What happened to RTAW?
Moderator: Moderators
-
colg
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 am
- Posts Per Page: Mackay
Re: What happened to RTAW?
There sure was a lot of momentum and push back in April.
Any updates on how things are progressing?
Any updates on how things are progressing?
-
jayellul
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2471
- Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 10:26 am
- Posts Per Page: Lake Macquarie
Re: What happened to RTAW?
colg wrote:There sure was a lot of momentum and push back in April.
Any updates on how things are progressing?
Likely nothing.
-
wayne2.0
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 654
- Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:27 pm
- Posts Per Page: Redland Bay
Re: What happened to RTAW?
jayellul wrote:colg wrote:There sure was a lot of momentum and push back in April.
Any updates on how things are progressing?
Likely nothing.
The person doing most of the work here got so much abuse ( some he deserved no doubt about that ) it Became to much for him so he left. No one has really stepped up to replace him, with all the negativity why would anyone??
Without a workaholic doing the work things are going to take time.
-
NiCd
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2420
- Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:23 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: What happened to RTAW?
I kinda see this as two separate things - lack of system development vs lack of moderation and I think that person leaving has actually helped open things up a bit and as far as forum content goes we are sadly better off.
If you look at the conversation flow of the posts at the moment everything is much more friendly, people seem less on edge and there is even businesses owners replying in the new to hobby section again.
My knowledge in the whole events is limited to observation within the forum and second hand knowledge of what I have been told from differing sources on what was going on behind the scenes, so forgive me if my perception of the situation is wrong.
I think having less chiefs is a good thing at this point and less again would help remove some of the bureaucracy around change but we have so many old hats with a sense of entitlement around their position titles that have done a lot for the site in the past but refuse to give up the title to make way for the future.
The person that left was an awesome person, a great forum member, a very knowledgeable reefer and the forum lost a great asset for not having him. If it could have been managed that a step down could have taken place before it got to something like this and we managed to keep him on as a contributing member, we would have had the best of both worlds.
The structure of volunteer group forums is inevitably you give people titles as rewards for their works so stripping them of their title would likely piss them off and would likely leave and no longer contribute, if there is a way to manage this differently I think the forum can be not only returned to its former glory but surpass it.
I think the hardest trick will be trimming down the chiefs, getting some more indians to modernise everything but keeping the old chiefs around to continue contributing to content.
Again sorry if my perception of the situation is off.
If you look at the conversation flow of the posts at the moment everything is much more friendly, people seem less on edge and there is even businesses owners replying in the new to hobby section again.
My knowledge in the whole events is limited to observation within the forum and second hand knowledge of what I have been told from differing sources on what was going on behind the scenes, so forgive me if my perception of the situation is wrong.
I think having less chiefs is a good thing at this point and less again would help remove some of the bureaucracy around change but we have so many old hats with a sense of entitlement around their position titles that have done a lot for the site in the past but refuse to give up the title to make way for the future.
The person that left was an awesome person, a great forum member, a very knowledgeable reefer and the forum lost a great asset for not having him. If it could have been managed that a step down could have taken place before it got to something like this and we managed to keep him on as a contributing member, we would have had the best of both worlds.
The structure of volunteer group forums is inevitably you give people titles as rewards for their works so stripping them of their title would likely piss them off and would likely leave and no longer contribute, if there is a way to manage this differently I think the forum can be not only returned to its former glory but surpass it.
I think the hardest trick will be trimming down the chiefs, getting some more indians to modernise everything but keeping the old chiefs around to continue contributing to content.
Again sorry if my perception of the situation is off.
-
Aydee
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1996
- Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:12 am
- Posts Per Page: Canberra
Re: What happened to RTAW?
Hi. There is a little bit of steam. I still plan on pushing for work on the forum. However, I do have to manage my workload.
I've been less active in my mod duties lately because of work in real life. I'm rolling out projects (That pay the bills) etc.
I hope that once it settles down a bit and I get a rhythm going again, I'll then start pushing on with things.
I'd love to do another podcast. Hopefully it will be better than the last one (Which I still think went well, despite poor audio quality).
However, I'm taking personal life first, and then I'll step into MASA life a bit more.
Hopefully before end of year I'll have time to start pushing for more fun and games!
Dave
I've been less active in my mod duties lately because of work in real life. I'm rolling out projects (That pay the bills) etc.
I hope that once it settles down a bit and I get a rhythm going again, I'll then start pushing on with things.
I'd love to do another podcast. Hopefully it will be better than the last one (Which I still think went well, despite poor audio quality).
However, I'm taking personal life first, and then I'll step into MASA life a bit more.
Hopefully before end of year I'll have time to start pushing for more fun and games!
Dave
-
Brett240
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 858
- Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:09 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
-
Rod the Reefer
- Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
- Posts: 6683
- Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:42 am
- Posts Per Page: Greenhill, Adelaide, SA
Re: What happened to RTAW?
Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.
Rod.
Rod.
-
Mr Miagi
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 4468
- Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:29 am
- Posts Per Page: Adelaide, SA
Re: What happened to RTAW?
I have read a bit of this thread after coming back. Well done on keeping it productive.
After seeing multiple forums build from scratch, fall from grace, or stagnate, there seems to be some common standards which either lead to success or failure. The keys seems to be approachable members (regardless of the person/discussion), good content, and a usable software. I think we have all three. I think what will help the most is members enjoying being here, enjoying the forums people/content, and making sure we build on the content with information, journals and threads when you can!

After seeing multiple forums build from scratch, fall from grace, or stagnate, there seems to be some common standards which either lead to success or failure. The keys seems to be approachable members (regardless of the person/discussion), good content, and a usable software. I think we have all three. I think what will help the most is members enjoying being here, enjoying the forums people/content, and making sure we build on the content with information, journals and threads when you can!
--Cheers, Benny
-
Brett240
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 858
- Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:09 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: What happened to RTAW?
quiet around here at the moment.
im replying a lot right now in the aquaria section, especially to keep newer people interested in the board.
the 'like' button would really offer a lot right now, just to give people post feedback as not many could be bothered to reply.
im replying a lot right now in the aquaria section, especially to keep newer people interested in the board.
the 'like' button would really offer a lot right now, just to give people post feedback as not many could be bothered to reply.
-
Sailfin
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1954
- Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:14 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney N.S.W.
Re: What happened to RTAW?
Good Idea Brett
And great to see you contribute
The web team are in the process of finding out about upgrading things but we need to remember these people are busy with family and work and are only able to spend a bit of time when they can on planning changing adding etc it will happen though
Any and all genuine ideas will be taken on board and I'm sure implemented if possible
Cheers
And great to see you contribute
The web team are in the process of finding out about upgrading things but we need to remember these people are busy with family and work and are only able to spend a bit of time when they can on planning changing adding etc it will happen though
Any and all genuine ideas will be taken on board and I'm sure implemented if possible
Cheers
Smile & have a Nice Day