wanna learn how to set up a sump and so on.

Cheers.
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2417
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:23 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne
Contact:

Post by dejavu »

Chow, I just drilled my tank on friday. 2 20mm (3/4") holes. I got the diamond hole saw off Ebay, ~$45 inc shipping.

The drilling was simple and no sweat. I would recommend you give it a serious consideration.
Chow
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:26 pm
Posts Per Page: Sutherland, Sydney

Post by Chow »

Dejavu, hopefully you took pics as you went, make sure you post them all when you finish. Take care

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!
Chow
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:26 pm
Posts Per Page: Sutherland, Sydney

Post by Chow »

Just a quick update...

Started building my stand today, cut all the timber, built the top and base and put them together. The main structure is nearly all done, just need to add the other set of legs that act as extra support..

Cut Timber
Image

Top and Base
Image

T&B with First set of supports.
Image

Hopefully ill have time to finish the structure tomorrow...
Chow
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:26 pm
Posts Per Page: Sutherland, Sydney

Post by Chow »

Quick update, finished structure today. Now have to build, side panels, bottom, doors shelves etc etc... (the hard part)

heres structure completed.

Image :konk:
Post Reply

Return to “Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)”