For circulation, I use the Fuge return flow alongside a Hydor Koralia 900 running peninsular (sort of) to give that little bit of flow to the tank. Detrius is a real problem, alongside of the thousands of bristleworks (one as long at 30cm!!). The only way to combat this is to be meticulous during water changes and siphon out as much as possible. I'll try to get a half decent picture of the stup tonight for you.
Seahorse breeding
Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding
-
DgrMouse
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 677
- Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:24 am
- Posts Per Page: Western Australia
Re: Seahorse breeding
OK breeding tanks... my breeding thank is my 4x14x18 DT which is currently looking abysmal, as I am getting ready to transfer them to my new 5x2x2(need to build my arduino to control my soon to be DIY led setup). This is a simple tank with fuge below, totalling approx 200L. Within this tank I have heaps of moprhs, zoos and xenia, and a clam (surprisingly it does really well
) A simple 120W LED light is sitting above with 50% white 50% blue on an analogue timer.
For circulation, I use the Fuge return flow alongside a Hydor Koralia 900 running peninsular (sort of) to give that little bit of flow to the tank. Detrius is a real problem, alongside of the thousands of bristleworks (one as long at 30cm!!). The only way to combat this is to be meticulous during water changes and siphon out as much as possible. I'll try to get a half decent picture of the stup tonight for you.
For circulation, I use the Fuge return flow alongside a Hydor Koralia 900 running peninsular (sort of) to give that little bit of flow to the tank. Detrius is a real problem, alongside of the thousands of bristleworks (one as long at 30cm!!). The only way to combat this is to be meticulous during water changes and siphon out as much as possible. I'll try to get a half decent picture of the stup tonight for you.
-
DgrMouse
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 677
- Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:24 am
- Posts Per Page: Western Australia
Re: Seahorse breeding
Well,
thanks to the Perth heat
and my cooling fan throwing a blade today
, looks like we are starting from scratch with babies again... I have lost all but 4 little seahorses, and even they don't look too flash
Dammit dammit dammit.... they were 5 weeks old and were growing like champions... i feel gutted at the moment...

thanks to the Perth heat
and my cooling fan throwing a blade today
, looks like we are starting from scratch with babies again... I have lost all but 4 little seahorses, and even they don't look too flash
Dammit dammit dammit.... they were 5 weeks old and were growing like champions... i feel gutted at the moment...

-
saint
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 107
- Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:01 pm
- Posts Per Page: vic
Re: Seahorse breeding
Damn! sorry for the loss
Ive always had a soft spot for sea horses
Ive always had a soft spot for sea horses
-
TheJordans
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 193
- Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:51 am
- Posts Per Page: Melbourne
Re: Seahorse breeding
Just saw this thread for the first time *blush*
Add us to your list of people casually breeding our seahorses - though this is al very new to us. (They only had their first lot of bubs in Nov whom we subsequently lost in the house move 3days later
)
We keep Barbouri: 3 females, 2 males.
We've witnessed lots of dancing, and were even fortunate enough to witness the actual depositing of eggs just two weeks ago :D So fingers crossed we have a new batch of fry soon.
We'd be very keen to read about your experiences, and to share some of our own when the time comes!!
Bek & Les
Add us to your list of people casually breeding our seahorses - though this is al very new to us. (They only had their first lot of bubs in Nov whom we subsequently lost in the house move 3days later
)We keep Barbouri: 3 females, 2 males.
We've witnessed lots of dancing, and were even fortunate enough to witness the actual depositing of eggs just two weeks ago :D So fingers crossed we have a new batch of fry soon.
We'd be very keen to read about your experiences, and to share some of our own when the time comes!!
Bek & Les
-
King Venom
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2318
- Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:22 pm
- Posts Per Page: Albany West Australia
Re: Seahorse breeding
I got some wild caught males that are pregnant ATM can you point me in the direction of a guild to make a raising unit.
-
cajsw
- Curious Reefer
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:38 am
- Posts Per Page: adelaide
Re: Seahorse breeding
i have a set of Augustus pony's that are having there second set of babies in 15 days.....got the second tank ready for him and hopefully some pretty pony bubs soon. 
IF YOU AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED
LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS.!
LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS.!
-
DgrMouse
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 677
- Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:24 am
- Posts Per Page: Western Australia
Re: Seahorse breeding
Awesome:) good luck!!!
-
wfh
- Curious Reefer
- Posts: 26
- Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:48 am
- Posts Per Page: Windsor NSW
- Contact:
Re: Seahorse breeding
My seahorse male gave birth on Tuesday 1 September, they are now 7 days old, I started with about 30 I didn't see them being born, so I may have lost a lot in the system they were born in, out of the 30 I have more than half still alive, I have been feeding with marine snow and trying live daphnia which seems to still be to big, I have also used brine shrimp, it comes hatched in a jar its not alive but is very small, they do seem to be eating it, my pipefish love it. Can anyone suggest food to feed them, they are kuda seahorse and appear to already have a really nice yellow colour on many.
They are in a tank that hangs on the side of the main marine tank, air bubbles are used to move the water from the main tank to the seahorse tank, which creates a very small amount of flow, yet still keeping the water moving and changing all the time. I keep a blue light on another tank which is connected to this tank to keep the pH from dropping at night.the tanks is very small only 2 ltrs so the seahorse don't have to expend much energy when feeding. I put in fresh food every two hrs in the day, and leave the tank from 6pm to 8am the next day without putting in any food.
They are in a tank that hangs on the side of the main marine tank, air bubbles are used to move the water from the main tank to the seahorse tank, which creates a very small amount of flow, yet still keeping the water moving and changing all the time. I keep a blue light on another tank which is connected to this tank to keep the pH from dropping at night.the tanks is very small only 2 ltrs so the seahorse don't have to expend much energy when feeding. I put in fresh food every two hrs in the day, and leave the tank from 6pm to 8am the next day without putting in any food.
-
shazagirl
- Lurking Reefer
- Posts: 15
- Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:11 am
- Posts Per Page: melbourne.victoria 3029
Re: Seahorse breeding
Have been closely reading all your notes, dgrmouse,,,,,,,,,, on how to set up a fry tank,,,,, I too have subelongatus,,,,,,,,,, 6 of them, and one of my males gave birth, for the first time,,,,,,, counted 150 fry,,,,,, saved half of these the morning i found he lost his belly, the other half, we found in the filters, when we did our maintenance. all died in first 24 hours, except one, he survived 7 days,, so now I am going to improve on lengthening survival odds, with more appropriate tank set up etc,,
-
DgrMouse
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 677
- Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:24 am
- Posts Per Page: Western Australia
Re: Seahorse breeding
Awesome
It takes practice knowing when your about to have another arrival. Usually it takes up to 4 weeks from when he first gets the eggs to when he dumps them. It normally happens late at night or early just before sunrise. You could try running some filter mesh just before your overflow or even putting the male in a breeding basket at night when he gets close.
How did you transfer them to your fry tank? I find a turkey baster is the easiest option for me
How did you transfer them to your fry tank? I find a turkey baster is the easiest option for me