Chris' In Wall - Build Thread - now with a tank!

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Post Reply
Roy
Centurion Reefer
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 5:08 am
Posts Per Page: West Melbourne

Re: Chris' In Wall - Build Thread - now with a tank!

Post by Roy »

Looking good.
Getting closer to current times as well!
Roy
cgunther
Centurion Reefer
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:33 pm
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Chris' In Wall - Build Thread - now with a tank!

Post by cgunther »

2/7/2016
Today Andy came around to collect the rocks from the garage holding tank, leaving the corals just on the bare bottom. To make sure we had enough space, I moved all my coral (frags) into the in-wall tank.

This is everything dumped in - I'll glue it later.
Image


3/7/2016
Andy came back for his coral and fish the next day. With everything out, we turned off the power. It had been running for 208 days and overall went pretty well. There was once piece of SPS that turned white (it was already on the way out), and a Yellow Accessor that got sucked in to the inlet of the skimmer pump. It was growing lots of caroline algee (good) and brown hair algee (bad). As my only filtration was a skimmer, I was keeping the hair algee around to suck up nitrates and phosphates. Fortnightly water changes.

And now some coral for the other rock tower. I chiseled off the frag plugs, except the front two that have completely encrusted it. Hopefully the brown one at the front colours up, otherwise its being moved to the back of the tank.
Image

A nice duncan piece that's been hiding away in the holding tank. Hopefully the green skeleton stays around.
Image

And a full tank shot with all the coral moved. Includes the helio and torch I bought the other day.
Image
cgunther
Centurion Reefer
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:33 pm
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Chris' In Wall - Build Thread - now with a tank!

Post by cgunther »

3/7/2016
After the buckets didn't go well for TTM, I switched to glass tanks. On Queens Birthday weekend, Bunarong Aquarium had 2x1x1 foot tanks for $25 each, so I bought two. I think they were a little disappointed when they were unable to sell me gravel, rock, filters or a heater :-)

The airstone could have been the cause of my misfortune, so I swapped to a Jebao WP-10 powerhead. This is too big for a 50L tank, so I turned down the power and pointed it upwards.

Today I went to Williamstown Aquarium and purchased two Black and White clowns and a single Chromis. This time I was a lot more careful with how I acclimatised them into the tank. Hopefully they make it.
Image
cgunther
Centurion Reefer
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:33 pm
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Chris' In Wall - Build Thread - now with a tank!

Post by cgunther »

15/7/2016
Good news, all the fish made it through TTM. :clap:

I dosed Parzi during the second and fourth transfers. The tablets Prazi didn't dissolve that well, and some of it was eaten by the fish.
I also dosed Continuum Fraction to make sure there were no Ammonia spikes. I used water from the fish shop instead of mixing my own.

Here they are in the tank. The clowns are tiny. The chromis smashes the food, but the clowns still get to eat. The clowns are currently hanging around the top corner of the tank (right under the auto feeder) - they haven't found anything to host yet.
Image
cgunther
Centurion Reefer
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:33 pm
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Chris' In Wall - Build Thread - now with a tank!

Post by cgunther »

31/7/2016
Now with the clowns settled, it was time to get some more fish. I was looking for a Bi-Colour Blenny, but Williamstown had already sold two, and the third was on hold for some guy called "abarns". Backup plan was a lawnmower blenny. Ended up with a choosing a Red Spotted Lawnmower (hiding in the corner of the photo) - the lawnmowers are meant to be out and about more than the bi-colour; time will tell. Also purchased a Yellow Accessor which are cool as they swim upside down. Last pick was a Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse. Hopefully they all play nicely in TTM.

Here is my TTM setup, with the new fish hiding.
Image
cgunther
Centurion Reefer
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:33 pm
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Chris' In Wall - Build Thread - now with a tank!

Post by cgunther »

Roy wrote:Looking good.
Getting closer to current times as well!


Thanks Roy. Now up to date!
Roy
Centurion Reefer
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 5:08 am
Posts Per Page: West Melbourne

Re: Chris' In Wall - Build Thread - now with a tank!

Post by Roy »

:D
Roy
BENSONSAN
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:26 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Chris' In Wall - Build Thread - now with a tank!

Post by BENSONSAN »

Awesome mate looks tops!
That Guy Mike
Lurking Reefer
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:36 am
Posts Per Page: Perth

Re: Chris' In Wall - Build Thread - now with a tank!

Post by That Guy Mike »

Chris,

What a fantastic journal. Your efforts so far have been immense. Well done.
I will be following along.

Mike
aidanmary
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:27 am
Posts Per Page: Victoria

Re: Chris' In Wall - Build Thread - now with a tank!

Post by aidanmary »

Hey Chris did you end up having any luck with getting that ricordia to attach to a rock yet?
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)”