Choppa's Trigon 350 (shutdown)

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Post Reply
some_one
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 4259
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:52 am
Posts Per Page: Aubin Grove, Perth

Re: Choppa's Trigon 350

Post by some_one »

Looking good Chop :clap:

Can't wait to see how the tank reacts in summer :o
Brett
My 850L SPS Tank Journal -TOTM October 2013, TOTY R/UP 2013

From WA, join MASWA!!
Reefpedia - Search - Beginners Guide

MASWA Committee member, RTAW Moderator, MASA Committee member
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:32 am
Posts Per Page: Perth WA

Re: Choppa's Trigon 350

Post by Choppa »

Thanks Brett
I believe some things are already responding well to the sun tunnel.

Finally picked up the MASWA quantum meter on Sunday.

Here are some readings at around 11:30 - 12pm - they are consistent between 11-4 most sunny days but vary between 200-800par depending on where the sun rays are hitting.
Image
Image
Image

Chop
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Bluebay
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:17 pm
Posts Per Page: Perth,WA

Re: Choppa's Trigon 350

Post by Bluebay »

Looking nice and bright. How much of the LED's are still being used? Should take the power bill down marginally.
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:32 am
Posts Per Page: Perth WA

Re: Choppa's Trigon 350

Post by Choppa »

Bluebay wrote:Looking nice and bright. How much of the LED's are still being used? Should take the power bill down marginally.


Thanks

I've cut half my leds so half the power (but its still only 105watts worth.)

Cheers
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
WIGARUS
Centurion Reefer
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:25 am
Posts Per Page: Perth, WA

Re: Choppa's Trigon 350

Post by WIGARUS »

Hi Choppa, I saw your post on the algae scrubber forum and was wondering if you are still running a skimmer or not?
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:32 am
Posts Per Page: Perth WA

Re: Choppa's Trigon 350

Post by Choppa »

WIGARUS wrote:Hi Choppa, I saw your post on the algae scrubber forum and was wondering if you are still running a skimmer or not?


Yeh mate - still on. Getting about 1-2 cups of skimmate a week - not sure if I should stop it or not - it's a lot of skimmate but it could be restricting more algae growth. Nitrates are undetectable and phos about 0.03 ish.

Cheers
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
WIGARUS
Centurion Reefer
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:25 am
Posts Per Page: Perth, WA

Re: Choppa's Trigon 350

Post by WIGARUS »

I wouldn't take it off. I was just curious because I don't think I have seen a scrubber only system that can keep sps alive and looking good.

As much as I love algae scrubbers, they aren't a complete solution imo.
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:32 am
Posts Per Page: Perth WA

Re: Choppa's Trigon 350

Post by Choppa »

WIGARUS wrote:I wouldn't take it off. I was just curious because I don't think I have seen a scrubber only system that can keep sps alive and looking good.

As much as I love algae scrubbers, they aren't a complete solution imo.


Yeh I tend to agree - but I might try no skimmer for a bit and see what happens. I've been running a skimmerless gonni only second tank with a make shift scrubber for 3 months now that seems to be going ok.
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:32 am
Posts Per Page: Perth WA

Re: Choppa's Trigon 350

Post by Choppa »

A small update -

new aquascape going ok.
Image

Ric rock looking nice
Image

Clam loving the solar tube
Image

Had this one since start up
Image

Hammer rock
Image

Had this one since it was about the size of a 50c coin
Image

We don't normally name the fish but we call this pig "jabba" he has trippled in size since we got him.
Image

Try as I might but I just can't get the acros to colour up (phos 0.03 & nitrates undetectable)
Image

Overall the new layout is working well :thumbsup:

Cheers
Chop
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2868
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Posts Per Page: Bunbury WA
Contact:

Re: Choppa's Trigon 350

Post by Guv »

Very nice system! :clap:

Has the solar tube introduced much additional heat?
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Post Reply

Return to “Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)”