The big fridge
Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals
-
oceanarium
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2533
- Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:52 pm
- Posts Per Page: the coral farm.. Near ledge WA
- Contact:
Re: The big fridge
They grow in a cup like shape or side on like a V so there is only a small attachment till they reach 7-8mm when they really fatten out on the base and encrust to the rocks.
While they are in the small V stage it is quite easy to put something sharp under them and lever off the whole cup shape in one piece. I will try get some pics to show what i mean.
Pete
While they are in the small V stage it is quite easy to put something sharp under them and lever off the whole cup shape in one piece. I will try get some pics to show what i mean.
Pete
-
oceanarium
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2533
- Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:52 pm
- Posts Per Page: the coral farm.. Near ledge WA
- Contact:
Re: The big fridge
OK here is the pictorial of how we move them, first pic is of two as they have settled and grown.

I use a fine pointed butter knife to get under and dislodge them. I have a butter knife for all sorts of jobs around here one of the most useful prop tools

This shows how it has come free in one whole piece, that attachment base only the very bottom of the v shape;

The two bits top and bottom up;

I just use the tiniest spots of glue to hold them in place. As they grow they will lay down a large encrust to the rock.


I use a fine pointed butter knife to get under and dislodge them. I have a butter knife for all sorts of jobs around here one of the most useful prop tools

This shows how it has come free in one whole piece, that attachment base only the very bottom of the v shape;

The two bits top and bottom up;

I just use the tiniest spots of glue to hold them in place. As they grow they will lay down a large encrust to the rock.

-
sabo
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 389
- Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:08 pm
- Posts Per Page: WA
Re: The big fridge
Awesome, thanks for that. Looks like I left it a bit late... I just destroyed my two biggest ones trying to get them off. Or maybe I'm ham fisted. . 

-
oceanarium
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2533
- Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:52 pm
- Posts Per Page: the coral farm.. Near ledge WA
- Contact:
Re: The big fridge
You loose some especially if you've not done a lot. If they are bigger they do still tend to pop off the trick is to try dig in under them. If you push up against them they crush very easy. Bigger ones your probably better with something pointy you can drive in under into the rock below then lever back 
-
sabo
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 389
- Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:08 pm
- Posts Per Page: WA
Re: The big fridge
Roger, I was actually thinking of trying to use a jewelers screwdriver. Might give that a go.
-
oceanarium
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2533
- Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:52 pm
- Posts Per Page: the coral farm.. Near ledge WA
- Contact:
Re: The big fridge
I always love the surrogate nem shots


-
urbanrat84
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 834
- Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:50 am
- Posts Per Page: Qld
Re: The big fridge
Last edited by urbanrat84 on Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
Benhowardbath
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:43 am
- Posts Per Page: Bangalow
Re: The big fridge
Pete,
Your setup is inspiring!! One of the best TJ I have read. Going to borrow a few idea's-1st one dissolving corals in vinegar. Currently using NOPOX and Calc reactor. I will go slowly back off the NOPOX and use the dissolved coral vinegar.
Thanks for sharing Pete!
Ben
Your setup is inspiring!! One of the best TJ I have read. Going to borrow a few idea's-1st one dissolving corals in vinegar. Currently using NOPOX and Calc reactor. I will go slowly back off the NOPOX and use the dissolved coral vinegar.
Thanks for sharing Pete!
Ben
-
oceanarium
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2533
- Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:52 pm
- Posts Per Page: the coral farm.. Near ledge WA
- Contact:
Re: The big fridge
The vinegar thing has been a great success, I mentioned earlier it could possibly cater for a FOWLR system. Well sure enough I lost the Dose pump on one of my systems. Its not 100% stony corals i have several tanks of zoa and morphs, but also 2 of chalice plus the coralines are growing well in the system. Alk is at 190ppm, Ca at 500ppm and I don't use Kalc. My other systems have all greatly reduced the need for additives, so the cost in vinegar is well subsidized by savings in chems.
Some pics below, the big tank and ricordea tank;


Some pics below, the big tank and ricordea tank;


-
Emperor_tang
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 362
- Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:57 am
- Posts Per Page: Perth,wa
Re: The big fridge
Fantastic work. Love the set up!
Hats off to you for putting so much work into making this a more sustainable, environmentally friendly hobby!
I might have to get a few corals off you when I set a new tank up.

I might have to get a few corals off you when I set a new tank up.
