Seahorse breeding
Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding
-
shazagirl
- Lurking Reefer
- Posts: 15
- Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:11 am
- Posts Per Page: melbourne.victoria 3029
Re: Seahorse breeding
I used a small jug, like the one to fill an iron,,,,,,,,,,,, that worked really well.... my boy is about week and half out before giving birth again,,,,,,, have got some foot stockings ,, am planning to pull one over the submersible,,, so at least they dont get sucked up in the external filter this time.... I have been conversing with ppl about using the kriesel method, yes and also am going to experiment with sectioning off my sml tank into two halves,,,,,,, will play with what gives more positive results,,,,,, you say the subelongatus hitch at birth? My 52 had no idea whatsover,, when they were in tank,, i even had a fine, plastic plant and a mesh pole in there, just in case,,,,,, no luck they just kept trying to swim to the top
-
DgrMouse
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 677
- Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:24 am
- Posts Per Page: Western Australia
Re: Seahorse breeding
if you use a light source, a trick is to try and put the light low on the side of the tank... works for me 
Kreisel is the best method I have used to date, as I have made them with buckets cut to size and siliconed into the tank. If you want some pics, just let me know and I will be happy to snaps some and put them up.
Kreisel is the best method I have used to date, as I have made them with buckets cut to size and siliconed into the tank. If you want some pics, just let me know and I will be happy to snaps some and put them up.
-
shazagirl
- Lurking Reefer
- Posts: 15
- Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:11 am
- Posts Per Page: melbourne.victoria 3029
Re: Seahorse breeding
DgrMouse,,,,, Just your thoughts on our subelongatus ,,, I have one boy who has been consistantly giving birth every 3.5 weeks or so,,, since start of summer,,, his first 3 pregnancies produced healthy broods of ave 200 each round,,,, last 3 rounds though,,, every gestation has been ending up in him not being very round,, and when birthing he is firstly,, pumping them out singlely,, and second the few he does have are white and not even fully formed . I questioned this on one of the seahorse forums,, and was explained often this happens come end of their favourable mating seasons,, that the males have a break in the colder months,,, he is besides this,, still very conditioned,, and acts and looks healthy,,,,,,,,,,, any thoughts,,, have any of yours showed this behaviour?
shaz
shaz
-
cooper666
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 207
- Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:36 am
- Posts Per Page: Babinda
Re: Seahorse breeding
Years ago, I did a very short stint at seahorse hatchery while it was in ist developmental stage. Althogh my memory is vague I remember the owners stressing the importance of keeping the bottom of the baby tanks very clean. They found that if they were not rigerous, cilliates would attack from the inside of the snout and kill them. Also was led to believe that art naups were no good until they had developed a mouth and anus, at which time they were enriched with a HUFA product. The baby seahorses could not digest freshly hatched arts as their mechanical digesitve ability was not strong enough to crack their shells and release the nutrients within. They also claimed that baby seahorses could be over fed. They would eat until artemia came out the other end undigested. Not sure how much of this is factual, perhaps there's something in.
My tank - Frenchys Reef viewtopic.php?f=148&t=257945
-
gianniz
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 287
- Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:53 pm
- Posts Per Page: Blacktown
Re: Seahorse breeding
anyone in Sydney breed seahorse? I'm looking for mass purchase and hopefully constant supply. PM me pretty please
-
fishguy23
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2661
- Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:25 am
- Posts Per Page: wamuran, QLD.
Re: Seahorse breeding
Serious question why mass produced and constant supply? Human consumption?
Travis's nano cuboid Shut down
3 foot shallow, rimless, led lit reef odyssey Shut down
90x90x50 Rimless t5 powered reef shut down due to leak :,(
Difficult and Special Care Species List
A List of Good Beginner Fish
3 foot shallow, rimless, led lit reef odyssey Shut down
90x90x50 Rimless t5 powered reef shut down due to leak :,(
Difficult and Special Care Species List
A List of Good Beginner Fish
-
Hoffy
- Curious Reefer
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:02 am
- Posts Per Page: Camden, australia
Re: Seahorse breeding
Hey dgrmouse, havent bred as yet but this is my seahorse tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
DgrMouse
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 677
- Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:24 am
- Posts Per Page: Western Australia
Re: Seahorse breeding
very cool!!
-
jerlinjames
- Hi, I am new around here!
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:48 am
- Posts Per Page: Beeliar, Perth, WA
Re: Seahorse breeding
Hi dgrmouse,
I dream of keeping a seahorse tank. They have always facinated me and would love to own a seahorse tank soon now that I have my own house.
Will be following this thread closely.
I dream of keeping a seahorse tank. They have always facinated me and would love to own a seahorse tank soon now that I have my own house.
Will be following this thread closely.