I am waiting to see what else I lose before I make any changes to the display- there is no point in spending time rearranging things only to have more losses and need to rearrange again. Plus, moving the corals now would add more stress that they don't need right now.
G1v1n's Skimmerless Liverockless Reef [Winner TOTM Jan08]
Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals
-
G1v1n
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 721
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 am
- Posts Per Page: Mandurah,W.A.
Thanks guys
it means a lot to get so many offers of help and I will take you up on it but I will leave things as they are until things settle down and I see improvement in the current corals(in the last hour the water just turned milky for no apparent reason)- I am suspecting the green hammer that bleached- one of my favourites originally a frag from itdepends.
I am waiting to see what else I lose before I make any changes to the display- there is no point in spending time rearranging things only to have more losses and need to rearrange again. Plus, moving the corals now would add more stress that they don't need right now.
I am waiting to see what else I lose before I make any changes to the display- there is no point in spending time rearranging things only to have more losses and need to rearrange again. Plus, moving the corals now would add more stress that they don't need right now.
-
Rhys123
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 3752
- Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:54 am
- Posts Per Page: Darwin NT (I am about to escape Hill Billy Heaven)
-
blackers10
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 920
- Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:20 pm
- Posts Per Page: Narangba, QLD
that is an AWESOME tank with no mechanical filtration...
would you reccomend others going down the same path with just some live rock(Rather than colonising limestone etc)??
as it dramatically decreases the costs of setup etc
having it completely see through to allow viewing from both sides is great too
would you reccomend others going down the same path with just some live rock(Rather than colonising limestone etc)??
as it dramatically decreases the costs of setup etc
having it completely see through to allow viewing from both sides is great too
-
G1v1n
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 721
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 am
- Posts Per Page: Mandurah,W.A.
-
G1v1n
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 721
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 am
- Posts Per Page: Mandurah,W.A.
Re: G1v1n's Skimmerless Liverockless Reef [Winner TOTM Jan08
I thought Id add an update in case anyone was following this thread as havent visited the forums for a few years now and to be honest, have paid very little attention to my tank. It is still running well though in the same format except ive changed to LEDs. The sump houses a DSB only. Still no skimmer and ive been really slack and not done a water change for at least 18 months. Ill try to get some current pics up soon.
-
Choppa
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1186
- Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:32 am
- Posts Per Page: Perth WA
Re: G1v1n's Skimmerless Liverockless Reef [Winner TOTM Jan08
This is a great tank set up mate - pics please 

Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Dear old dad
-
G1v1n
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 721
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 am
- Posts Per Page: Mandurah,W.A.
Re: G1v1n's Skimmerless Liverockless Reef [Winner TOTM Jan08
Lets see if i remember how to put up photos.


-
G1v1n
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 721
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 am
- Posts Per Page: Mandurah,W.A.
Re: G1v1n's Skimmerless Liverockless Reef [Winner TOTM Jan08
Ok, i got it now.
Ive been a bit over reef tanks for a while but my interest is starting again.
The tank has existed like this for a few years with no water changes or cleaning and i was so slack i wasnt even refilling the randys additives, often running out for weeks at a time.
All i have done recently is to add the blue tang and foxface, sell off some morphs and put in the green hammer. I cleaned the glass and did a 120l water change ,otherwise it is just how it survived all my neglect.(even down to the dead acro colony I havent removed yet)




Ive seen some amazing new tanks on here, I look forward to meeting reefers around here, old and new.
Ive been a bit over reef tanks for a while but my interest is starting again.
The tank has existed like this for a few years with no water changes or cleaning and i was so slack i wasnt even refilling the randys additives, often running out for weeks at a time.
All i have done recently is to add the blue tang and foxface, sell off some morphs and put in the green hammer. I cleaned the glass and did a 120l water change ,otherwise it is just how it survived all my neglect.(even down to the dead acro colony I havent removed yet)




Ive seen some amazing new tanks on here, I look forward to meeting reefers around here, old and new.
-
Raven
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 785
- Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:32 pm
- Posts Per Page: Mirrabooka, Perth, WA
Re: G1v1n's Skimmerless Liverockless Reef [Winner TOTM Jan08
amazing tank, made even more so by how you've done it unconventionally.
the cloudiness subsided as quickly as it came. It could have been a snail spawn and the hammer was affected by it. The hammer looks better(but still pale) it was a close call, I was ready to sacrifice it to save the rest of the tank.